Author Topic: Production class...belt or chain?  (Read 8132 times)

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
Production class...belt or chain?
« on: November 02, 2008, 05:51:36 PM »
Can you run a chain in production class motorcycle (Buell) if the bike originally came with a belt?
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Beairsto Racing

Re: Production class...belt or chain?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 06:38:33 PM »
I can see why you would like to run a chain and have more gearing options but I'm sure others will chime in and agree, that the answer is no.
"The motorcycle shall appear identical in all respects to the production model it represents....."

Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 07:20:36 PM »
Scott gets it... :mrgreen:

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 09:05:20 PM »
Thanks for the info.
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 09:05:41 PM »
nope, wrong boys...you "can" change it.... it has been allowed before/

kent

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 11:15:39 PM »

kent

Sorry "Pops" just because my 240 open bike is legal this year does not mean it is legal next year.....right.. :evil:

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 11:25:16 PM »
kent

Well, that would sure make it easier to "borrow" chain parts from you again :-D
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 04:16:13 AM »
your 240 bike will be legal next year...you just need to wait till ya get your rule book and follow the directions
kent

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 03:19:38 PM »
Can you run a chain in production class motorcycle (Buell) if the bike originally came with a belt?

Performance advantages by altering the oem design is not allowed in the production bike classes (without being ok'd by the race director or president that is).

A performance advantage by running a 520 series sprocket and chain setup where a 530 series setup was original equipment is not allowed in Production class. Changing from a belt to a chain (which of course has a simliair advantage to it) is not allowed either. Even running a very light weight drilled aluminum rear sprocket on your bike that came with a solid steel rear sprocket (even though it is the same size or series chain) will most likely get you protested by your competitors whether it makes it through inspection or not.

Only sprocket and pulley changes within their original configurations can be done. For instance, the number of teeth on the sprockets or pulley (IE: diameter of the chainwheels) can be modified to better accomodate the speed you are attempting.

The reasoning for wanting to change from a belt to a chain is obvious... and an alternative might be to investigate a combinatrion of other simliiar tire sizes within your speed ranges, pulleys that were made for the same bike in other countries, and primary drive or even transmission gear options.
Todd

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 03:28:58 PM »
your speaking of the ecta im sure....

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 04:28:57 PM »
Asked & answered in the ECTA section!

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 05:02:09 PM »
Not a M/C guy but didn't the first Buells have a chain? HD Sportys had chains in '90, I put the first belt in SoCal on my '89 1200 in late '90 bought as a kit. As an observer I thought the rules for Production were as Scott stated..........rather use 4 wheels on the race track and 2 wheels getting there.. :-D
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 05:41:29 PM »
Interesting that the question is basically about a Buell.   May I add a humble question/comment.   Last year at the BUB meet a Buell XBRR which is a factory built formula racer ( I believe only 50 were made for certain teams), was allowed to run in a Modified /Production Pushrod class. Could that happen at ECTA ?  The way I read the rules from both organizations, I would say no. as per ECTA -( This class does NOT include factory produced road racing or any other "works" racing models". Very similar to the BUB/AMA rule.- As per BUB - AMA (Overall construction of the modified frame must be based on the original "production" design and geometry and NOT PURPOSE built.)  So where does the actual definition of "production" come into play? Everything is "produced", it doesn't just appear. To me, a production classed machine should be one thats mass produced and available to the general riding public. The XBRR was never mass produced for the general public consumption with only 50 made and sold to specific Formula dealer/teams, yet was allowed to compete in a M/PP 1350 class. Much to my objection I must add.
I'd love to have some feed back from Scott, Todd, John, and whoever has an opinion on this XBRR. Should it be allowed in "Production" classes when in reality it was a special purpose built Formula racing machine with only 50 manufactured.

Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 06:43:34 PM »
At the ECTA an XBRR must run in the Altered class. Race specific bikes must run in Altered. We've had more then one race specific produced bike at our track an XBRR included. If we find them we stick them in Altered. People like you help us find them! ;)

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline willieworld

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 07:06:26 PM »
deb---raining here--dont the ECTA and the SCTA have the same frame classes in motorcycle ---the SCTA doesnt have an altered motorcycle class there is an A class but it is special construction --- one more race and were done until may 09 --guess ill have to work to pass the time  LOL   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta