Author Topic: $ per HP  (Read 16683 times)

racin jason

Re: $ per HP
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 01:58:50 AM »
I would like to know where you can get a complete busa motor with TBs, harness, ECU, dash for 1500$.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/crate_engines/victor_650.shtml

THis motor makes 650HP and sells for 12,800$.

The BB is cheaper.

I have bought complete busa engines less  electrics for $750-2000. as we throw away the pistons and rods and re-do the trannys i can buy a less than perfect engine for small money and have a great base to build on.

To date i have melted three pistons, one head, scored two cylinders, bent one shift fork, broke one chain, chunked three tires and destroyed one complete bike.

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 07:56:32 AM »
when you say how much to build the engine are you talking just the
long block and intake/injectors?
If so my 4 Cly. comes in at:    1260 hp/123 ci/$5400.00
                                         10.25hp per cubic inch  (approx.at) crank
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 09:13:38 AM »
I would like to know where you can get a complete busa motor with TBs, harness, ECU, dash for 1500$.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/crate_engines/victor_650.shtml

This motor makes 650HP and sells for 12,800$.

The BB is cheaper.

Yes it is cheaper to make 650 HP with a BBC, but that motor won't begin to be competitive in any car it would run in, so to make a BBC that is competitive with similar HP to displacement ratios as the 'busa would cost a lot of money as Jason pointed out.

In reality parts (rod, pistons, cams, etc.) all cost about the same for the same quality regardless of which motor you are building.  For instance JE pistons for your 'busa, Buick, chevy, ford, ............... will all cost similar for custom made ones.  The rod situation for custom rods will be about the same deal.  If you want to make the most HP to be competitive this is the road you will probably have to travel.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 09:24:39 AM »
Cost is forgotten when you receive the red hat and hang the certificate.   8-)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 11:04:40 AM »

That's how I picked up my 1952 Fender Telecaster

bragger!....ah ha....I hope it gives you splinters.....gotta say I am glad I bought my last Tele from the states before the exchange rate slumped.. :-o

Splinters - no.  Headaches - yes.  After about three years, I dumped it after realizing that I couldn't go to the bar for a cocktail without worrying about somebody running off with it.

But the cash went into the MGB, a decision I never regretted.  Which is kind of to my point to JH.

Know what you want, establish a price in your head as to what you're willing to pay, develop your contacts, (it helped that I worked in and with a half dozen music stores and pawn shops during the '90s) keep liquid, and wait it out.  I think that given the markets at the present, it should be sooner than later, and you will find that bargain busa motor.

Yep - I'm a Vulture!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 12:48:17 PM »
Guys, please dong get me wrong, what I am saying is I 100% agree that a busa motor is a better choice to go fast cheap (it is my engine of choice after all) but all I am saying is that I honestly believe that HP for dollar you can make more power with a big block cheaper than the SAME HP in a busa, not who will go faster or break more records.

Also, you are correct that you can find “deals” and this is truly part of the game. This comparison should be based on “going rates” and MSRP to do a fair comparison that will apply to any Joe that is considering building a project and not just one time lottery win. I based the basic cost of a complete busa motor on what they currently and have consistently sold for on ebay and other places I have seen busa motors for sale. While there are exceptions to the rule from what I have seen the going rate for a complete car kit GEN I busa motor is around 2500-3000$ and a GEN II is 4-5K$. If anyone knows a place I (or anyone) can get a complete motor consistently for 1500$ please let me know (I have some people that would be very interested in getting a few). The example of the Edelbrock Musi 555 (making 650 HP) at 12800$ was the price listed on Summit Racing.

Again baring what motor will break more records I would like to see a busa motor making 650HP for 12800 complete.

-JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 12:56:20 PM »
when you say how much to build the engine are you talking just the
long block and intake/injectors?
If so my 4 Cly. comes in at:    1260 hp/123 ci/$5400.00
                                         10.25hp per cubic inch  (approx.at) crank

I think that what the cost for anyone to turn key the power at the crank. Meaning it should include fuel management, computers, turbos-blowers, water injection, No2, labor (personal and other) and anything else that would be required to reproduce the same motor and HP.

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 04:13:02 PM »
.................Again baring what motor will break more records I would like to see a busa motor making 650HP for 12800 complete.......

Well if the goal is to just make 650 HP with any motor or combo regardless of displacement or power adder you could do it for way less than $12,800,

Sum

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2008, 04:29:08 PM »
Very true Sum, but I wanted an example that could be price verified and people wouldn’t say the engine was crap or used false claims of performance.

I chose 650 hp because the busa motor can make it also for a reference point (busa wont ever make 3000HP).

So far who has the lowest $ per HP?

*Andres Segovia

Offline racergeo

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2008, 12:25:03 AM »

Hi fellas. No doubt in my mind that any 16 valve 4 cyl.with a turbo on it,Busa,Honda VTech,the Mopar out of the Speed Demon and many others would win the HP per cube contest hands down. If your in the right place at the right time the cost might be good as well. John Rains lil v6 Buick makes 1700 hp. Small engines have less parasitic HP loss and just do better.

Having said that GIVE ME A SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ANY DAY. Sorry couldn't resist.
  A cost is no object SB Chevy can make near 3 HP c.i. A 500 in. Pro Stock engine is about 2.65 They sound better also. Anyway fun stuff to pipe dream about in the middle of winter. 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 11:21:18 AM »
JNuts, the most I've given for a busa motor with everything, including all the crap I didn't use was $1800, and that one was in 2000 when there weren't a lot of them out there...

$ per HP... who cares...  :-P :-P

$ per MPH, matters a lot more, the last ones are always more expensive than the first ones...  :wink:

$ per RECORD... if you are keeping track you should find another hobby...

Like Larry said.... Red Hat ... yours or the ones you help facilitate... Priceless...  :wink:

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 12:33:22 PM »

Hi fellas. No doubt in my mind that any 16 valve 4 cyl.with a turbo on it,Busa,Honda VTech,the Mopar out of the Speed Demon and many others would win the HP per cube contest hands down. If your in the right place at the right time the cost might be good as well. John Rains lil v6 Buick makes 1700 hp. Small engines have less parasitic HP loss and just do better.

Having said that GIVE ME A SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ANY DAY. Sorry couldn't resist.
  A cost is no object SB Chevy can make near 3 HP c.i. A 500 in. Pro Stock engine is about 2.65 They sound better also. Anyway fun stuff to pipe dream about in the middle of winter. 

I would like to know how much he spent on that Dutweiller built Buick too.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:48:48 PM by bvillercr »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 09:26:35 PM »
Making HPs is one thing but making HPs that will go 5 miles WFO and do it over and over again until you have the Red or Blue hat is what really cost money. Big dollar crank shafts, rods etc don't make horse power, they allow you to make horse power long enough to break records not just pull on the dyno load cell.

Stainless, how much hp do you make with the 1000 in your sons bike?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 09:39:17 PM »
I am with STAINLESS I :cheers:---don't ever add up the price of toys----you can either do IT  are you can't--- and have to stop or get killed by the spouse---well maybe only have to sleep in the shop or trailer :-D!!!!!!--spoken by one who is on the CUSP--over a set of better heads----any one want a shot at n UNLIMTED lisc. for a set of PRO STOCK HEADs? LOL  :evil:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 10:43:32 PM »
--- and have to stop or get killed by the spouse---

An interesting point I'll make here - A spouse may grumble or might not understand, but nothing will send my wife into a fit of anger more than me starting a project and not finishing it.

I still have to watch the pennies, but if I don't get this done, THEN I'll have hell to pay.

And regardless of how fast or slow I wind up going, hell is something I simply cannot afford.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: