Author Topic: tubing benders for chassis and cage build  (Read 24777 times)

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
Re: tubing benders for chassis and cage build
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
Any opinions on the pro tools bender. Anyone using one?

Thanks Rocket
http://www.SaltSurfers.com
Nothing succeeds like persistence. I hope!

Offline Racerboy

• Ken Pike
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 10:35:31 PM »
I used one to build my Comp Coupe and have used it for years. It is great. We used 1 5/8 .134 wall dom and it works fine. I tried to post pic's but the file is to big. If anyone wants pic's PM me and I can send them to you.
Ken
Long Live the Comp Coupe's

Offline mkilger

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 10:18:49 AM »
I the got one too,works good, mount it really good to the floor. :wink:

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 12:56:49 PM »
If anyone has a file they want to up load but too big just e-mail it to me and I'll resize it and send it back.

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 01:47:53 PM »
When picking out a tubing bender, look for one that starts the bend on one leg. The Mittler Bros. bender starts in the middle of the bend, so you have to buy their computer bend program or be good at calculating a radius length. Make sure you buy a tubing bender...not a pipe bender. I use a #2 Hossfeld  bender. You can get a manual one thru Williams Lowbuck Tools (www.lowbucktools.com). I powered mine with a cable puller for  several years before powering it with hydraulics.

Be very careful operating an bender, there is great forces at work...you can get hurt!!!

Just my experience of 30 years of running a chassis shop and being thrifty,
joe
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2008, 10:33:35 PM »
Hey Charles, I just wanted to show you a couple of bends I made last night with my JD2. I'm using 1 1/4" DOM .095 wall tubing. 70 degree bends with no flat spots or wrinkles. This thing is priced right and works well...

Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline JimL

Note about the JD2 bender
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 01:41:03 AM »
....been using JD2 for over ten years, now.  If you've ever watched the movie "Captain Ron" (a cult classic comedy amongst us ocean sailors)...  where he says "Diesels love their oil like sailors love their rum." :cheers:

Substitute "JD2s love their WD40 like...."  It does seem to help, having the draw section a bit wet.  Much nicer bends and no crushing issues.  I've also found it best to start with the pipe clean (get rid of the black oil by wiping down with lacquer thinner or Brake Cleaner, before oiling with WD40).  There's an awful lot of grit, trapped in the black oil, that turns metal in the shoes.

Hope that helps someone.
Regards, JimL

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 05:07:15 AM »
I just got hold of a Parker 848 Maintenance tube bender it is well Old and manual/ratchet gear but it will bend upto 1.75" with the right formers and to 180 Degrees.I reckon you will have to fill the tube with silver sand at that diameter but it shouldnt be a problem.For small diameters upto an Inch Iuse an old plumbers bender on a stand with a length of scafolding to get the required force.On the one Inch it dosent crush or kink

Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
Re: Note about the JD2 bender
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 08:29:40 AM »
....been using JD2 for over ten years, now.  If you've ever watched the movie "Captain Ron" (a cult classic comedy amongst us ocean sailors)...  where he says "Diesels love their oil like sailors love their rum." :cheers:

Substitute "JD2s love their WD40 like...."  It does seem to help, having the draw section a bit wet.  Much nicer bends and no crushing issues.  I've also found it best to start with the pipe clean (get rid of the black oil by wiping down with lacquer thinner or Brake Cleaner, before oiling with WD40).  There's an awful lot of grit, trapped in the black oil, that turns metal in the shoes.

Hope that helps someone.
Regards, JimL

That's right about starting with  clean pipe. My pipes look like a candy cane because of the wiping. I smear some white engine assembly lube on the bend section before inserting it in the bender.
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 09:35:16 AM »
Randy,
What rake are you using?

Joe

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2008, 09:58:16 AM »
Joe, 37.5 degrees.
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2008, 11:30:57 AM »
That is interesting ... my drag frame is 37/38 degrees ... I cannot measure it as accurately as you can ... I like the jackshaft ... you wont have any problems getting sprockets ... Joe

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 01:51:20 PM »
randy those followers suck on the JD2.. i used one for the first time on that e-bike build and was very unhappy with the way the JD2 distroyed the tubing.... i will use the Diacro on the new liner build... ya sure ya wanna use 37.5 deg? you dont need it with a long wheel base the only thing it will do is make the head flop from side to side instead of making it turn.... pull it back to 35
kr

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 02:06:35 PM »
Kent, what wall thickness did you use on the e-bike build? The close radius die I am using needs a minimum wall thickness of .083". If you use thinner wall, it will damage the tubing. I greased the tube before I bent it and the bends came out smooth and uniform...no damage was done.

btw...who needs to turn, i only want to go in a straight line :-P
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 04:57:15 PM »
Kent, you haven't steered me wrong yet :-P..I readjusted to 35 degrees...

http://www.frsengineering.com/pp27.jpg

www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc