Author Topic: Electric Bike Build  (Read 55783 times)

Offline isiahstites

Electric Bike Build
« on: November 08, 2008, 01:32:31 AM »
I am documenting this build for Kent R, he and Randy N have been talking about building an electric bike the entire time I have know both of them. Kent has been gathering parts for the last couple months and finally got everything together and started building on Thursday night.

This will be a box that holds all of the batteries

Here the box is built, motor and controller in place. the motor will produce approx 200 hp and 450 ft-tq

Another view of the motor on the build table, getting ready to start bending tube.

This is the start of smaller carbon fiber box (1-4) that will go into the bigger box, the four boxes will hold a set of eight 13.6 volt 600 amp batteries wired in series to for a total of approx 430 volts.

Shannon doing some machine work on a hub for the motor.

Neck is in place on the fixture.

Cutting the hub down

Me doing some tig work on the battery fixture.

Shannon on the mill making more parts.

Dusty cutting some material for the battery fixture.

Randy N bendind tube for the frame.

Here is where the bike was at as of Friday evening, most of the tubing has been bent and some has been tacked in place.

We didn't get any pictures of Kent working because he was running around screaming at all of to get back to work the whole night. More to come this weekend and I will take photos with my camera so they are a little bit clearer.

Scott
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 11:15:09 AM by isiahstites »

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
Re: Electric Bike Build
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 08:23:42 AM »
Very cool project, keep the pics coming Scott.
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Geo

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 08:36:01 AM »
We didn't get any pictures of Kent working because he was running around screaming at all of to get back to work the whole night.

:-o  Any audio?   :evil:

This is an interesting project.  Details on the controller and charging system please.

Geo

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 09:44:05 AM »
We didn't get any pictures of Kent working because he was running around screaming at all of to get back to work the whole night.

:-o  Any audio?   :evil:

This is an interesting project.  Details on the controller and charging system please.

Geo

No audio Geo, Kent is usually running around helping everyone with questions on how this or that is suppose to be, he has put a lot of time, energy and thought into this project before that actual build even started.

I am going to zip my lips in regards to details as this is not my project I am just helping out a little bit. Maybe Kent will chime in..........

Scott

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 11:11:41 AM »
That is a cool project. Sure doesn't look like ballast will be needed! Electric motors are pretty neat in that if you can keep them cool and feed them lots of current they will make lots of power. Usually the things that control the maximum amount of power you can get from them are mechanical things like output shaft strength, how well the magnets are secured to the case of armature, depending on the type of motor they are using.  If their motor has an "industrial" rating of 200 hps then they can easily get 4-5 hundred out of it if they can feed it enough juice!!

Really neat!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 11:39:36 AM »
Water cooled, brushless, DC, 440 Volt, 200hp, 458tq, 5500rpm, direct drive. Target= 550lbs, 200mph. Gotta go if we stand a chance of racing it next weekend at elmo :-o .!.
kent

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 11:52:57 AM »
Looks good guys.

May I suggest that Shannon pull his hair back when operating either the lathe or mill. I think it was Wink Eller who caught his hair in a lathe a while back. It could have been a bad accident, now just a funny story.

DW

Offline Freud

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 12:18:59 PM »
Ghost of the Past

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 05:44:43 PM »
Kent, what year was this?

Did they run 160?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 06:25:43 PM »
Seeing that monster of a motor, makes me really, really glad I planned on being able to run in both the under 150kg and 150-300kg class in AMA!   :-o

What does that motor weigh if you're targeting 550lbs?!  :wink:

Freud,
This shows an "unofficial record" of 165 and change in 1974, is this what you were asking? (page 55)
http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/2008_event/AMA-BonSR%27s-2007-v5.pdf

In my book, that is "the record" and what I am shooting for (and hopefully much more) 

There was a new SCTA record set in 2008 (O is Omega for those not familiar)
APS-O      RE-VOLT      Electric      8/08        73.056

Offline Andy Cooke

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 07:02:17 PM »
wow, what a fun project, looking forwards to the rest of the build and hearing about it running.

And now the dull bit..

Sometimes the things in my head should stay there

dull bit over

Andy :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:55:33 AM by Andy Cooke »

dwarner

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 07:05:42 PM »
Was the Corbin bike speed a record in a recognized class  in the day? Do we need to add this record to the rulebook?

DW

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 11:57:06 PM »
This morning I started getting the batteries ready so they could go in the boxes Kent is making for Monday.

Here is the fixture we made on Thursday

Here are the batteries, there are 32 cells per battery and 8 batteries per bank, there will be 4 banks for this bike. So that is 256 cells per bank and 1024 cells for the whole bike.

Here is the tool I made yesterday...........keep in mind all of these are Kent's ideas I am just a laborer.

Once the batteries are in the fixture and clamped down the vise grip tool will be applied to the two terminals of the battery for drilling so the batteries can be joined in series.

Here are all eight batteries in the fixture, the ratchet strap is used first to bring everything together and then the turn buckle is used to dial in the desired tightness. This will allow us to get the batteries tight so when they go into the custom made boxes they will not move.

Here all of the holes have been drilled.

And here is how the positive and negative terminals are going to be joined.

I took the two sets of batteries down to Kent's shop to pick up the other two sets and he and Shannon were hard at work finishing the carbon fiber boxes for the batteries.

Here is the box being prepped for drilling so the two half's can be bolted together. The top half will hold one bank of eight batteries along with the bottom half holding a bank of eight batteries, there will two of these enclosures.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 11:59:47 PM by isiahstites »

Offline Freud

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 12:51:44 AM »
Sockjohn     Thanks. I remember shooting the foto and had a vague idea of the speed and was too lazy to attempt to look it up. They did quite well for almost 35 years ago.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 05:24:47 AM »
sockjohn
200lbs for the motor, 175lbs for the battery.

geo
bad azz controller, CAN bus enabled with traction controll, regenerative braking. Manzanita micro charger

freud
corbin did quite well 30+years ago.... the only ev bike to run faster is Bill Dube's bike that ran 173mph 2 weekends ago

kent
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:26:49 AM by 1212FBGS »