Author Topic: Who is in charge of the SCTA-BNI.org website?  (Read 10742 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: Who is in charge of the SCTA-BNI.org website?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 11:18:22 AM »
John, I agree with you totally. I can see a lot of storage space and bandwidth for the pictures, but the text results for the last 50 years wouldn't take 10 megabytes. The entire car and bike records for 2008 are 189K.

I'm happy to provide a hosting account free of charge if space is an issue.

Thanks Tyson. I'm sure we could find a hundred generous people that would take care of the problem, but the SCTA has to take care of this.

The difficulty with electronic storage is the very short life time. If someone donates space it could disappear on a moments notice. It happened to a donated Boy Scout district server I was involved with.

So, how do we get SCTA to fix this?

Where are the record runs stored now? How do we get them digitized and put up on the SCTA web site permanently? All of them. The entire history of the SCTA. I don't think there is a week goes by that someone doesn't post here asking about a run from the past.

The pictures are important too. Now you are talking money. Storage space and bandwidth quickly become a big issue. There are thousands of pictures taken every year at Bonneville alone.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Geo

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 12:38:51 PM »
What to keep and what not to keep should be by responsability to fluff.  Some examples for thought and discussion.

Records are the responsibility of the organization level primary.  Photos of SCTA people working the event very nice to know and remember with no other site having them level secondary.  Photos of cars are covered in Sumner's great site so on SCTA it's fluff level tertiary.

Same with deleting data for whatever reason.  Permanent no delete.  Mix must discuss.  Fluff is first to go.

Geo

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 12:59:28 PM »
How many members in the SCTA (and or) BNI?  Charge us $5.00 more per year.

Upgrade to the best ISP.  Back up everything religiously.

Need help with drudge work?  My email is in my profile.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 01:35:54 PM »
Photos of cars are covered in Sumner's great site so on SCTA it's fluff level tertiary.

Sumner's site is great. That doesn't mean it's permanent. It's the SCTA's job to preserve its history.

There is no such thing as fluff. It's all important. There was an ad this weekend for a terrabyte drive for $249. That's a thousand gigabytes. That's a million megabytes. Storage is cheaper than dirt.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:38:13 PM by Dean Los Angeles »
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 03:10:16 PM »
not to offend whom ever has volunteered to do the site in the past but with the money generated with the BNI and the SCTA events they ought to be able to hire a professional company to do justice to the racers who support the SCTA.... in this modern age they can easily put out a request for design and hosting services for darn near free
kent

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 03:49:06 PM »
Photos of cars are covered in Sumner's great site so on SCTA it's fluff level tertiary.

Sumner's site is great. That doesn't mean it's permanent. It's the SCTA's job to preserve its history............

I agree totally.  I could get run over by a truck tomorrow and my nephews might never pay to keep the site up and it would be gone.  If something similar happened to someone running the SCTA site it would continue on with the organization.

.............. Storage is cheaper than dirt..........

It sure is and the cost to them to keep the history plus pictures up would be a small drop in the bucket compared to their annual operating costs.

c ya,

Sum

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 04:03:56 PM »

Sumner's site is great. That doesn't mean it's permanent. It's the SCTA's job to preserve its history............

I agree totally.  I could get run over by a truck tomorrow and my nephews might never pay to keep the site up and it would be gone.  If something similar happened to someone running the SCTA site it would continue on with the organization.

.............. Storage is cheaper than dirt..........

It sure is and the cost to them to keep the history plus pictures up would be a small drop in the bucket compared to their annual operating costs.

c ya,

Sum

Sum,

From now on can we just refer to you as "Fluff".... :wink:

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 07:29:17 PM »
There was an ad this weekend for a terrabyte drive for $249. That's a thousand gigabytes. That's a million megabytes. Storage is cheaper than dirt.

I picked up a Western Digital Terrabyte external drive from Costco a month ago for $179! :-D

I am afraid the past history of the SCTA ending up like the AMA (can't find the files in the basement) and FIM (we update every 5 yrs needed or not).  :x
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 07:39:19 PM »
Why don't you just save it when it's posted and then you have the data on your computer or a print out.  :?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 07:46:53 PM »
that would be easy for one person to do glen....but the real thing is the credibility of an organization is established by the way it protects and promotes its past accomplishments.... it does no good if you say youve been around for 60 years and cant prove your activities
Kent
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:49:01 PM by 1212FBGS »

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 08:22:52 PM »
Why don't you just save it when it's posted and then you have the data on your computer or a print out.  :?

Glen,

With all respect I will just say imagine that you paid for an extended warrantee for your Duramax and GM said that they stopped keeping their records and it was on you to prove that you had purchased the extended warrantee to take care of your claim a few years later however during the warrantee period..do you see where I and all of the other racers are going with this..?

John

PS, hope to be online tonight so you can yell at me then.... 8-)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 08:34:54 PM »
John, the thing is they are available and anytime I need something I e-mail Ed and he will send it to me. Maybe the archive files for the event should be available by clicking onto the archives if they make a spot for a read and or print only so they can't be tampered with. I down load them for the club files so I can look into what was done. When I was the chief timer I had copies of every meet (SCTA/BNI)
property and turned over to Bob Webb and now Frank Scott is the keeper.
GB
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 08:48:22 PM »
John, the thing is they are available and anytime I need something I e-mail Ed and he will send it to me. Maybe the archive files for the event should be available by clicking onto the archives if they make a spot for a read and or print only so they can't be tampered with. I down load them for the club files so I can look into what was done. When I was the chief timer I had copies of every meet (SCTA/BNI)
property and turned over to Bob Webb and now Frank Scott is the keeper.
GB

Glen,

I as all of the others have stated say that this information from just 6 meets ago should be available to the masses....