Author Topic: truck arm suspension  (Read 14280 times)

Offline revolutionary

truck arm suspension
« on: November 16, 2008, 09:52:34 PM »
I'm considering a truck arm / panhard / coil spring setup for my car - 4th gen firebird.  Anyone have good/bad experience with these in lsr?  Suggestions?
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline hitz

Re: truck arm suspension
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 11:58:08 PM »
Revolutionary,

What's a truck arm ?

Harvey

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 12:20:13 AM »
I use a modified nascar truck arm under our Corvette. I had a floater housing from a cup car and it fit perfect so why not use it. I use air bags instead of coil springs to remove the vibrations and give a smooth  ride. I only want about 3/8" travel so I set ride height with shims under the air bags. I monitor the pressure in the bags to see how much down force I have.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 01:14:51 AM »
I think the truck arms will work just fine. Just  pay close attention to the placement of the panhard bar. Placing the bar in the wrong position can give you a undesirable roll center height and off set. You will also want to make the panhard bar as long as possible. You want to minimize the lateral movement in the chassis when the car goes through compression and rebound movement. A short bar will make it near impossible to control the movement.  I would draw everything out or mock it up in you car and run it through the motions just to make sure you have it right. JMO

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 10:37:20 AM »
doesnt your gen 4 already have a panhard bar that reaches completely across the car?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 12:13:48 AM »
Just saw this topic and being in a sarcastic mood  thought I'd add -You don't know what a truck am is ?-it gets millionaire NASCAR drivers hooked up at race tracks all over.

Or helps your (maybe not current- haven't looked under one lately) GMC or Chevy pickup down to Home Depot and back.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 12:23:20 AM »
I think the truck arms will work just fine. Just  pay close attention to the placement of the panhard bar. Placing the bar in the wrong position can give you a undesirable roll center height and off set. You will also want to make the panhard bar as long as possible. You want to minimize the lateral movement in the chassis when the car goes through compression and rebound movement. A short bar will make it near impossible to control the movement.  I would draw everything out or mock it up in you car and run it through the motions just to make sure you have it right. JMO

Jerry. If you have a panhard rod thats say 24" long. but only have 2 or 3" of suspension travel what does that mean to you?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 02:00:31 AM »
Mike,

If your panard is parallel to the ground... and 24" long.... and moves up OR down 1", it will try to move the rearend "sideways" ... .020"    if it moves 1 1/2" it will be moving .050" sideways ... If you go to a 48" long bar.. it will cut that sideways movement if in half..  Any of this can cause a theoretical bind ..... So Just Mount with rubber rod ends... 
       The center point between the two ends will be where the car rolls..  Cars that turn Left and Right .. normally would have that close to center ..   Our dirt car that turns Left.. currently has the roll center shifted left ... Also.. the higher you mount the panard bar .. the higher your roll center will be ... so the less roll at the rear of the car.. since your are not trying to corner... that is good as the outside tire will have less load on it when you get sideways and spin .. so it will not flip..   although a case could be made for a real low roll center... loading the outside tire quickly so as to not spin.. but that would require soft springs and driving it could get out of hand .. quickly...  but may be not.. I would be afraid of an oscillation starting..

Bonneville speed secret....  Tape Egg to throttle pedal...   squeeze... slowly with foot.. if it breaks .. clean up mess on floor and in seat..

bob

Offline Racerboy

• Ken Pike
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 02:41:35 AM »
This all sounds to much like a left turn supermodified tuning secret LOL
How are the Daltons doing with their car

Will you be on the salt this year?

Ken Pike
Long Live the Comp Coupe's

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 09:46:50 AM »
.........The center point between the two ends will be where the car rolls..  Cars that turn Left and Right .. normally would have that close to center ..   Our dirt car that turns Left.. currently has the roll center shifted left ... Also.. the higher you mount the panard bar .. the higher your roll center will be ... so the less roll at the rear of the car.. since your are not trying to corner... that is good as the outside tire will have less load on it when you get sideways and spin .. so it will not flip..   although a case could be made for a real low roll center... loading the outside tire quickly so as to not spin.. but that would require soft springs and driving it could get out of hand .. quickly...  but may be not.. I would be afraid of an oscillation starting.........

That is the best I've heard all of that explained.  Now I have a little better idea of what is going on when they raise and lower the track bar during Kent's skittle races  8-).

Thanks,

Sum

Offline 7800ebs

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 10:12:59 AM »
Ken,

Money is super tight... although we have all the parts to go fast.... the super engine would be fun... time is hard to justify right now... there is a time to play and a time to work...    Biblical you know..    Manufacturing in America is difficult right now..   

check out this pic from concord, nc    look at the spill plates.. on the wing.  think we have some load?

we have a new website also ...   www.quickturnparts.com

bob

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 10:46:37 AM »
Wow! do you think that quick change will fit in a 'liner?     :-o  :evil:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline 7800ebs

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 10:57:52 AM »
Yeah..... Soon as I cut my car in half..... install rear... build frame section AROUND it....... lol  ....that is why it is on the jig....

where the hell did I leave my cutting torch ...lol

bob

Offline Racerboy

• Ken Pike
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »
Bob that QC looks cool you should market them. I have to get a QC and mount it for my car and then it is off to have the sheet metal done. I hope to have it done for next year. I am starting with a c fuel (my 360 from the super). It had 750 HP on the dyno when I had it freshened and changed the cam. Let me know if you need anything. I still have my parts business Specialty Cars. Good luck with the super this year.
KP
Long Live the Comp Coupe's