Author Topic: Stationary wheel covers:  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Stationary wheel covers:
« on: July 27, 2004, 09:17:00 PM »
I know that this has probably been asked a few times of the tech inspectors but I have never been around for the answer. I would like to fabricate wheel covers for the front wheels on my lakester that do not rotate with the wheel, i.e. that are stationary. My plan is to make a the spindle bearing nut from a piece of 4130 heavy wall tubing and be able to lock it in place with a large locking stud. The tubing would extend out approx 2-3 inches and I would make a cross on which I would mount my flat wheel cover. Mounted this way it would not rotate. Before I take the time to do this is it legal??
 Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Stationary wheel covers:
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 10:07:00 PM »
It's probably legal but if any air gets behind it , there may be a problem with it bending and acting like a rudder and creating steering problems. Run it by the tech people first.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 12:43:00 AM »
Many have done it many ways...Glen is right about the air getting behind it. Most are behind the lip of the rim and very close but not touching it. You may not be able to make them "flat" like this.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 01:04:00 AM »
I would plan to turn "roll" the outer diameter of the disc so that is is actually just inside the rim of the wheel although per the rule book you are not supposed to be inside the edge of the tire. I would also add some stiffening ribs to give it some strength. Thanks for the replys, and I will run it past the tech inspectors next month at B'ville.
 Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.