Author Topic: Canopy Pressure  (Read 7808 times)

Offline POPS

Re: Canopy Pressure
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 02:59:54 PM »
Dave,
Our lakester has a canopy similar to yours.  We have not had any canopy opening problems yet up to 250mph.  We do not pressurize the cockpit directly.  Instead we have a large NACA duct on the right side of the car which is plumbed to a Cup style blower and filter who's output is directly connected to the helmet.  We did this to keep the old fat guys cool in the staging lanes not even considering the problems of blowing open the hatch with to much internal pressure.
POPS
575 A/GL 

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 03:18:47 PM »
dave
i can probably help ya and i think i have a good idea of what is happening, but as i asked previous... when ya say opens! do ya meen the sides just pop out or the whole darn thing lifts open?
kent

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2008, 03:21:15 PM »
He hasn't been on since his last entry of the 1st.  Hope his daughter is ok.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 03:46:44 PM »
Dave has been of town with his daughter having some tests run. He said he will be back on line when things settle down.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 04:59:44 PM »

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 07:30:23 PM »
Hello All,
My daughter is stable but still undergoing testing to find the problem. Thanks Richard for your help.
When I say it pops open it lifts up far enough that the latch slides off of the piece we have welded to the roll bar. It can be made longer. We put some rivets in it thinking it was moving to the right or left  but it still did it. I have found some help from others and am in the process of working the problem out with them. One builds personal planes for high dollar guys.
Another one is out of state but able to help. Looking forward to seeing you all in 2009.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 10:13:21 AM »
Thanks Propster----That was an intesting read about canopys in the IHBA forum---has anyone gone by Hondo Boats and checked out their latching systems?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 05:25:53 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!