Author Topic: Eaton Supercharger  (Read 20985 times)

Offline pookie

Re: Eaton Supercharger
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 02:32:40 AM »
Hey fellows, The guy asked for info on the ford blower  on a V4F classification. Thats a vintage engine acording to the rule book,and a vintage class. NO TURBOS; its a model t A, or B engine. He can run mechnical injecters, NO electronic injection, the engine must run the flat head, head no overhead valve conversons, and the cam shaft must be in the stock location.  Theres a lot of info on this thread THAT he can't use to answer his question. If he is newby, he will get all balled up with N/A info! over &out Mike R.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 09:50:36 AM »
Depending on how your fabrication skills are, and how well developed your existing manifold is, you have a choice between blow-through and draw-through. Not to repeat the obvious but:
1. draw-through is slightly lower max boost, but lower charge temperature due to fuel atomization (and risk of explosion). Carb must be large - a 2" SU isn't really big enough but cheap and easy to adjust, Weber DCOE, Dell'Orto DHLA if your budget can stand it (these were used a lot on Corvairs). I'm not sure if the Ford TB intake is worth using as a donor since the bend at the blower entry is pretty restrictive (1994-5 shown here). The fab is going to be plumbing the Eaton triangular discharge port into your cylinder ports, so you have a change of size and shape as well as splitting the flow. The Ford outlet can be reversed IIRC.
2. blow-through allows a smaller carburetor (whatever size has been successful N/A). Can use an intercooler (but this won't do much unless you have >7 psi(?). If the current manifold/carb is good this may save some work and remove a variable. The usual problems of hat vs. box, fuel pressure balanced to boost, etc. all apply.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 10:49:45 AM »
Hey fellows, The guy asked for info on the ford blower  on a V4F classification. Thats a vintage engine acording to the rule book,and a vintage class. NO TURBOS; its a model t A, or B engine. He can run mechnical injecters, NO electronic injection, the engine must run the flat head, head no overhead valve conversons, and the cam shaft must be in the stock location.  Theres a lot of info on this thread THAT he can't use to answer his question. If he is newby, he will get all balled up with N/A info! over &out Mike R.

Pookie, to your point, I think it needs to be a vintage body to require the period technology - and that's not clear from his post, but you are very likely correct - after all, he's trying to make a Stromberg work on it.

Dick, how much boost are you looking to run?  I have no idea what a 97 flows, so Panic might be right - the Stromberg might be restrictive.

Although it sure would look cool! :-D 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 11:03:57 AM »
Stromberg 48's rated at 175 cfm but vary 167/182 cfm
               97's             150                   144/155
               81's             135                   130/142

My 'street' engine in the #1931 V4F/VGC used two 81's.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline NJ 03Mach1

• New folks
  • PA Hillclimber/ Daily Driver
    • EastCoastStang
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 11:19:54 AM »
have you looked at a turbo setup with a blow through carb?

Correct me if I'm reading the rule wrong, but if Dick's running vintage tin, I don't think he's permitted to run a turbo on a vintage flathead four.

That's why I said I didn't know his rules..   :oops:
------------------------------------------

As for the holding the curve question...

If you look at the power curve (dyno graph) where a blower builds boost (just as a #'s example) say from 2k-5k hitting max boost of say 8psi at 4800 creating max hp... A turbo, will hit max boost earlier, holding a higher hp for longer... but that's out of the question anyway, as someone pointed out it's not within his rules. :(

------------------------------------------------------------

And it's been proven time and time again. Turbo's are more efficient then blowers. More power, with less boost. The blower belt adding drag to the engine as more boost is created and belt slip = using power to make power.

Where as a turbo, it's simply (as your aware) air pushing air. Create more air, more air gets pushed.. it's less power to move a turbo (and more efficient!) for the simple fact as your not losing any through belt slip or drag as the RPM's get higher as well as the boost. Turbo is a constant..

Of course, this is a mute discussion as he can't use one anyway lol

Offline RichFox

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 11:57:02 AM »
The car Dick is talking about is indeed a Vintage Coup with a V4F engine. The carburator he got from me is from a '41 Buick and appears larger than the Ford 97/81 type Strombergs. If it was a streamliner or Lakester Dick could use a turbo

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 12:45:20 PM »
V4F blower setup custom built for Bruce Geisler for his 4-Barrel Model A, which (as far as I know) is his only unblown vehicle.

The blower is a Magnuson and the setup was, if I heard correctly, not built by Gale Banks.

Pictures published by permission  :-D

Mike

OBTW, Pete Richardson is building a high-dollar V4F engine for his coupe and a similar blower is in the plans.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 02:46:28 PM by 4-barrel Mike »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 02:48:13 PM »
Bean Bandits' blown V4F.  Pictures borrowed from the Jalopy Journal.

Mike

ModelTSteve

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 06:46:34 PM »
Mike Stewart runs a turbo on his V4F lakester. The problem is head gaskets!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 04:02:26 PM »
V4F engines are not limited to Fords. 

In fact, a Dodge Fast 4 on its first time our had the Street Roadster rrecord for a few hours.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 04:18:57 PM »
Have the usual mods been applied:
Extra bolts between the existing
Next larger size on all existing
Fine thread studs/nuts instead of coarse bolts
Stiffening beam above the head, drilled for head bolt pattern, if not possible to mill the upper head surface flat bears on spot-faced locations. This need not weigh much, if constructed as a triangular box - the height adds bending resistance.
Jacking screws etc. from frame
Clamps from above head to somewhere lower on the block. Some of these used wire cable and turnbuckles with bridges to span the sides of the block - you'd be surprised how thin a cable can be, and still exert considerable force - the tension load for a 3/32" 7×19 strand 36" long cable is 800 lbs.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 04:22:47 PM by panic »

Offline RichFox

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 05:16:42 PM »
V4F engines are not limited to Fords. 

In fact, a Dodge Fast 4 on its first time our had the Street Roadster rrecord for a few hours.
Leave us not forget that the first V4F record at El Mirage was set by a Plymouth.