Author Topic: fuel shut off vavle  (Read 2973 times)

Offline WZ JUNK

fuel shut off vavle
« on: July 31, 2004, 09:18:00 PM »
I need clarification on the fuel shut off device.  The rulebook says something like preventing it from reopening.  What does this mean?  It could mean that it locks in the off position and the driver can not open the valve after he has shut off the fuel.  Or it could simply mean that there is a stop to prevent it from going over center and opening again.  Can someone help me on this question?
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: fuel shut off vavle
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 11:50:00 AM »
The intent of the rule was that it should remain off when released. The same goes for the kill switch.
 I is not worded very well and the rider should be able to restore it to the on position.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 01:40:00 PM »
You do not state if this is for a car or M/C but for a car a fuel shut is for "non stock" fuel systems and an electric pump is NOT considered non stock. In a car if you pull or push your valve handle to close it we do not want it able to open by it self (spring). Mechanically it is allowed for the driver to do it but not by it self. On and M/C if you were using a mechanical fuel injection(Hilborn) I'm sure the same rule applies....Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 04:54:00 PM »
Sorry, I should have mentioned that the car is B Competion Coupe.  It has both mechanical and electrical fuel shut offs presently(not spring loaded).  Thanks for the help.
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.