Author Topic: Classic American Body  (Read 4310 times)

LittleLiner

Classic American Body
« on: November 03, 2008, 04:13:10 PM »
I posted this under ECTA but it probably applies across all venues . . .

What is an "American" car?

The Classic Category stipulates "American" coupes and sedans.  Is that meant to cover ALL cars with American labels? - Chevy, Ford, Buick, Studebaker, Willys, etc.  Or, does that exclude captive imports that were sold as American cars but were built somewhere else?  - Buick Opel, Plymonth Arrow, Dodge Colt, Mercury Capri, Ford Fiesta, and others that were available prior to 1981 and had American names but were built somewhere else. 

Another car that was built in America (New Stanton, PA) prior to 1981 was the first generation VW Rabbit.  Is that an American Car under the Classic Rules?

I assume that a true classic per the Classic Category rules should be a car from the big three and their long gone competition, (American Motors, Nash, Studebaker, Willys, Crosley, Hudson, American Austin, etc).  Comments?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 04:14:55 PM by LittleLiner »

dwarner

Re: Classic American Body
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 07:02:46 PM »
The last paragraph makes the correct assumptions. If you have a different plan I would get confirmation in writting before depleting the budget.

DW

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 09:57:31 PM »
Liner, I am with DW on this one....as to his thoughts on Classic.

Just my read on it.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 10:34:04 PM »
The second sentence of the description (5.C Classis Catagory) says, " The classes within this category are intended to provide a venue for coupes and sedans from the "Golden Era" of American automobile production."

If you can convince the SCTA that an '81 VW fits that, I want you for my lawyer!  :-D

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

LittleLiner

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 08:30:38 AM »
I asked the question to stir the pot.  While surfing a web site I came across a photo of a really good looking Plymonth Arrow in drag racing trim.  I thought it might make a good foundation for an interesting LSR car, maybe a Classic coupe.  Then on second thought I realized it was a car built in Japan.  Hummm . . . Plymouth?  Japan?

If you can convince the SCTA that an '81 VW fits that, I want you for my lawyer!  :-D

Mike -

A lawyer, I am not.  I recall a lawyer friend of mine once saying he had a hard time getting into law school because they found out that his parents were married when he was born.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 03:22:16 PM »
Definition of a crying shame .... A bus load of lawyers going over a cliff with 6 empty seats.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 03:43:51 PM »
Oh -- now that I've clicked on the topic I see it's about cars.  Dang -- when I saw "Classic American Body" I thought I'd be seeing the beach volleyball team, or maybe the Hooters girls, or maybe even the old Marilyn Monroe ad for Dial soap.  You know, the one where she was partially clothed and the ad copy was "You get it with Dial".

By the way, remember another Dial soap ad/joke?  "Why do so many women like Dial soap?" 

It's because to them, Dial spelled backwards means a good time.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com