Author Topic: Maxton October 08 Pictures/Stories  (Read 16074 times)

Offline Warp12

Maxton October 08 Pictures/Stories
« on: October 30, 2008, 02:09:40 PM »
Racheal managed to snap quite a few good pictures at last weekend's event. I just got some new ftp space, so I am finally able to start collecting and uploading them. Feel free to grab a picture and tell an associated story about the machines and/or people associated with them...or post your own! :)

I have quite a few more pictures to upload, and maybe a story or two myself. A great event, for many reasons!

Shane

Offline Warp12

Re: Maxton October 08 Pictures/Stories
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 02:44:32 PM »
Well, I'll start with a story about my attempt to hit 190 mph on my ZX-14. I've been working on this bike quite a bit since I got it back in May, and it is primarily used for drag racing. I've been racing for fun, along with my girlfriend Racheal, for about 2 years at Maxton...

So, the story goes...

Well, it rained almost all day here at Maxton! They stop the runs at 6 pm, and I made one run at near 5:30. Not many people got a run in today; I was one of the lucky ones!

The run went pretty well, if a little tentative. I have to get used to a new tuck with the step seat, and this is my first time using the shifter at the mile. As I said, I am trying for 190 mph this weekend. Here is what I've started off with:

Not bad! My gearing calculation is pretty darn close; I have roughly 200 rpm left in the bike before I hit the rpm limiter in 6th. I'm hoping that a good nights rest and cool morning air will get me to 190 mph tomorrow.

And the following day:

We got to the track at 6:10 am this morning. I rode the bikes up to the starting line in the dark to get a good spot in line. The weather conditions were very much improved in the morning. Unfortunately, my first run was another 189 mph pass. I suspected that the bike might be running a little lean in the cool air, but I didn't have my data logger hooked up to check it.

I decided that I needed to try something different. I installed the stock, shorter windscreen. I thought that it might help since I had been told by a couple of sources that the double bubble was not as aero as the stocker. Well, by this time a small headwind was developing. My next run netted a disappointing 185 mph.

So, I switched back to the double bubble and gave it another try. Another 189 mph pass. I was starting to think it just wouldn't go any faster! I went ahead an installed the LM-1 logger so I could at least see if I was running lean like I thought.

Finally, things went right:

My gearing was just about perfect. I hit the limiter right at/after the end of the traps. The logger also confirmed what I suspected. The bike was running about 13.7:1 a/f at the top of 6th gear. No wonder it wasn't pulling hard in the last couple hundred rpm!

I'd say that there are a couple more mph left in the bike with a good tune. I'm still very happy to run near 191 mph at 225 lbs. suited. I'm definitely not jockey-sized:

Here you can see that the concrete of Maxton can be a little abrasive on the tires:

My 190 mph mission accomplished! One final pic from trackside:

I also had a bit of a close call out there. Running very close to a cone through the lights, which put me in a very bad spot in shutdown. Completely due to rider error. The photographer caught it. When I get the picture I will explain more about what happened.

Shane
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:52:53 PM by Warp12 »

Offline Warp12

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 03:08:18 PM »

This picture has a GREAT story attached to it:

More to come...

Shane
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 08:30:23 PM by Warp12 »

Offline Warp12

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 04:33:52 PM »

Offline Warp12

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 04:40:42 PM »

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 07:46:17 PM »
Thanks for the great photos Shane.   :cheers:

Jimbo 
The Gray Ghost Project
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 08:32:01 PM »

I'll get this one... Todd Dross, trophy holding racer with his fast mover.... and his pink gripped ride...

Y'all sort it out from there...  :evil:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 09:13:36 AM »
Here's one for you:  A picture caption writing contest.  I'll send a landracing.com t-shirt to the winner.  I don't know how I'll select the winner - maybe let you folks help me.  Whatever, let's get started. 

What should the caption be for this wonderful photograph?

I look forward to seeing some creative comments...
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 09:20:48 AM »
Here are a few more Maxton '08 photos:

Joel's ride:

Not Joel's ride:

Nice license plate, hey?

Jack Broomall, finishing his first season of land speed racing.  A very successful season, with records at Maxton and Bonneville:

Here's Shane again:

My beloved on her first run at Maxton on our ZX14R:

Cute VW pickup:

Front door of Todd's shop.  It's a shameless plug, but what the heck - you might as well see where he works.

Finally -- here's what Nancy does to get back into the swing of regular life (now that racing is done for the year).  That's Michelle holding the gun, Nancy's left foot being decorated:

I've gotta get back to doing the dishes,  You folks work on the caption for the photo of Keith, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Warp12

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 12:06:29 PM »

"Keith Turk experiences some of that famous southern hospitality..."

(I better get my pre-registrations in extra early next year. :D)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 12:44:16 PM »

What should the caption be for this wonderful photograph?

I look forward to seeing some creative comments...

"That's illegal....southern beans (power)"
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 12:58:19 PM »
Great pics and congrats to you and Racheal both on a successful year Shane. 190+ on a lightly modded stocker and multiple 200+ runs....  :cheers: :cheers:

Warner Riley being there at Maxton is as it was the first time he came.... a tremendous highlite I only wish I could express fully and him being there of course didn't even have anything to do with me - I was in extreme envy of Jim Fischer having Warner there as his crew cheif - I mean WOW! It was an honor to share the limited time Deb and I could with Warner and Jim... true gentlemen both.

Thanks for the bi-line on that pic there Stainless, don't know what I'd do without you buddy.

Jon and Nancy... what can I say - THANKS for all you both do in so many ways! Oh yeah... and hot foot you got there gorgeous :wink:  :evil:
Todd

BTW.....

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 01:59:37 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Todd -  I don't know if you knew about it, but we almost lost Warner little over2 yrs ago as a result of a serious dirt riding accident. I have no doubt that being the tenacious competator that he is, his will to keep going pulled him through. This last year our friendship has been like a dream to me. I tell people, God help the poor guy that wakes me up from this one. Yes I am a very lucky guy sometimes, and this is one of them. Just prior to his accident Warner did set several records at Maxton, I believe one still stands in the APS/PBF 2000, "the Bonvillian"from Carls Speed shop. Some of the stories he has conveyed to me are absolutely precious. In particular the ones surrounding the Carl Rayburn/Denis Manning/Warner Riley/John Yeats #1 Harley Davidson Streamliner of '70-71?  record breaker. I met Jon Yeats at Bonneville this last Sept. He was noted as being the "unsung hero" of that streamliner. Story on that later, but he wasn't in most of the pictures then because he was the one behind the camera taking the pics. So anyhow, it brings joy to my heart to see that Warner is back and having fun. If I have anything to do with it, we'll see you again next season. Now its time to think about this winters new project for next year. For some unknown reason I feel a need to go just a bit faster.
A big thanks to all the ECTA volunteers and competators - you all are top notch people.

Jimbo    :cheers:
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 03:44:57 PM »

You said I could ride biotch, but you forgot to mention about sitting on the tailpipe.
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 03:50:15 PM »
Not bad, Guy, not bad at all.  I think you're ahead of the lot for now.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com