Author Topic: Project /MS Insight  (Read 6784 times)

Offline LSR M5

Project /MS Insight
« on: November 04, 2008, 10:08:23 AM »
I just picked up a 2000 Honda Insight that's had a rough life. I have been working for a few months to figure out what I legally can and can't do to it, and according to the rules committee I cannot run it in GT no matter what engine I use, if I remove the hybrid powertrain. As I have no intention of fooling around with a 10hp electric motor for the additional headaches it will cause, that puts me in mod sports.

I don't know what powerplant I'll be putting in it, yet. I brought the car home to Maryland on a trailer from Ohio on Sunday. It's in the garage with the entire front clip off right now figuring out what the next step is. I have to sell all the functioning parts off of it before any modifications are going to take place.

This will be my first LSR venture. My Uncle Jack (jacksoni) has been doing this for a long time, some of you may know his cars the G/BGS streamliner #1376 (DW, I know you know that car ;) ) and G/GC #3522 Firebird. Helping out on the crew for the Firebird this year, I caught the bug... so here I am.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 10:11:09 AM by LSR M5 »
Nick
Crew, I.C.E. Racing... carrying on the lunacy to the next generation
1376 G/BGS
3522 G/GC
the next generation: Project Mod Sports Insight

dwarner

Re: Project /MS Insight
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:04:16 PM »
Yes Nick,

I do know the car well. I was offered the opportunity to get my red hat with the car in 2004. Thanks to the generosity of Jim Knapp, fastesthonda_jim, I was able to complete a 41 year journey.

When Uncle Jack first brought the car out with a Vega engine I was impressed by the performance. I believe that the car pointed the way to the slab sided streamliners we see now.

Good luck with your project. Thank you for your understanding with the rules. I think you did your due diligence by researching your plans before the build and then showing up at Speedweek.

DW

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 12:08:15 PM »
This is a very good choice for an MS project (although I have a personal issue with the insight being labeled as a "sports" car!) and is one I would of considered using if I didn’t have 2 rolling FIats donated.

I will admit that I was hoping (based on your name) that you would do a LSR BMW.
THere is a performance shop where I get my turbo stuff about a mile from my house www.horsepowerfreaks.com that is making turbo kits for the M3 and are well into 1200 WHP. I have been trying to get those guys to consider a salt car as apposed to the drag and road race stuff they are currently into. Maybe now I will have to do a LSR BMW!

I do suggest with the Insight that you take the time now to strech the wheelbase to 130". This was a mistake I learned that cost me time and money. These short wheelbase cars are a real handful at higher speeds. Jim Miller suggested I should  do the strech before I started, I thought he didnt have the hotnuts, I quickly found I didnt also!
LOL

-JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline LSR M5

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:18:23 PM »
This is a very good choice for an MS project (although I have a personal issue with the insight being labeled as a "sports" car!) and is one I would of considered using if I didn’t have 2 rolling FIats donated.

I will admit that I was hoping (based on your name) that you would do a LSR BMW.
THere is a performance shop where I get my turbo stuff about a mile from my house www.horsepowerfreaks.com that is making turbo kits for the M3 and are well into 1200 WHP. I have been trying to get those guys to consider a salt car as apposed to the drag and road race stuff they are currently into. Maybe now I will have to do a LSR BMW!

I do suggest with the Insight that you take the time now to strech the wheelbase to 130". This was a mistake I learned that cost me time and money. These short wheelbase cars are a real handful at higher speeds. Jim Miller suggested I should  do the strech before I started, I thought he didnt have the hotnuts, I quickly found I didnt also!
LOL

-JH

The LSR BMW sounded like a great idea until I figured out how much work would have to be done to make it legal as far as safety equipment. So, it was a good idea for 15 or 20 seconds.
Nick
1376 G/BGS
3522 G/GC

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 12:31:35 PM »
is the motor and controller any good?
ya gonna sell 'em?
kent

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 12:45:19 PM »
THere is a performance shop where I get my turbo stuff about a mile from my house www.horsepowerfreaks.com
-JH

I didn't know that place was there!   4.1 miles from my house!  Not that they would have a lot for a V4F!

Mike

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline LSR M5

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 04:17:40 PM »
is the motor and controller any good?
ya gonna sell 'em?
kent

The electric motor and hybrid gear seem to be just fine. The battery holds a full charge and the electric motor starts the engine without using the starter with no problem.

The car has 223k miles, so I'm pretty sure at least the battery has been replaced. PM me if you're interested in any parts. I've got a list of all available parts on an Insight forum: http://www.insightcentral.net/community/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8154
Nick
1376 G/BGS
3522 G/GC

Offline will6er

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 11:40:09 PM »
Nick-

As an Insight driver for 8 years, I really wanted to see the 2010 Insight run. Best of luck on your project.

will6er

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 08:30:11 AM »

The LSR BMW sounded like a great idea until I figured out how much work would have to be done to make it legal as far as safety equipment. So, it was a good idea for 15 or 20 seconds.

Nick, the amount of work and cost is the same for any vehicle you choose to make it a safe and legal LSR contender...  :|
The aero is probably the big consideration, good luck with your MS project, we will all be interested in how you do, keep up posted  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline LSR M5

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 08:34:13 AM »

Nick, the amount of work and cost is the same for any vehicle you choose to make it a safe and legal LSR contender...  :|
The aero is probably the big consideration, good luck with your MS project, we will all be interested in how you do, keep up posted  :cheers:

Not when we're talking about creating a 225mph+ street car (D/PRO - see my avatar)... the Insight is going to be considerably easier and several orders of magnitudes less expensive to prepare.

I am well aware of what it takes. I just decided against tearing up my BMW. It might be fun to do down the line though when I'm rich and famous. As I said, it was an extremely fleeting thought that only lasted until my daydreams were brought back down to earth.
Nick
1376 G/BGS
3522 G/GC

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 09:30:05 PM »
I was thinking that it couldnt be all that much diffrence in the long run to build an MS insight VS. a M series. I looked into what a turbo kit cost for the M3.....

Upwards of 35K for the stage 3 kit alone.

I say good choice with the insight!
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)