Author Topic: Obituaries  (Read 4884 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Obituaries
« on: November 14, 2008, 05:16:10 PM »
We have lost two more pioneers this week. Jack Engle (Engle Cams) a early lakes racer passed away This morning. Robert"Jocko" Johnson Jocko's porting service, Car and body designer Passed away this morning of a massive heart attack. God speed racing pioneers. :-(

Services pending.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 06:23:32 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

Re: Obituaries
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 06:14:03 PM »
Jocko and Ed Roth were unique.

They gave us designs that nobody else would ever have done.

FREUD
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 10:20:09 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 06:32:23 PM »
   There was a time when you either were with Jack Engle, Isky or Chet Herbert. There was no switching brands and you wanted to be the goodguy for your cam grinder and beat one of the badguys. They sure put the So Cal area on the map when it came to horspower - at the Drags, El Mo, or Bonneville. True heros to this day.  Jocko's innovation was a thing of beauty and on a good day ran plenty fast for the time. A sad  day when we lose one of these guys.
   One look in the pit area and you can see we have creative people involved with our sport today that are keeping the tradition of innovation not imitation alive that was started by these racers - Pat Kinne
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 06:34:47 PM by Pat Kinne / Salt201 »

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »
Thanks for the info Glen.

God Speed to both of these pioneers.

DW

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 12:12:18 AM »
Every Olds that ever ran good used an Engle cam. His shop was in Culver City next to Inglewood where I grew up. I drove and rode past Iskys shop on Hyde Park every day on the way to my Dads machine shop..............long ago......................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 08:47:20 PM »
I had the honor of buying the last two Engle roller cams for a Early Olds about ten years ago.  Jack was still at the shop every day back then.
I also have two sets of Jocko's Early Olds heads, one of which resides in my living room, and no, I am not married............Too both of them, may you rest in peace in Hot Rod Heaven.............Bob :cry:
Bob Drury

Offline Tom Shannon

• http://www.landracing.com
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 09:33:13 PM »
Heres Jocko's Memorial Service Info I found on Standard 1320 Yahoo Group:
Hope you folks in the Southland can attend. God Speed Robert

.Friends of Jocko:

A Memorial “Celebration of Life” for Robert “Jocko” Johnson will be held Saturday, Nov. 29, 2008.

Bonneville racer Burke LeSage will host the event at his home, 6915 Sunny Vista Road in Joshua Tree , California 92252 .

Come join your friends from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, with first round of “Jocko’s Tacos” at noon.

Directions: Take US 10 to Highway 62 near North Palm Springs .

Proceed through Yucca Valley ; go about 5 miles east of Highway 247, Old Woman Springs Road , to Sunny Vista Road .  (If you reach Park Blvd , you have gone about a mile too far.)

Go south (right turn) about 1/2 mile to Sunburst Drive . 

The LeSage residence is on the southeast corner of Sunburst Drive & Sunny Vista Road.

(Caution: If you use Google map you may be sent NORTH of highway 62.  That is NOT correct!!!  The house is south of highway 62).

Anyone who would like to send a $10 or $20 donation for “Jocko’s Pit Pass ” to the “Big Drag Strip in the Sky” can send it direct to Joanie Johnson at 70353 Winters Road, 29 Palms, CA 92277.

Respectfully,

Tom Shannon
On The Road

Offline Freud

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 12:55:09 AM »
I just had a note from Marlo Treit. We have lost a mutual friend.

The fellow that attended the B'ville NW Reunion, in the wheel chair, Larry Johnson, has just passed away.

I have no other information.

Larry bailed in  a motorcycle road race years ago and was paralyzed. He has battled many complications in the recent years but the one thing that kept him going was this friendship with people related to the SR-71 airplane. He attended their reunions, interviewed them and had an extensive knowledge about that bird.

Larry was the one that made  the arrangements for BC Thomas, the pilot with the most hours in the Blackbird, to speak on the Friday evening before this years banquet.

I'll miss him a lot. With all the troubles that he had, he remained upbeat.

I have no connection at all with his family. As far as I know, his only relative was one sister.

With deep sorrow,

FREUD

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 12:58:31 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 08:28:32 AM »
Thanks for the update. I am sorry to hear about that.  He seemed like a very nice guy. 

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 08:43:41 AM »
Dang -- our condolences.  He had an amazing wealth of knowledge and stories about the SR-71, that's for sure.  May he rest in peace.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 06:13:05 PM »
Stainless