Author Topic: $ per HP  (Read 16626 times)

Offline DallasV

$ per HP
« on: December 05, 2008, 11:16:12 AM »
On one of the other threads I read hotnuts post about the cost of a Busa Motor. I am now curious as to find bargain basement HP. So if anyone is interested, how many $ per HP are you spending (If you don't wan't to share what you spend I understand, but this is for science). I'm talking complete engine only. We run a 500" chev in A/GR. Complete motor was roughly $18,000 in in parts (when we originaly built it) and builds about 950 HP. You don't need to show how much you spent or how much HP it makes but if you share the $ per HP it would be cool.

$ per HP = $18.94.

Thought this might be interesting and help folks who are trying to make power plant decisions.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: $ per HP
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 11:32:07 AM »

$ per HP= 10.00
HP per cu. in.=2.25

WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 03:25:15 PM »
$20.00 $ per hp
hp per cubic inch 2.0
Both of which are likely to increase
Later Rocket

http://www.SaltSurfers.com
Nothing succeeds like persistence. I hope!

Offline sabat

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 05:08:47 PM »
I just bought a spare Kawasaki ZX10 motor for $700, without throttle bodies. It should make about 155-160hp, so about $5/hp.  :-D

racin jason

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 06:27:38 PM »
600hp turbo hayabusa engine package $15-17,000usd                    400hp turbo hayabusa engine package $9,500

Base engine                       $1500                                                          $1,500
Rods, pistons, trans mods  $2,500                                                         $2,500
Turbo system                    $11,000-13,000.                                          $5,500

7.5hp/cu inch                                                                                           5hp/cu in
$28/hp                                                                                                    $23.75/hp

How much would a 500" BBC that made 3750hp cost?
Bike engines are cheap hp.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 06:36:11 PM »
I start figuring the math . . .

and then I start to feel kinda silly . . .

So far, it's ~$30.00 per CI . . . for the crankshaft.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 07:38:46 PM »
As a rule, it seems the "additional" horsepower cost more each, compared to the base hosrsepower.  I guess we should plan for the maximum from the start to save money.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

John Romero

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 10:53:01 PM »
540HP / 91 CID / $7,400
~14$/HP
5.9HP/CI

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 11:53:58 PM »
600hp turbo hayabusa engine package $15-17,000usd                    400hp turbo hayabusa engine package $9,500

Base engine                       $1500                                                          $1,500
Rods, pistons, trans mods  $2,500                                                         $2,500
Turbo system                    $11,000-13,000.                                          $5,500

7.5hp/cu inch                                                                                           5hp/cu in
$28/hp                                                                                                    $23.75/hp

How much would a 500" BBC that made 3750hp cost?
Bike engines are cheap hp.

jason,

Thank you for not only taking the time to put to print the true (cheap for a busa) costs yet also convey that a BBC engine build is expensive when done right.

Merry X-mas you Canuck.

J

J

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 12:05:57 AM »
I would like to know where you can get a complete busa motor with TBs, harness, ECU, dash for 1500$.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/crate_engines/victor_650.shtml

THis motor makes 650HP and sells for 12,800$.

The BB is cheaper.

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 12:44:08 AM »
I would like to know where you can get a complete busa motor with TBs, harness, ECU, dash for 1500$.

The BB is cheaper.

Johnny,

Many times you have posted several intelligent posts however if you think you can take a 650 HP (engine dynoed) and run the same speeds with a 500HP (rear wheel Busa car (Jacks) then you are severely mistaken..

How fast has you car run with how much HP?  I know you were saying 250 was possible ( I think that was you ) several times I have have bought Busa's (23 wrecked or running Busa's to date) for a very good price and either after selling the rest of the parts I have often been left (like many others) with a perfect running complete engine with throttle bodies, wire harness/ecm and gauges if needed..you are wrong about cheap HP period.

John

J

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 01:05:16 AM »
one thing you liars arent adding in is how much stuff you've blown up learning how to make that HP

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 01:11:03 AM »

Does it have to have the serial number on it? :evil:

Seriously, part of making this work is being in the right place at the right time.  Same goes for guitars, antiques, and machine tools.  But part of the hot rod credo is doing it on the cheap, keeping your eyes and ears open, thinking long-term, and most importantly, developing contacts in the business - that's how you get the cool price.  The down side is that as soon as what you've been looking for becomes available, you have to be able to act on the deal with no questions, and cash in hand.  This puts you at the front of the line on the next deal, and the cycle continues.

That's how I picked up my 1952 Fender Telecaster, my turn-of-the-century solid oak kitchen table, and my Lincoln welder. 

Patience, perseverance, and cash-in-hand.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 01:38:17 AM »
I'm only guestimating and I'm doing it conservatively but our Buick based V6 has only three figures in it and would be good for somewhere under 300hp meaning we're in the sub $5 a hp range........that's with a lot of time in the headers , a long time in the heads and porting and a deal of blood sweat and tears in the manifold a cheap chip and some HD valve springs.....We do however have another late model crate motor that has all the goodies ,stock it will only make a few more neddies but it will rev a lot harder, it cost nothing( sometimes ya get lucky) ...yet is probably worth between 8 and 10 $ausssie so that would be in the 20 to 30 dollar range........difference is the late model motor has probably got legs...the hot-rod motor is dying to get one out of bed :wink: :wink:

Now four months ago we nearly had parity...the Aussie was at 97 US cents ....right now it's down around 64...go figure...we ain't even in recession....yet.

So, that REAL CHEAP horsepower by your guys standards....

That's how I picked up my 1952 Fender Telecaster

bragger!....ah ha....I hope it gives you splinters.....gotta say I am glad I bought my last Tele from the states before the exchange rate slumped.. :-o

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 01:54:18 AM »

The BB is cheaper.

Johnny - I bought a running Busa w/salvage title that I ran at the last El Mirage meet for $2700.........there out there.

Scott
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 01:56:10 AM by isiahstites »