Author Topic: Rider Drag Chutes  (Read 11393 times)

Offline Ratliff

Rider Drag Chutes
« on: December 10, 2008, 12:41:43 AM »
A former holder of the World Land Speed Record observed that a sort of macho culture has built up in land speed racing which has resulted in cars being built with primitive primary and secondary safety concerns, leaving Bonneville drivers running unnecessarily high risks due to minimal safety structures.

Everyone who watched the video of Jason McVicar's separation from his bike at 240 mph saw that separating from his bike not only did absolutely nothing to shorten the distance McVicar traveled after leaving the bike, but that the bike could easily have ended up back on top of him.

Despite McVicar's crash, despite the fact it wasn't the first time a rider had separated from a land speed bike going 200 mph, despite Dave Owen's fatal crash at an ECTA meet, despite the fact personnel drag chutes have worked in drag boats for years, and despite the fact there is plenty of time before the next season for a sufficient number of rider drag chutes to be manufactured, the SCTA has officially chosen to ignore my very well informed advice about mandating rider drag chutes.

(In the attached photo of Larry Welch's rocket bike, designed and built by Arvil Porter, note the rider drag chute on Welch's back and the canard wings on Welch's bike.)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 12:48:26 AM by Ratliff »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Rider Drag Chutes
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 12:48:56 AM »
A former holder of the World Land Speed Record observed that a sort of macho culture has built up in land speed racing which has resulted in cars being built with primitive primary and secondary safety concerns, leaving Bonneville drivers running unnecessarily high risks due to minimal safety structures.

Everyone who watched the video of Jason McVicar's separation from his bike at 240 mph saw that separating from his bike not only did absolutely nothing to shorten the distance McVicar traveled after leaving the bike, but that the bike could easily have ended up back on top of him.

Despite McVicar's crash, despite the fact it wasn't the first time a rider had separated from a land speed bike going 200 mph, despite Dave Owen's fatal crash at an ECTA meet, despite the fact personnel drag chutes have worked in drag boats for years, and despite the fact there is plenty of time before the next season for a sufficient number of rider drag chutes to be manufactured, the SCTA has officially chosen to ignore my very well informed advice about mandating rider drag chutes.

Franklin,

Please consider this a very serious question:

Do you want to be banned yet again?

If so please keep posting this drivel you do so well.

John

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 12:59:15 AM »

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 01:02:05 AM »

Franklin,

Please consider this a very serious question:

Do you want to be banned yet again?

If so please keep posting this drivel you do so well.

John

Unlike a "real racer", I didn't wait for Jason McVicar to happen before proposing rider drag chutes for open land speed bike racers.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4250.0.html

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:05:58 AM by Ratliff »

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 01:12:39 AM »

Jason is more of a racer than you could even dream of being....

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 01:14:13 AM »

Jason is more of a racer than you could even dream of being....

Jason I am sure would state after what he went through he would not have wanted a rider chute...he walked to dinner that evening. :cheers:

Jason..?

J

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 01:24:43 AM »

Attached is a 1974 photo of genius designer/builder Arvil Porter, creator of the hydrogen peroxide rocket bike, riding his own rocket bike. Note the rider drag chute Arvil is wearing.

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 01:27:30 AM »

racin jason

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 01:33:08 AM »
I think the drag chute would have slowed my slide much sooner than without but i would hate to have an accidental deployment when i was making a pass. 

Maybe a chute on the bike so it doesn't "collect" the rider.

Once again the rules are minimums and riders have the choice to exceed the printed minimum safety rules if they so choose.

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 01:37:06 AM »
I think the drag chute would have slowed my slide much sooner than without but i would hate to have an accidental deployment when i was making a pass. 

Once again the rules are minimums and riders have the choice to exceed the printed minimum safety rules if they so choose.

A chute and something to keep the head from not going forward when the chute is going backward....ouch...

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 01:52:10 AM »

Jason - The chute is released by a static line connected to the bike. The chute deploys because the rider is already leaving the bike.

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 01:55:23 AM »
Accidental deployment was the terminology used and was mentioned as a concern, please keep up..

What different injuries would Jason have had with a deathchute I mean Parachute..

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 02:02:40 AM »
Accidental deployment was the terminology used and was mentioned as a concern, please keep up..

What different injuries would Jason have had with a deathchute I mean Parachute..

Your conclusions are not supported by any empirical experience, i.e. reality.

With the creation of the Hayabusa, Suzuki engineers have made some bike racers think they're geniuses.

Larry Welch, the first drag bike racer to go 200 mph, wore a rider drag chute. Arvil Porter, the man who designed and built the rocket motors and frame for Welch's bike, himself wore a rider drag chute when running his own rocket drag bike, achieving a personal best of 196 mph.

Some bike racers dismiss the idea of the rider drag chute for the sole reason that because they didn't think of it themselves it therefore must be a bad idea.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 02:05:34 AM by Ratliff »

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 02:12:58 AM »

With the creation of the Hayabusa, Suzuki engineers have made some bike racers think they're geniuses.

Larry Welch, the first drag bike racer to go 200 mph, wore a rider drag chute. Arvil Porter, the man who designed and built the rocket motors and frame for Welch's bike, himself wore a rider drag chute when running his own rocket drag bike, achieving a personal best of 196 mph.

Some bike racers dismiss the idea of the rider drag chute for the sole reason that because they didn't think of it themselves it therefore must be a bad idea.

Ratcliff,

Thank you for once again not answering the questions asked of you in response to the BS you blatantly post here over and over.

Have you ever raced at the salt or the lakes Maxton even in any vehicle other than a dream machine?

Have you ever volunteered to assist any of the organizations  while attending a time trial?

Have you even one timing slip from above Org's?

I am betting the simple answer will be a resounding NO...

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 02:18:35 AM »

Ratcliff,

Thank you for once again not answering the questions asked of you in response to the BS you blatantly post here over and over.

Have you ever raced at the salt or the lakes Maxton even in any vehicle other than a dream machine?

Have you ever volunteered to assist any of the organizations  while attending a time trial?

Have you even one timing slip from above Org's?

I am betting the simple answer will be a resounding NO...

How many motorcycle frames have you designed and built? Have you ever designed from scratch a motorcycle engine? Since you run in a category that doesn't even require drag chutes, what is your experience installing, packing, and releasing chutes?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 02:31:44 AM by Ratliff »