Author Topic: Pictures of Tracer Racing lakester at Elmo:  (Read 5196 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Pictures of Tracer Racing lakester at Elmo:
« on: November 30, 2008, 10:26:24 PM »
I am posting two picture of the Tracer Racing no. 117 yellow lakester from the Nov. Elmo meet. I always like to see the pictures of the cars "in action" because I think that you can tell alot about the cars aero from the dust that it is trailing. I looked at the pics posted on the SCTA site and noticed on the Tracer lakester what appeared to be a "ring" of dust that is coming from where the body transitions at the rear of the car. I thought maybe it was just the picture then I looked at the pictures posted on the Elmo section and there was a different picture of the Tracer car but it still had the "dust ring" located in the same place. I find this very interesting and I attribute it to the lack of any radius when the body transitions from the main straight section to the tapered rear section. It appears to be making a low pressure area that is drawing air (and dust) up into the area of the transition. Look at the pictures and give me your thoughts. I just find it interesting and it shows the value of running in the dust.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline jl222

Re: Pictures of Tracer Racing lakester at Elmo:
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 12:43:13 AM »

Looks like tracers to me.

JL222 :evil:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 03:58:39 AM »
Full marks Schimmer, you can go home early!

very interesting observation Rex, it does seem like that is what is happening....surprising that it is quite as obvious in such a slight reduction as that but shows what happens when as you say there is a lack of radius or an even transition....wonder what the force/drag involved is?... 
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 10:28:27 AM »
Dr. Goggles,
I would bet that the drag penatality is pretty close to if they didn't have a tail at all on the car. Obviously the "fix" would be a new tail section with proper radius of the transition but I am wondering if a quick fix would be some vortex generators located right at the transition, maybe a little behind it, but these might generate some attached vortex that could draw the passing air back to being attached with the rear section of the body. It would be an interesting thing to try.

Rex
Rex

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 10:48:54 AM »
Ratical has over lapping skin joints---there are little dirt lines  behind each---I think (guess) :? that on my skin joints it is tripping the air and when it changes direction the heavier dirt continues then HITS the skin as it falls out of suspension.  There would, could, or should be eddies or roll clouds behind the joints also :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 02:09:15 PM »
Sparky,
I have looked at your car and there are certainly areas such as your panel joints that could be better but you make up for these possible aero deficiencies the old fashion way: HORSE POWER!!! But that being said I am SURE that you have looked at your number one, Mr. S. Hammond, competitor's new car and I am also sure that you noticed the quality of the finish on the body, not many body lap joints or other things that could trip the air. Seth has probably set the standard, as his cars normally do, for your class and to be faster you will probably need to at least meet these standards.

Changes in aero, frontal area X Cd, are equal, in affect to horsepower when it comes to maximum speed, so a 5% aero efficinecy improvement is the same as a 5% horsepower increase.

Rex

Rex

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 02:53:52 PM »
.................. Seth has probably set the standard,...........Changes in aero, frontal area X Cd, .....................

Seth has definitely set a new standard, but I feel the car has more frontal area than he needed and leaves something on the table there.  Sparky's rat has less and is maybe going to get smaller,

Sum

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 03:03:39 PM »
.................. Seth has probably set the standard,...........Changes in aero, frontal area X Cd, .....................

Seth has definitely set a new standard, but I feel the car has more frontal area than he needed and leaves something on the table there.  Sparky's rat has less and is maybe going to get smaller,

Sum

Seth's new car actually has a little less frontal than his old lakester if I remember correctly.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 03:45:43 PM »
does anybody have any good pix of Seth's canopy hinge and latch set up?
kent

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 05:43:21 PM »
Kent,
This is a pic of Seth's car with the cockpit open. Don't know if you can tell anything.

Rex
Rex

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 06:49:12 PM »
Rex---I have the smallest AA eng and probabaly the least HP---the 5% aero would be worth a lot more than 5% hp---there are also other things that count.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 06:59:46 PM »
Rex, I agree Seth has a beautiful car---I haven't the time, the inclination, nor the MONEY to even try to compete with his cars apperance and workmanship----now SPEED is another matter :evil:!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 07:21:17 PM »
thanks rex... im kinda looking for some close ups of the hinge assembly....kinda thinking i might go his direction for the new liner...
kent

Offline saltsho1

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 08:19:54 PM »
I'm sorry for hi-jacking the thread for one quick question and I hope I'm forgiven.  Does someone know what motor Tracer is running in the lakester this year?

Thanks
Ernie
Car #1147  F/Pro

dwarner

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 08:38:47 PM »
Ford SHO w/roots type supercharger.

DW