Author Topic: Transmission choice!  (Read 4031 times)

Offline speediesparks

• New folks
Transmission choice!
« on: November 03, 2008, 08:03:10 PM »
Been going thru the old posts about various 4 speed transmissions. :-o Would like to know the pros and cons of the G-Force and Jerico transmissions.They both offer a good selection of gear ratios.One thing I do like about the Jerico is you can vary the location on the shifter,don't know if you can do that on the G-Force.Any help would be greatly appreciated. :-D
THANKS
Just counting the days to go racing!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Transmission choice!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 01:59:37 PM »
Been going thru the old posts about various 4 speed transmissions. :-o Would like to know the pros and cons of the G-Force and Jerico transmissions.They both offer a good selection of gear ratios.One thing I do like about the Jerico is you can vary the location on the shifter,don't know if you can do that on the G-Force.Any help would be greatly appreciated. :-D
THANKS

Call G-Force and ask them.  We have been very happy with ours.  At the time we considered G-Force, Tex and Jerico and finally decided on the remanufactured G-Force, but at this time I can't remember exactly what brought me to that choice, but we haven't regret it.

They had one out to us in less than a week with all of the gear ratios we needed and it looked brand new.  We opted to by one that could be outfitted with a pump just in case we wanted to sell it at some point as that would widen the market to people who use these in road-race cars/trucks.

Don't forget you don't want one like the drag racers use that easily comes out of gear if you get out of the throttle.  We got one that I think is called clutch assist, but it has been shifted without the clutch.  In '07 we got to the starting line and found out we couldn't disengage the clutch.  I pushed Hooley to about 55 and he pulled it in gear and made the other shifts without the clutch and ended up in impound.  Instead of trying to mess with the clutch in the limited impound time we left it alone and ran the backup the next morning the same as the day before.  He partially spun the car and we didn't get the record, but that was no fault of the G-Force.

A couple years ago someone was suppose to be attending Speed Week that had extra gear sets, but I don't know if that is still the case.  They said you could change the sets yourself in a couple hours once you had done it, but we are still running the same gears, though there might be a change for next year.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 02:50:58 PM »
We bought our 1st G-Force when it was still owned by George Flores. We have purchased another one also for the lakester. They have been very good and reliable pieces. One of the things we like is being able to put any gear ratio in each gear that we want. We also use an air shifter which makes things a lot easier in a "liner". We use the drag race type because we never want to come down on compression. It doesn't pop out of gear on deceleration but essentially free-wheels. We do not use a clutch to start or shift. We just start it in neutral, put up to about 50, lower engine rpm, engage 1st gear and drive away. Then just push the button to shift. Also both our transmissions are 5 speeds.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 03:24:18 PM »
If you don't mind pulling the handle go to www.texracing.com .. Go to products, load the catalog. At the SR and T-101A there are ratio charts. Start at the top for the main gear selection and look down from there. These are what they have available. They also do a T-101 from used parts. 

All of these manufacturers have these charts available. May help you decide...Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro