Author Topic: Amazing Military Photos  (Read 3440 times)

Offline hayaboosta

Re: Amazing Military Photos
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 09:19:32 PM »
Thanks Scott!!  I needed a little pick me up :-D

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 10:16:42 PM by hayaboosta »
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 09:27:09 PM »
Scott!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  wow-- 8-)--thanks my wife and I loved them!!!! :-D!!!!!!! :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline aircap

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 11:51:37 PM »
Excellent pix! Thanks.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 12:19:02 PM »

One thing I will never forget is when we got out of dry dock with the Constellation (CVA-64) and went out and did sea trials with no aircraft on board was the feeling of a 60,000 ton vessel going through the water at over 40 mph and in a turn like in the picture with the elevators that take the planes up to the flight deck dragging in the water due to the extreme lean of the ship.

I often wondered how many water skiers it could get up at one time.

And then there is the hours I spent watching planes take off and land, especially at night,

Sum

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 12:31:32 PM »
And then there is the hours I spent watching planes take off and land, especially at night,

Sum

I was just the opposite.  I never watched them take off and land, mostly because it was sometimes me (VQ-1 EA3B, aka "The Whale").

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 01:00:12 PM »

Sum

I was just the opposite.  I never watched them take off and land, mostly because it was sometimes me (VQ-1 EA3B, aka "The Whale").

Mike

I never lost my awe or respect for someone who could land on a carrier even in perfect conditions,

Sum

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 04:15:40 PM »
God Bless Them Everyone, Those that have served, those that are serving, and those who will serve in the future.
Fantastic pictures, thanks Scott. I was just looking at Jane's aircraft of WW1, quite the contrast to today's military birds. But the best in the land still fly'um, then and now.
 When you write that check to the Gov'ment this April, have a look at these photos, makes me feel better anyway.
 PegLegCraig

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 07:48:55 PM »
I never lost my awe or respect for someone who could land on a carrier even in perfect conditions,

Sum

In perfect conditions all you have to do is hit a postage stamp size area. I watched Carrier on PBS and gained a whole new respect for carrier pilots. It was a 10 part series on the Nimitz and they spent months in the Gulf supporting Iraq and the whole time the water and ship were rock solid. Piece of cake.

On the way home they did a training exercise in the Indian Ocean. At night. In a storm.

The deck was pitching fore and aft 21 feet, if I remember correctly. Another 8-9 feet side to side. Looked like some mad roller coaster. They were 750 miles from land and the captain said it was too far for refueling from land. He said the pilots could either land it on the deck or eject next to the ship. If you miss the landing wires completely it's called a bolter and you have to go around and try again. I think they had 13 bolters in a row before they called off the exercise. They still had to land everybody.

Me? I was on the edge of my seat watching this. Those guys may be the most skilled on the planet. Amazing what they do to support us.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 09:51:01 PM »

Very cool! You need to find another country to live in if that doesn't give you goose bumps. In about 88 I was lucky enough to take in a Military air show at El Toro Marine Air Station. What a show! Proud to be a part of this great country Vince
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 10:35:39 PM »
  The best description of a carrier landing I have ever heard .Was to put a stamp on the floor. Take ten steps away . Turn around . Put your hands behind your back . Then jump and dive at the stamp . If you can lick the stamp 'that was a good landing . Now do it again in the dark.
Thank you gentlemen for your service.
Thank you to all the volunteers