Author Topic: EFI straight eight Buick  (Read 141995 times)

Offline GH

Re: EFI straight eight Buick
« Reply #240 on: December 06, 2011, 08:32:35 AM »
The latest on the #1950 Buick is, the new block has been bored and sonic tested for wall thickness. Mike is waiting to get the block O ringed. He told me the other day that he is probably done salt flat racing. Jerry Hoffman that has DIYAUTOTUNE is building a car and if he gets it done by SW, I will go out and help him. He has helped me for quite a few years. He sells Mega Squirt. I met Bruce Bowling at the Engine Masters Challenge in October. He is one of the founders of the Mega Squirt system of engine management. He is coming to town this weekend and I will take him for a ride in the GMC. I am using the VE Analize Live which is a feature that tunes the engine as you drive it, it reads the 02 sensor and make corrections to the VE table, seams to be working pretty good, much better than I can tune it.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #241 on: May 15, 2012, 06:05:35 PM »
The problem with siamesed ports (for a Model B at least) is the "dead" time between intake cycles.  During this dead time fuel is continuing to be deposited into the shared port and the intake valve that opens first gets a very large mass of fuel and then the intake valve that opens second only gets about half the fuel that the first cylinder got.  So obviously one cylinder will run lean and the other will run rich. 

What it comes down to is very precise injection events.  For EFI to work properly on a siamesed port engine the injector timing and advance must be spot on.  We're outfitting our latest Model B with an AEM EFI system and we're going to use one pyrometer and o2 sensor per cylinder in order to correctly tune the system to deliver an even amount of fuel to all cylinders up to 6000 rpm.

I should be able to let you know how it works out early next year.

Just a little update.... I finally got our Model B running on EFI last weekend.  Plans are to tune it over Father's Day weekend and have everything ready for Speed Week.  Guesstimated power levels on the old Hilborn injection were 120-130hp n/a and 150-160hp boosted.  Target power levels with the EFI will be 150hp n/a and 300hp boosted.  All the testing/tuning is being done on a 3 main block with stock crank and worked over stock rods and original cast iron Winfield head with cracks and all.  It's our mule motor and if it dies we won't be too terribly upset 'cause we've killed so many of them already.  The real race motor will have a 5 main girdle, billet crank, billet rods, etc.  We're hoping that one takes us to 200+.

Wish us luck.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #242 on: May 15, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #243 on: May 17, 2012, 12:43:27 PM »
Sounds cool Nate!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #244 on: May 17, 2012, 07:20:10 PM »
Just a comment regarding your two port configuration, this is the reason that Ed Windfield made the 2 up/2 down crank for the killer T he built. No EFI at the time so he made it work with carbs, he built those also.

Do you have two injectors into each port? What head are you running? 6000 with a three main crank is aggressive to say the least, but that is how you make horse power.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #245 on: May 18, 2012, 12:36:55 AM »
Nate, I won't wish you luck, I will assume you have mastered it.  :cheers:

It's already bolted together, so this is probably too late, but on the BMC blocks - shared intake ports - there's been good success by spreading the intake timing between the 1-2, and 3-4 cylinders, which limits the cylinder robbing between intake valves on shared ports during an intake stroke.  I would think such a cam with an appropriately splayed, timed and positioned pair of injectors on each port in a banger would be a killer combination.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #246 on: May 18, 2012, 01:43:44 AM »
Just a comment regarding your two port configuration, this is the reason that Ed Windfield made the 2 up/2 down crank for the killer T he built. No EFI at the time so he made it work with carbs, he built those also.

yup, very aware of the winfield 2 up 2 down motor.  thought about doing that for about two seconds but decided not too after reading that it nearly jumped out of the car the first time he ran it. 

we used to run a pair of winfield down drafts on both our cragar ohv motor and our winfield headed flatty motor.  actually been doing this for 15 years now and have ran a whole bunch of different combos; a cook cross flow head, a sohc rutherford, babbit, insert bearings, 5 main cranks, stock cranks, hilborn injection, turbo, gas, fuel, etc.

Do you have two injectors into each port? What head are you running? 6000 with a three main crank is aggressive to say the least, but that is how you make horse power.

yes, two injectors per port.  each one points right up towards the back side of the intake valve.  like i mentioned before, running an original cast iron winfield head now while we're still naturally aspirated.  once we go turbo we'll go with a new aluminum winfield head and modify it for an extra head stud per cylinder. 

6000 rpm is the last rpm breakpoint in the fuel map and all my fuel delivery calcs were based on this max rpm.  we've run stock cranks to 5500 rpm many times.  the only problem with stock cranks IMO are the flanges (well and the fact that they're not counterweighted but we take care of that).  5000 rpm or 5500 rpm or maybe even 6000 rpm isn't really limited by the crank... the motor just doesn't flow any more air at that point or make any more power.  even when we do switch over to the billet 5 main crank i doubt we'll rev it any harder than we already are.

fwiw, the best one way pass we ever had with the turbo was 155 and change and that was totally blind... no real tune, no o2 monitoring, no knock monitoring, not even a boost enrichment fuel system.  in fact, not even a gauge in the car... just a shift light.  we just had our old n/a setup with a turbo hung on the motor making maybe 5 psi boost and a few pill sizes smaller in the bypass.  this time we have an o2 sensor per cylinder pre-turbo, an egt sensor per cylinder, and exhaust back pressure sensor and a knock sensor.  we're going to spend multiple days on the dyno getting this thing dialed in. 

on ethanol we're shooting for 300hp which is about how much power it takes to push the lakester we run to 200mph.  actually, with any hope, the streamliner we're building will be the one that breaks 200.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member