Author Topic: Front Runner Information Needed...  (Read 5436 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Front Runner Information Needed...
« on: September 02, 2004, 03:00:00 PM »
I hope someone can help me with the following questions about tire choices for an Unblown C/G lakester.  I want to run a C motor to get the car a little over 200 to make sure the car handles good.  Then I will switch to a Blown F motor on gas.

1.  Would Goodyear "Drag" Front Runners be allowed on the car?  The current C/GL record is 273.

2.  If the Goodyears are allowed would Hoosier and/or Moroso Drag Front runners be allowed?

3.  If these tires are allowed can they be used at the back of the car as "drive" tires and/or in the front of the car?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this,

Sum

Hooley's 207 mph B'ville
 Experience

Randy Williams

Re: Front Runner Information Needed...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 11:13:00 PM »
Summer,  Moroso has stated to me that theur tires are not rated for LSR type racing.  As for Hoosier's you might want to contact them. Joe Law (Grumpy Old Men) uses M&H front runners on the front of his Lakester. He's gone over 300mph with them. Goodyear has a Bonneville spec tire. Be warned there not cheap. Think SAFTEY first.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 01:49:00 PM »
We have the Goodyear Bonneville tires on Hooley's Stude and you are porbably right I should just save up and buy them.  That would be the safest thing to do.

I talked to Goodyear's dist. in Calif. yesterday and they are limited on sizes right now as they are moving the production from Chili back to the states.  He said they aren't a high priority item for them to produce, but hopes they will be back in stock next spring.

c ya, Sum

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 12:29:00 AM »
Many have successfully run the Good Year Drag Front Runners on ther cars over 200 as drive tires, I have run right at 200. I now use Dunlop 30's and 32's. They also make a 16" rim 29" dia. The M & H front runners make excellant front tire's at both 22 and 24's. The 3 lines in them help them track very well. They however are not the Joe Law M&H fronts (which are smooth). Those were special tires Joe was instrumental in getting made. They were and are very good high speed tire. Chauvin Emmons could not keep Goodyears on the front of his Fuel modified for one run over 300 but the Joe Laws were perfect. I do not know where any are available at this time. On cars running in the 150 to 180 range I have inspected them with Moroso's, Hoosier's, and Firestones. The 29" Firestone is a 15" rim and has a lot of flex even with 70 pounds in them...Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 10:28:00 AM »
Thanks for the additional information.  I want tires of two different diameters so I can switch them from front to back for different final gear ratio effects.  I've got 2.75 and 2.47 ford rearend gears, so with the two different size tires that gives me 4 different final gear ratios.  We tried this on the Stude, but with the B motor and the speed we ran it wasn't really necessary, yet.

With the smaller F motor that I finally want to run I think a selection of final gear ratios will be more critical.

I think I'm just going to have to save up and get the better tires to begin with as I eventually hope to be in the 225 to 250 mph range.

I appreciate all the thoughts on this though.

c ya, Sum

John Beckett

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 09:04:00 PM »
Sum

Haveing chunked up a set of 'Drag' Front Runners at 220 MPH, I personally would'nt recommend running them over 200 MPH. Would emagine the Hoosier and Moroso's would perform the same.

John

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 02:49:00 AM »
I've run the Goodyear LSR front runners successfully the last two years...  No issues what so ever... they are a much heavier tire then the standard front runner...

I also put a set on the back of my Camaro that Hot Rod ran and set a record with at 243mph...

best speed with the modified sports car was 253mph

Keith
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 03:53:00 PM »
Thanks John and Keith.  I'm convinced to stay away from the drag tires and go with the LSR tires.

Keith it was good seeing you again this year.  You are an inspiration with all that you have accomplished.

c ya, Sum