Author Topic: 53 Stude-Chevy  (Read 81542 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: 53 Stude-Chevy
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2009, 10:59:45 AM »
John,   I for one have enjoyed you build post and your pictures.  I am sorry that a few have decided to reply with sarcasm and tart remarks.  I too can see how this can be upsetting... We all work hard to bring our projects to completion.  I hope your project is moving forward and hope to see you and the Stude soon.

Continued success with the build,

Your friend,

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2009, 02:59:22 PM »
Okay -- you're all upset.  Let me check back about what I said and what you said and see if we can work this out.  Oh, darn, you've deleted some of your posts.  I guess you only wanted positive feedback, any way.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jl222

« Reply #152 on: July 20, 2009, 11:35:39 PM »
I am relatively new to land speed and take safety very seriously.  I have found the forum to be essential–excellent on many many fronts.  The technical information has been most helpful and highly appreciated to my little build. 
Stan’s comments, however, were most unhelpful.  Stan not only didn’t know what he was talking about by grossly miscalculating and misunderstanding the rear suspension, but he mocked the build.  People's lives are at stake in land speed racing. 
I have no desire to participate in sneering posts or leaving erronous posts standing without a response, hence, I am rolling around what to post.
Recently several folks on the forum involved themselves in very unhelpful arguments to the high detriment of the sport.  I do not want any part of sustained arguing or foolishness about anyone's vehicle nor am I going down the road of cynical emails.  Land speed vehicles come to life by a lot of sweat and the little grey cells, not sneering. 
LSR is a tremendous sport.
John.

Tried to check pictures after sticking up a bit for Stan but found they were deleted.

JL222

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 11:51:43 PM by jl222 »

Offline John (Maryland)

« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2009, 07:03:10 AM »
We removed the body, it came off very easy with just four people lifting. Steve Kramer did an excellent job on the removing setup.  We are presently working the front-end and the motor plates. 

The A-arms purchased not only have aluminium cross-members, not a starter for this car, but the ball-joint angle is incorrect by 4 degrees.  Everything should work out fine but this entire assembly has really escalated time and costs.

Stan - You could not see the actual distance between the frame and the 4-link brace as that photo was at an oblique angle.  The actual measurement is 6-ins. not 10-ins.  That entire space is needed for installation of the torsion-bar assembly.  Note too, the car will use an X-Member to restrict athwart motion of rear-housing.

Any comments are welcome, but please know this vehicle is different. The build features are not necessarily best for LSR alone, many areas are overbuilt.  Regarding safety, hopefully she is over the top - much at the expense of LSR performance.

The vehicle is being specifically built for Maxton and Loring and ultimately, if it runs, Bonneville. The plans are to severely test the setup by drag racing (More for fun that needed).

R.
John.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:06:51 AM by John (Maryland) »

Offline John (Maryland)

« Reply #154 on: July 23, 2009, 08:01:37 AM »
Additional photos fabricating the motor plates and body mount tabs.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:34:17 AM by John (Maryland) »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #155 on: July 23, 2009, 11:34:39 AM »
If you ever run BV, you'll be glad you made the body removable.  Will surely help cleaning the nooks and crannies.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: July 23, 2009, 02:43:57 PM »
I would guess John was "offended by the BaJa remark---John keep building---just keep reading the entire rule book----remember there are a lot of fairly sucessful LSR cars that have no suspension...
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #157 on: July 23, 2009, 10:17:26 PM »
John,, great new pics --- Thanks very much.

I see in the pic where there is a tab welded in the door frame ("B" Pillar area) that is bolted to the main hoop of the roll cage?  What are your thoughts there ?  Is that for body rigidity?   I like it and was wondering the main purpose.  Cool motor plates as well..  Sorry you got a bad deal on your front suspension.. hang in there ... over time, head aches and over budget are all normal,,, I have had all these issues crop up on the last few hotrods and two race cars we built... but in the end,  the pride and sense of accomplishment will make all the tough times worthwhile....

The proudest car moment I thought I had was when my Roadster made the cover and feature article in a Magazine,, but it was not.... My proudest car moment was actually a proud "day"  it was last year when the Vicky made her first appearance at Maxton, just seeing all the LSR folks give me the thumbs up when I drove her through the pits for tech inspection, passing tech and hanging out with the fine LSR community was very nice. then the next day I made my first ever license pass and shakedown run (second gear pass) the car ran well and felt stable,,, so on my second run I decided to give her a bit more throttle and use third gear, I set the new record by over 10mph... wow and everything stayed together.... the rest is history,, we are now on the second LSR build with the Stude and hoping to have as much fun (and a record or two as well)...

So keep the faith, keep the build going, don't let the tough times and setbacks derail your goals,,, stick to it,,  hope to see you and the Stude soon.

Charles
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:56:10 PM by Cajun Kid »
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline John (Maryland)

« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2009, 05:08:30 AM »
Charles.

The tabs attach the body to the framing.  There are 5 tabs around the each door perimeter and two tabs will be added to the back deck.  Once those tabs are removed the body can easily be lifted off.  The shape of the Stude and its low stance allows for a forward-off lift without having to raise the body too high, w/i arms reach - so far, so good, a lot better than expected.  Despite the body disassembly, no across bracing, and with the supports added to the rear fender shelves, the body is quite rigid - but we are being very careful. 

Steve plans ahead, we are building for "easy" engine removal.  Notice the motor plate shelves allow the motor to sit in place w/o motor plate bolts to the engine. The front motor plate has been shaped, the mid will be cut to match the mid-plate hoop-tubing.  The photos show the tabs for the mid-plate.

A lot of folks are enjoying your successes.  You're a good man!  I enjoy your posts, photos, and watching your build mature - nice work!

Sparky - The rear suspension is being designed for simple solid fixtures as an option to totally lock-in the rear housing, i.e., an adjustable locked-in ride height maybe using oval track jackers. The 4-link was deliberately selected, may not be best for other vehicles, for high tractive effort once rolling in 1st gear and for up shifted gear acceleration as the car transitions into rear spoiler downforce (TBD). The 4-link has been installed for Maxton and Loring, no benefit seen for Bonneville other than it is totally adjustable, i.e., optimum pinion angle at speed and ride height.

John.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:25:53 AM by John (Maryland) »

Offline John (Maryland)

« Reply #159 on: July 25, 2009, 07:23:11 AM »
Stan. 

Do many folks use WD 40 or some protective coating before going on the salt?

R.
John.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2009, 10:12:38 AM »
I use Salt-X on the truck and the trailer, but haven't tried any sort of protection on the race bike.  The Salt-X does work well, though -- makes it much easier to wash off the accumulation of salt.  Take a hose with you (and maybe a "key, for the locking spigots) so you can wash down at the motel every other night.  I'm thinking of taking our power washer with us, even though there are some that say a power washer will cram salt into little crevices where otherwise it might not get stuck.  I paid about $2 grand two weeks ago for a new transfer case for my pickup -- because salt had corroded the case (where a sprayer would have easily washed it) so bad that holes developed and the fluid leaked out.  Ouch!  I'm going to rinse the truck and trailer more carefully from now on.

Back to your question -- I've heard many folks say that they spray WD-40 on the race vehicle before making runs.  Let's see what others have to say about it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2009, 11:07:02 AM »
John,  I think that most Salt racers that run no suspension are afraid of a change of the angle of attack at speed. By eliminating it,  just eliminates something else to worry about;  that not so say with research and instrumentation suspension is not a better way to go---it just seems that over 220 even bricks can find a way to fly.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2009, 11:17:37 AM »
John,  I think that most Salt racers that run no suspension are afraid of a change of the angle of attack at speed. By eliminating it,  just eliminates something else to worry about;  that not so say with research and instrumentation suspension is not a better way to go---it just seems that over 220 even bricks can find a way to fly.

Is wheel spin what you want?  No suspension or stiff suspension will cause wheel spin especially with cars without wings or much downforce, at speed.  Your better off having it. :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 11:39:57 AM by bvillercr »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2009, 11:30:16 AM »
your are right===  I was just trying to point out that airspeed  causes a lot of bodies to lift and change their relationsip to the ground---weight or aero changes are the only things that are going to stop that

Offline John (Maryland)

« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2009, 05:44:31 AM »
Thanks for the info.  There is a lot to learn about LSR - aero, traction, suspension, salt ...

John.