Author Topic: 2005 Cobalt  (Read 6721 times)

Offline Stan Back

2005 Cobalt
« on: August 04, 2004, 04:48:00 PM »
I was reading in the August 2004 Hot Rod Magazine that SoCal Speed Shop is preparing a 2005 Chevy Cobalt to run in G/BFALT.  It looks like a great little car and you can even get a supercharged one.  I called my Chevy dealer to test drive one, and he says they are not going to start building them until November.  He didn't know when they would be available to the public.  So I'm wondering how it could be an Altered as they are restricted to 1982 models to the current year (2004).  Plus it has to be "unaltered in height, width, length or contour".  Hard to check when they haven't been built yet.  So maybe they are to run in the Production-Supercharged category.  But a Production car must have at least 500 vehicles "for sale to the general public."  Perhaps it could be entered in the Streamliner category where modified Production bodies are forbidden.  It doesn't meet the Production requirements, so if it runs by November, it would be okay there.  By the way, the G/BFS record is a soft 258.  Maybe Dan, Glen or J.D. can straighten us out on this.  It would be great to see it run  -- it looks like a winner from Chevrolet!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

dwarner

Re: 2005 Cobalt
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 09:55:00 AM »
As of Aug 4th you can order a Cobalt from your dealer. The dealer network was sent the documentation on Aug 2nd. As far as I understand it the dealer will take your money when you are ready to step up.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 12:30:00 PM »
When 500 of them are available for sale then it would meet the rule ubless you applied the "THUNDER BIRD NASCAR STOCK INSTANT PART NUMBER" used for the "PRODUCTION spoiler..
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

touringjo

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 03:43:00 PM »
The key words regarding the Cobalt are "available to the general public." Perhaps the SCTA is taking lessons from NASCAR about the use of production vehicles. I just read an article today about a car that was designed by NASCAR itself, not one of the Big Three automakers. http://www.pe.com/sports/autoracing/stories/PE_Sports_Local_nascar_new_car_05.5877c.html   I guess if the North American Stock Car Association of Racing does not need to use production based vehicles neitehr does the SCTA.

touringjo

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 03:55:00 PM »
In case that link doesn't work here is the article:
 CONCORD, N.C. - If all goes according to NASCAR's plan, sometime late next season Nextel Cup drivers will begin racing "a brick."

Not one made of clay, but a big, bulky, aerodynamically challenged car. NASCAR wants something slower, safer for the drivers and less costly for team owners while still producing close, competitive racing.

"Some people do call it a brick," said Gary Nelson, who runs NASCAR's Research and Development Center. "We call it 'the Car of Tomorrow.' "

Nelson said the car probably will be worked into competition over two or three years, beginning at Daytona and Talladega, the longest and fastest tracks, where horsepower-sapping carburetor restrictor plates slow the cars.

He said road courses and short tracks would probably be next, followed by 1 ? - and 2-mile ovals that comprise the majority of the venues.

"The trick is you can't run this car on the track with the current car," Nelson said. "They won't mix in competition. It's not as aerodynamic, so it would be disadvantaged as far as running against the current car."

So far, the project that began shortly after Dale Earnhardt was killed three years ago in the Daytona 500 is on schedule.

The death of stock car racing's biggest star has put many innovations on the fast track. There are mandatory head and neck restraints, energy-absorbing walls, escape hatches and an improved system to fight in-car fires.

But the Car of Tomorrow is perhaps the most far-reaching project.

It began with a push from then-senior vice president Brian France, grandson of NASCAR founder Bill France Sr. and now the organization's chairman.

"Brian's idea was to find out exactly where we are and determine where we wanted to go with the cars," Nelson said. "That's really where the R& D Center idea took hold, too.

"When you look at safety, competition and cost, if you say, 'Well, if we had a clean sheet of paper, we would do this and this differently.' Well, in doing that, you can't take the current car and raise up the rollcage or widen out the roof or straighten up the windshield angle without actually replacing the cage and the frame."

So, there's a prototype that already has been to the wind tunnel three times and was scheduled for its first on-track test this week.

It has a roof two inches higher and four inches wider than the current car, with window openings also increased by the same dimensions. The driver's seat has been moved about 4 ? inches toward the middle of the car and energy-absorbing materials have been added as "crush zones" to the front, rear and sides of the car.

"The biggest difference is the attention we've paid to occupant safety," said Nelson, a longtime Cup crew chief before he went to work for NASCAR. "When you make the cage bigger, the aerodynamics obviously change."

Also, the rear bumper is closer to the ground than the current one to prevent one car from driving under the back of another.

"The criteria we use is: if it's working, don't change it - unless we've tested something and found it is better," he explained. "Most of the things on the car have evolved over 40 or 50 years of racing and are pretty well refined."

Don Miller, co-owner of Penske Racing South with Roger Penske and driver Rusty Wallace, preaches patience.

"Safety is the No. 1 goal. The other goal is eliminating the ability for money to buy speed."

Since this body is not manufactured by the Big three , is it still considered a production body? And if so what class would it fit in with regards to SCTA rules?

Kitch

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 04:06:00 PM »
I imagine a car dealer would take a deposit on "ordering" a 2008 Corvette -- but an "order" doesn't make it available to the general public.

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 04:27:00 PM »
"And if so what class would it fit in with regards to SCTA rules?"

None - there are 583 car classes now, find one that suits your fancy.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 05:09:00 PM »
With no production panels it would be a  -----------. I guess you could compare it to the Colani Sorta Corvette.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 10:24:00 PM »
To answer touringjo.. The new Nascar "car" would fit into the same class that all the rest of the Nascar cars do now, TIME ONLY. They do not fit into any of the classes and they still wouldn't. And who cares what they do; the need to talk about them here is irrevelant.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

touringjo

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 03:20:00 PM »
Thanks for the answer Jimmy. How about answering Stan's question. If a vehicle has not been produced yet, but is able to be ordered does it still fit into a production classification?

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 09:41:00 PM »
I can only give MY opinion. I'm NOT a voting board member. I would not let the car compete in the production class at this time. We do not know what is, what is not, or will be stock available trim. The car is at this time, in my mind, a PROTOTYPE since it not yet available to the general public. So-Cal has obviously recieved this "car" with enough time to make it "raceable" for the Bonneville meet in August. But as all new cars to first ones may not be what is available to the general public during it's first offering.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

dwarner

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »
Last night, Friday, the SCTA Board voted to not allow the GM/So Cal Cobalt to compete for records at this year's Speedweek. The reason given was that this model does not meet the "intent" of the rule which specifies that 500 examples of a particular vehicle be available for sale to the general public. While you may now order a Cobalt delivery will not be for 3-4 weeks. This time frame obviously will not allow someone to purchase and race prep a vehicle for Speedweek.

As far as I am concered this thread is dead.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2004, 01:37:00 PM »
I think that is a wise and fair decision.

c ya, Sum

p.s. sorry I didn't see where the thread was "dead" until after I posted.  It is fine with me to delete this post.

<small>[ August 07, 2004, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: 1FATGMC ]</small>