Author Topic: Borg Warner super T-10 trans  (Read 6216 times)

Offline jdincau

Borg Warner super T-10 trans
« on: November 27, 2008, 10:10:25 PM »
Hi all,
     On the subject trans. can I substitute silicone or Hylomar for the front bearing retainer gasket?
Jim in Palmdale
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline fwillyj

Re: Borg Warner super T-10 trans
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 05:13:49 PM »
-sounds like you are wanting to eliminate the gasket for some reason?    and just use as sealer between the two metal surfaces?

-I really don't see an issue with either silicone or Hylomar as far as sealing in the transmission oil.

-But it seems to me like the gasket thickness might be somewhat critical towards holding the large snap ring that's on the OD of the front bearing in there tight in the snap ring groove.

-Might not hurt to measure and see what the snap ring and the snap ring groove recess depth need to be so the front bearing is held in place nice.
----------------------------------
-if this is going into some vehicle where removing the transmission would be a real chore if you developed a leak----might not be a bad idea to figure out a way to seal off both ends of the transmission and pressurize into the vent so you can check for leaks before installing the transmission.

saltfever

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 11:24:03 PM »
Interesting!
My only concern would be the amount and location of the sealer. As you force the two surfaces together you don't want the sealer squeezing up into the front bearing or into the case to contaminate things. Don't know your reason for the request, but another idea would be to groove for an o-ring on the front case, kind of like machining a slot for copper rings around a cylinder.

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 10:14:01 AM »
 Personally I don't care for hylomar by itself. I love using it on gaskets as it makes them reusable, later. Anaerobic sealer I do like for something like that. Or silicone.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline jdincau

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 04:30:38 PM »
I was in a hurry to get the car ready for the Nov. meet, tore the gasket, used Halomar to put it back together. Had a leak at the trans / bellhousing interface at the race. Took it apart this morning, front seal is OK, bearing retainer is OK. It is leaking around the countershaft but only when running. How do you get the case vent out?
Jim

Offline fwillyj

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 08:51:47 PM »
-I'm not sure but it seems to me like it's just pressed in---something like maybe a 1/4" hole.

-Probably have to ruin the vent to get it out unless there's internal access to knock it out with a nearly same size punch.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 09:04:33 PM »
It looks like it is pressed in. No hex on it to turn. Guess I will have to use a bigger hammer. Hate to ruin it just to see if it is plugged.

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 09:53:12 PM »
Jim, Why not just take the fill plug out and blow low pressure air into the trans and see if it comes out the vent? OR put a piece of plastic tubing around the vent and blow backwards and see if it come out the fill hole. There is really not much pressure build up in the trans to have to vent. Have you tried sealing the counter shaft where it comes out the front of the case?
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 10:31:44 PM »
Good idea Doug I will try that tommorow AM. Sice the countershaft is about .030 shy of being flush with the case I will probably silicone it when I re assemble.
Jim