Author Topic: Gas Coupe rules concerning floor and wheel wells  (Read 2447 times)

LittleLiner

Gas Coupe rules concerning floor and wheel wells
« on: September 07, 2004, 11:44:00 AM »
My question deals with Gas Coupe and Sedan using a car that was produced as a uni-body design.  The car we are planning to use is a small sedan that has a limited amount of room in the transmission area and driveshaft tunnel.  As I read the rules I am unsure of how much if any modification may be made to the ?floor? of a unibody car.  I am assuming that the floor and trans tunnel are considered part of the production ?frame? in this type of car.  Naturally we will avoid any modifications that even remotely resemble streamlining the undercarriage.  Given that, how much can the floor be modified?    

One more question:  What is the Bonneville definition of ?radiused wheel wells??  Does this mean just increasing the outside opening or can it include modifications or replacement of the inner wheel wells?

Any help is appreciated.  Art

Offline jimmy six

Re: Gas Coupe rules concerning floor and wheel wells
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 05:09:00 PM »
I would contact the Gas Coupe Chairman listed in the rule book along with chairman of the technical committee. With that said the book says on page 59  3rd paragraph the "frame" must be retained in the stock location, literally yours cannot be changed. The one thing we do not do is tell you what car to build. One other point is a Gas Coupe is one step up from a production vehicle which is to be "street" legal. If you notice many Camaros run in gas coupe and they do not have a frame and all of their tunnels are stock.
  The book states wheel "openings" may be radiused. There is no mention of well wells in the gas coupe section that I can see.
  Over the years it has been best to do what the rules allow verses instead of trying to prove it doesn't say I can't do it. One old rule we all lived by was "If it doesn't say YOU CAN do it, then you can't". Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

LittleLiner

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 11:19:00 PM »
Jimmy Six I couldn't agree more with your words about following the rules and not looking for ways around them.  Amen partner.  I guess I am just trying to get clear on what part of the car is considered the "frame".  We are talking about a Chevette to be specific.   When I picked a car it had to meet three specific specs; 1) cheap, 2) cheap and 3)  . . . well you get the idea.  My next step is to concurrently get the little rust bucket safe and WELL WITHIN THE RULES.  My last priority is to go really fast.  I suspect I'll suffer the typical New-guy mistakes and new car bugs but I think that is part of the fun.  Goal - be at Speedweek 2005 with an entry that passes tech the first time.

John Beckett

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 08:50:00 PM »
Art

In /GC you can add frame rail connectors to the unibody, also makes a better/stronger mounting for the roll cage, but you need to leave the original frames, front and rear, intact. Don't think anyone will gig you for cutting the floor pan to install connectors properly. Chevette's have a rather large tunnel so dont think you will have to do much more than a little dimpling in that area.
 Pick a tire that fits the original wheelwell. Goodyear has several to choose from. Don't radius the original.

John