Author Topic: Production class...belt or chain?  (Read 8083 times)

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
Re: Production class...belt or chain?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 07:09:56 PM »
Well, I'm not talking XBRR here, so it looks like I had better find a selection of belt drive sprockets or run Modified production.

BTW, thanks for all the responses.
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 07:18:41 PM »
JimmySix... Scott is correct although we did adopt the SCTA's practice of allowing changes in gearing (even the visible rear, against some of our objections) to allow the bike the physical ability of obtaining the required speed if it has the power and aero combo to do so.

Jim, excellent question especially since the ECTA doesn't allow the class combos the AMA does (IE: seperating frames and motors by production, modified, etc), but you are correct in your thinking for our venue in that a factory race bike has (or could have, which is up to it's oem of course) an advantage that other production motorcycles do not, and therefore is classified as an altered bike with us. As Deb stated (and has happened with multiple bikes at Maxton) it takes the other entrants on hand and even spectators to help police the rules sometimes as it's not always obvious to the the entrant in question that he or she is not conforming to the rules. And The Buell XBRR is a factory race bike and was properly placed in the altered class when last raced at the ECTA, and I (unfortunatley, at this point) know nothing about the AMA rules or classes.

Willie, altered and special construction are one in the same but you are correct in the newer and correct terminology being special construction.
Todd
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:43:33 PM by narider »

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 07:59:52 PM »
Hey Thanks everyone. Todd I totally agree that the XBRR should be run in an Altered or Special Construction class. I think the AMA/BUB decision to let it run in the Modified frame / Production Pushrod eng. class may just change the concept of that class at their event. I don't think that machine is even given a VIN number, so it could never even be licensed for the street. I sure wish the main players in the Mcy. Land Speed Racing community could get their regs together since they are so close anyhow. Seems like the car rules are pretty cut and dry. Yet the little nuances of difference in the mcy regs creates problems when going from one venue to the other. I guess its, when in Rome, play as the Romans do. Thanks again for the input, I totally agree, Altered or Special Construction.

Ya'll stay happy & healthy      :cheers:
Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664