Author Topic: Stream Liner Suspension  (Read 17534 times)

Offline interested bystander

Re: Stream Liner Suspension
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 10:11:24 PM »
Maybe way off subject, but Nitro Funny Car racer Tim Wilkerson tested  in Florida  this past weekend with front suspension with competitive times.

But it's only a 300 mph car.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 10:24:06 PM »
lol---think he might like to try for 5 miles, on SALT :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 12:14:57 AM »
You could be right that no type of active suspension could react to the active dynamics at 300 mph. But it isn't all about high frequency reaction. Look at the tracks from the Burkland liner. Low frequency dynamics, in this case bouncing, also come in to play. Any suspension beats nothing. Even if this surface was laser flat, long vehicles can still bounce through the reaction to throttle, brake, steering and parachute.

Shock absorbers absorb . . . shock. Damper is a better word. Take the shocks off of your car and drive around. A small bump sets off a reaction that goes on a long time. The shock on the streamliner helps damp out those reactions.

These irregular tire marks came from this little episode:

Rear wheels off the ground.

Front wheels off.

Tracks show that there were times when there were NO tires on the ground.

Solid steel suspension.

Single disk brake.

Conclusions are left as an exercise for the reader.

RtR

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 12:43:41 PM »
Ray,
Those are absolutely awesome pictures!! The detail pics of the Burkland car are certainly of great interest also. When you say "single disc brake" does this mean that the large disc and double calipers is the only brake that the car has? as it certainly appears so. I have looked at the Burkland car several times but never had the opportunity to look at the details that you show in the pictures. There certainly does not appear to be any brakes on the rear drive gear system and I would suppose that if the front and rear are mechanically connected then only one brake assembly would be needed. And I guess that it is really only for stopping from 100 mph down. I suppose I could believe that there could be some drive train dynamics that may contribute to "hopping" that the car is doing but there are so many things that can be involved it would be just conjecture on my part. Tom and his dad are damn good engineers and their car is certainly a tribute to their efforts, I can only wish them more success in the future.

Again, a big thanks for the awesome pictures!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline lukesdaddy

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 04:20:04 PM »
They have one rear brake on the output shaft of the Liberty transmission.  I looked at the liner at Speedweek becuase I am in the process of building a liner myself and wanted to get some ideas.  I am not going to be using suspension but am pre-loading the chassis.  We will see how it works.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 11:15:34 AM »
Ray,
Those are absolutely awesome pictures!! The detail pics of the Burkland car are certainly of great interest also. When you say "single disc brake" does this mean that the large disc and double calipers is the only brake that the car has? as it certainly appears so. I have looked at the Burkland car several times but never had the opportunity to look at the details that you show in the pictures. There certainly does not appear to be any brakes on the rear drive gear system and I would suppose that if the front and rear are mechanically connected then only one brake assembly would be needed. And I guess that it is really only for stopping from 100 mph down. I suppose I could believe that there could be some drive train dynamics that may contribute to "hopping" that the car is doing but there are so many things that can be involved it would be just conjecture on my part. Tom and his dad are Dodge good engineers and their car is certainly a tribute to their efforts, I can only wish them more success in the future.

Again, a big thanks for the awesome pictures!!

Rex

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.  I was fortunate enough to be there for last year's Streamliner Shootout and follow the Burkland's and the other teams in their FIA/FIM record attempts and I agree with you about the engineering expertise that both Tom and Gene have shown.  Their record for the flying mile is a testament to that as are all the other high speed passes they've made.

Luke's Daddy posted about the brake on the output shaft of the transmission.  I didn't know about this, but it kinda makes me feel a little better for some reason.  The other side of the front suspension has no brake rotor:

A quick note on this.  I asked Tom about what appeared to be burned spots on the rotor on the left front of the liner.  He told me that it wasn't nearly as bad as it looked and was more of an accretion of pad material on the rotor rather than hot spots that might have resulted in warping the rotor.  I don't know enough about it to comment any further.

There are quite a few photos from the Shootout here:
http://chevyasylum.com/bsf2008/shootout/Welcome.html

Re: your statement about brakes being good from under 100 mph:  That's pretty much what Tom Burkland told me.  To take this a little further, the reason this whole little "incident" happened is (in my opinion) because of the FIA rules stating that only one hour is allowed for a turnaround and that the hour begins when the lights are tripped at the end of the measured segment (Mile, Kilometer...whatever) and the lights beginning the return run must be tripped before 60 minutes elapse.  Having said that, the Burklands decided to save some time in that hour by leaving the braking (chute, air brake panels and friction brakes) until "the last minute."  That way they'd have more time to get the liner prepped for the return run.

There were a couple of things that I don't believe they expected to happen:  First, I really think they expected BOTH chutes to open.  That would have helped a lot, but as shown in my photo, only one opened up completely.  I don't know if the 2nd one got fouled in the lines or what, but there was only one chute open as Tom approached the pit/turnaround area. 

Second, I don't think they expected to have trouble shutting the motors down.  As the liner was approaching the pit area, I could hear pretty dramatic downshifting, apparently in an effort to use compression braking to slow the liner.  I suppose it helped, but it was still goin pretty fast as it entered the pit/starting/turnaround area. I've read estimates ranging from over 100 mph to around 75 MPH as entry speed.  I don't know, because I was kinda riveted in place with my eye looking thru the lens of my camera.  I DO know that I got somewhat splattered with salt that was being dug up as the liner went past my location (fairly closely...I spose I wasn't smart enough to move back a bit):

The liner finally came to a stop at what seemed to me to be just short of "running out of room""

In the photo above, he's almost stopped but you can see the semi in the background.  That's on I-80.  It seemed to me to be a little closer than I would have liked...I don't know about anyone else.  And then there was that little issue with the motors continuing to run.  Apparently killing the ignition didn't do the trick and the fuel pump shutoff failed.  At least that's the story I got.  It sat idling (dieseling on alcohol?) for 3 minutes according to the time stamps on my photos.  Tom tried to cover the air intakes as did some other people by leaning across them and using their bodies to seal them off but it didn't work.  Finally a CO2 fire bottle was found and shot into the main intake:

That killed the motors.  As I understand it, there were some problems with the cylinder heads afterward.  I don't know if the cold CO2 damaged them or not, but I was told that some repair work was necessary before making their next (and successful) record attempt.  Needless to say, they didn't make the 1-hour turnaround deadline on that run.

I'll take a minute to get on a soapbox here.  It's my opinion that the 1 hour turnaround limit was the underlying cause of three different incidents at that meet.  Poteet/Main's fire that completely burned up the engine compartment of the Speed Demon stemmed from an EGT sensor that blew out of an exhaust header tube and burned through an oil line; The Mormon Missile's fire caused by propylene glycol coolant igniting (which was only part of a series of issues that resulted in a very serious fire) and the Burklands' close call with I-80 in an attempt to make the most of the time allotted.  If the FIA's turnaround time was the same as the FIM's (2 hours) both the Speed Demon and the Missile could have been fired up and checked for problems before the return run was attempted.  There wasn't enough time to do this in the 1 hour allotment.  And I doubt that the late braking would have been attempted if an additional hour had been available to the Burkland team.  Maybe, maybe not....hard to say, but I know that the short time frame was the reason for the attempts to minimize slow-down time.

It's my belief that the 1-hour time limit is unrealistic, dangerous and should be changed to bring it into "equality" with the FIM time period.  I don't know how I can take it any further than stating my opinion here, but I really think that change should be made.

YMMV,

RtR

dwarner

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 11:24:30 AM »
In the top photo it looks like a brake caliper and rotor inboard of the A arm.

DW

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 12:42:53 PM »
The picture you have labeled with no rotor, the one with the guy sticking his hand under the frame, has a brake caliper visible at the top, same as the other side.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 12:49:15 PM »
Well, what a dummy!  I've looked at that photo a dozen times and never saw it that way.  Thanks for pointing it out.

RtR

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 02:44:56 PM »
Burkland car:  As I heard it, the nut holding the fuel shutoff handle on the control cable came undone -- so when the handle was pulled the fuel did NOT shut off, ergo the continued running/dieseling.

And when I questioned one of his crew about the apparent "downshifting" I was told they use a (brnad name but I forget) transmission that doesn't downshift.

My comments..take 'em for what they cost you.  Looking forward to this year's shootout -- with TWO photographers* plus me and the little digital.  I see that Apple now has software to remove much of the shakiness from handheld video cameras, including phone cameras.  That's gonna be a big help for lackeys like me.

*   Got enough photographers now -- no more need apply.  The event is going to be open to the public, though, I do believe.  Come on out and see the show.  It's somethig you'll remember forever.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

McRat

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 03:28:11 PM »
Very cool pictures!  :cheers:

I agree with the turnaround issue.  Whatever the reason for a 1 hr rule, if it's causing injuries or deaths, it's a bad rule.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 04:49:08 PM »
Very cool pictures!  :cheers:

I agree with the turnaround issue.  Whatever the reason for a 1 hr rule, if it's causing injuries or deaths, it's a bad rule.

Remember that the two wheelers have two hours, yes TWO hours to perform the required runs to get the FIM record..doesn't seem fair.

J

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 09:35:05 AM »
A few things....Ray,great pics.   I`m guessing that car does not use any form of "free-wheeling" if it has a brake on the trans. shaft. Any one know how many degrees of steering it has? Those rod end/steering knuckles have to limit it to about nil.   Jerry :-o
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 12:33:46 PM »
enough to go straight--when pointed straight-- not being a WA---I was told that was more or less the design parameters.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 06:04:17 PM »
Burkland car:  As I heard it, the nut holding the fuel shutoff handle on the control cable came undone -- so when the handle was pulled the fuel did NOT shut off, ergo the continued running/dieseling.

And when I questioned one of his crew about the apparent "downshifting" I was told they use a (brnad name but I forget) transmission that doesn't downshift.

<snip>

Thanks for the info on the fuel shutoff handle.  That's something I didn't hear. 

I read that the transmission was a Liberty.  I don't know if the version in the 411 has the ability to downshift or not.  It could have been variations in wheel speed as the wheels left and then returned to the salt.  My ears interpreted it as someone double-clutching to downshift, but that's only conjecture, I spose.

I can't agree with ya enough about coming out to see the show.  Wow!  Talk about sensory overload.  Even though there were periods of inaction while teams were preparing for a run or in a wind hold, there was still enough happening in the pit area that I could take that time and walk around, shoot photos, talk to people and never be bored in the least.  And to see the smiles on the faces of Rocky and Ack and George and Ron when they held a record-setting time slip in their hands was fantastic.  I'm havin a hard time waitin until SW.  But maybe I otta get back to my website projects so I'll be ready for it when it gets here.

RtR