Author Topic: shielding tanks  (Read 3119 times)

Offline WZ JUNK

shielding tanks
« on: July 30, 2004, 03:33:00 PM »
We are trying to finish a car for B Competition Coupe. I was looking at a check off sheet that was supplied to help prepare us for tech.  It mentioned that all tanks and lines needed to be shielded in the area of the flywheel.  I found some information about the lines in the rule book but no reference about tanks.   We have an aluminum water tank in that area on the passenger side of the car.  Does it need shielding and if so what type of material and how thick?  Does it need to be covered completely or just on the side towards the bell housing?
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

dwarner

Re: shielding tanks
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 04:25:00 PM »
WZ,

The shielding referred to in the rulebook applies to gas tanks & lines. A water tank will require no shielding. A thought about having hot water in the driver's area - maybe not such a good idea as scalding can result. Most cars will have the water tank in the rear and outside of the driver's area. If the tank is mounted low and securly, adding or subtracting water is a good way to adjust ballist(sp) and weight distribution.

Good luck at the salt.

Dan

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 04:49:00 PM »
We debated on the location and this seemed to be the best place.  All of the connections to the tank are in the engine compartment.  We are making every effort to be ready for tech and we keep going over and over the book and the tech sheet.  Thanks
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 07:45:00 PM »
As an inspector if I saw an unshielded engine water tank in with the driver I would strongly reccommend protecting it from the driver. A few years ago a water tank over the drivers legs in a roadster split a seam and the driver had severe burns to his feet. All cars are subject to vibration and tank seams are the weakest point of the tank. My question to you is: Would you put your son or daughter in the car with an unprotected tank? Good luck ...J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro