Author Topic: wind tunnel testing video  (Read 7334 times)

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
wind tunnel testing video
« on: November 14, 2008, 09:03:23 AM »
Check out this video of a time laps viper wind tunnel test in A2.  Best with sound... look for more to come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8TA7G4VpE8

and check out all the videos A2 vid at
http://www.youtube.com/user/A2WindTunnel
The answers are blowing in the wind...
www.A2WT.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AERODYN-A2-WIND-TUNNEL/259986785465
@A2WindTunnel #A2WindTunnel

Offline Geo

Re: wind tunnel testing video
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 09:34:20 AM »
That's cool!  Who, what is the music.  8-)

I will be in touch about coming this spring or early summer.  Do have a check list or helpful hints for getting ready for a session?  Make these, bring that, tape, cardboard, foam board, tools to remove this and that, etc.

Geo

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 10:48:22 AM »
Good question, Geo.  I know that I'd be kinda afraid to go to the wind tunnel -- without a whole bunch of help before hand - so I'd know what to expect, what to bring, where to start before I leave the shop. 

Maybe A2's website has a F A Q or a list of stuff the novice needs to know before he schedules time.  I expect I'd like to work on my bikes and Nancy and me (did that sound right) before we buy some time.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 11:31:44 AM »
Song: Blue Man Group

I would be able to give you plenty of help to prepare for a test.  The best thing to do is call me (704.799.1001) for a pre-test consultation or email me pics of the car (dave@aerodynwindtunnel.com) and list specifics about the car and what you would like to learn from a test.

-Type of car
-Class
-Horsepower
-Front & Rear weight
-Handling issues
-Cooling problems
-etc…

From there we can come up with a good game plan to make sure you are well prepared for a test, and able to make efficient use of your time in the tunnel.  I am also available to help during the test with interpretation of the data and point you in the direction needed to maximize your test and reach a more optimized configuration for your car.

To answer Seldom Seen Slim:

Wind tunnel testing can be intimidating because most people don't know what exactly it is that they are getting into, and what they will get out.  Most teams that do test on a regular basis are not willing to share anything because they spent the $$ to learn and they don't want to send their competition somewhere where they found some speed.  Most wind tunnels also just have an operator, and it is left up to the customer to run a test and interoperate all the data.  At A2, we understand that 80% of our customers have never been to a wind tunnel, and that is why we are here to help you learn what aero is and how important it can be.  All information learned at each test is proprietary to each customer, but we can point you in the right direction and find what works, and even as important, what doesn’t work on your particular car. 

It is not just waving smoke over the car to see what the air is doing.  The car is NOT on the floor, but is connected to a 6 component balance underneath the floor.  Each run will measure: drag, front downforce, rear downforce, front sideforce, rear sideforce, yaw moment, pitch moment, roll moment and any flow measurements for cooling ducting that is hooked to our flow meters.  Then we tell you what all those # mean and how changing one little thing can affect all those #.

For Bonneville racing it is mostly about drag reduction and I can try to put it in terms that might be easy to understand (HORSEPOWER).  Say your car runs 200mph and it takes X-HP to go that speed.  You then come to the tunnel and get a baseline (run #1) of exactly how you run the car at the track.  Then you try different configurations on the car and find after several configurations you have reduced the HP required to get you to 200mph by 100HP.  That means that it now takes you 100 less HP to go 200mph and now you have an extra 100HP in aero saving to go faster.  In other words, it’s like adding 100HP to your engine.  Now you look at the cost of several hours of tunnel testing to optimize your car and you call up your engine builder to find out what it would cost to put 100HP more in your engine.  We have had a team that found 200HP of savings in one session and improved the aero balance (front to rear).  I am not saying that everyone would find that because all cars are different, but it shows that there can be big gains made in the wind tunnel for landspeed racing.

www.A2WT.com

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 08:20:36 AM »
Here is a video that a customer put on youtube that shows a smoke sequence.  Notice the stagnation point at the front bumper, the low pressure on the trailing edge of the cowl induction hood, and the separation off the rear glass.  In the beginning of the vid there are two people standing (pictures) on the side (car left side) ahead of the car, and this is making the smoke unstable as it is going over the left A-pillar so don't read into that too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAVoAJ4ftB0
www.A2WT.com

Offline Kool Performance

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 11:58:02 PM »
1st Let me say the entire A2 experience is first class. Dave is very professional, courteous and helpful.
Dave helped walk us through all the pretest planning.
We took 3 people to a 1st time car test. 3 people worked out fine, 4 would make it a little easier. In just under 7 hours we made 30 tests including 2 smoke tests.
DO NOT BE AFRAID THE RESULTS ARE WELL WORTH THE TIME AND MONEY.

Thanks for all your help Dave
Steve
Kool Performance
812 305 0710

Offline High Gear

• Team Arrow Racing
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 01:49:04 PM »
Great info Dave.

Jon...how about starting new thread on aero?

Gary
Fix What You Know is Wrong First
Spirits Of The Lakes E/FMS Berkeley #569

Offline 64avanti

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 01:32:39 AM »
For the smoke test what is used to generate the smoke?

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 09:13:32 AM »
Its Wind Tunnel Smoke Wand Juice!!  :-D  Not really.  It is propylene glycol (Low-Tox Antifreeze) that gets heated through the wand and comes out as smoke.
www.A2WT.com

Offline Woodstock

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 11:07:27 AM »
Very interesting read, subject.
I was involved with some wind tunnel testing on class 8 truck configurations, with and without trailers for Kenworth Truck Company at least 20 years ago.
It was done at the University of Washingtons' wind tunnel on campus.  It was a low speed tunnel and don't know if it's still working.
Boeing had a high speed tunnel in Seattle at this time also.
Interesting to see that a person could be in the tunnel when the testing was going on.  The UWs' tunnel was all done from a control panel outside of the tunnel.
Want to see more on this... keep it coming.

Bruce

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 01:14:14 PM »
The UW tunnel is still in operation.  The Boeing Wind Tunnel in WA is where our very own Gary Romberg first got started out of collage (over 50 years ago) working as an aerodynamicist before working at NASA (Saturn 5 rocket program) and then to head up the Chrysler Wind Tunnel  where he worked for some 30 years.  He is now retired and works as an aero consultant for the AeroDYN and A2 tunnels in NC.

When we (as well as most tunnels) run the smoke wand, the speed is turned down to 40mph (in AeroDYN & A2) so you can stand up in the test section.  Below is some pictures of A2's control stations that are off from the tunnel in the control room where we collect data from each run.

Opperator Station:

Customer Station:
www.A2WT.com

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 01:20:22 PM »
1st Let me say the entire A2 experience is first class. Dave is very professional, courteous and helpful.
Dave helped walk us through all the pretest planning.
We took 3 people to a 1st time car test. 3 people worked out fine, 4 would make it a little easier. In just under 7 hours we made 30 tests including 2 smoke tests.
DO NOT BE AFRAID THE RESULTS ARE WELL WORTH THE TIME AND MONEY.

Thanks for all your help Dave
Steve
Kool Performance
812 305 0710

Thanks Steve.  It was great to get you guys in the tunnel, and glad you had a very usefull test where you learned a lot about your car and the improvements you made.
www.A2WT.com

Offline Woodstock

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 11:26:50 AM »
A2, thnaks for the update on the wind tunnel sites.  Gald to hear they're still up and running.
As more people try to squeak out more speed from their vehicles, wind tunnel testing can help to answer an important issue that they are usually taking a SWAG at when they design their body/nose/fairings.
I remember seeing tuffs attached to the hood of Joint Venture with a camera mounted on the dash when we raced our truck at Speedweek in '99.
Gives you a hint at the air flow but not nearly what you get from a tunnel with a smoke run that enables you to see what you're actually getting from the body configuration.
Keep up the good work!  Enjoy the posts on this subject.

Bruce