Author Topic: SBC Camshafts  (Read 9970 times)

Offline Racerboy

• Ken Pike
SBC Camshafts
« on: October 30, 2008, 01:25:01 AM »
I am building several SBC  C fuel motors for next year all running on alky no nitro and I would like some ideas on what camshaft to run. I like roller cams but I will entertain any idea's.   I don't want to run a lot of RPM. I am thinking about somewhere around 7200 to 7800 RPM.      Please chime in.
Long Live the Comp Coupe's

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: SBC Camshafts
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 10:03:19 AM »
I don't want to run a lot of RPM. I am thinking about somewhere around 7200 to 7800 RPM.

Any particular reason? An SBC with a roller cam can turn 10,000.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 10:30:10 AM »
I am guessing you are asking what grind and not for a manufacturer. I would call Isky or any big name and tell them what you are wanting. For 7800 rpm probably a few choices on the shelf. Just my opinion If I wanted to turn 7800 rpm tops I would build a big block. Also I could check with my builder on our grind but its a dog below 5500-6000

Later Rocket
10000 rpm +++++
I think the plus must be for plus a lot of broken parts! sure is fun though!

http://www.SaltSurfers.com
Nothing succeeds like persistence. I hope!

Offline Racerboy

• Ken Pike
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 11:59:51 AM »
You can't make a C motor (370 cid) with a big block can you ,I don't think they make sleeves that small or that short of a stroke crank. I have a lot of small block parts from my supermodifieds but I want to install a good profile camshaft that is more suitable for LSR

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 12:10:38 PM »
You need to give more information to get a real cam recommendation. What bore, stroke, rod, compression ratio, head flow numbers, etc.......
What kind of car? Frontal area?
You can just look in any cam makers catalog and find a cam that will run to 8000 no problem and get 90% of the horsepower the motor is capable of making.
Its that last 10% or 5% that you really have to work for.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 12:16:21 PM »
4-7 swap  :-D
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 12:16:53 PM »
There have been a ton of big blocks running as "C's" but not with "stock" parts. Like what is said above you need to figure out what you are wanting to do. Straight methanol in a nitro class normally won't have much of a chance. Whether you know or not GM did have a 366 cu in Mark IV engine; it was used in trucks....................Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 12:25:25 PM »
The problem is that all 366 (3.935" × 3.76") engines are tall (10.20") blocks. Assuming a fairly common 1.50" compression distance for stability and ring seal, a 6.82" rod is need for zero deck. Of course, the 366 heads really aren't suitable.
There will also be some valve shrouding, perhaps some notching will improve it, IDK how much?

Online SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 11:58:05 AM »
There are some 3.1 stroke BBC cranks out there that make wicked 360+CI Cs---BUT they need good Spread port heads to get any compression---I would go with the later SBC 6.0 truck engs---the 6.2 GM stock heads that will flow over 330 stock and 375 plus with some porting ----but why build any SBC you are not going to spin over 9000 :?---there are folks out there thinking and planning about 9000+ RPM from 500+ CI BBCs :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Grant Borman

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 07:10:18 PM »
There are some 3.1 stroke BBC cranks out there that make wicked 360+CI Cs---BUT they need good Spread port heads to get any compression---I would go with the later SBC 6.0 truck engs---the 6.2 GM stock heads that will flow over 330 stock and 375 plus with some porting ----but why build any SBC you are not going to spin over 9000 :?---there are folks out there thinking and planning about 9000+ RPM from 500+ CI BBCs :-D

Any more info?  Every time i do a search on Google i get hits for info about turning a blistering 6500 rpm's!  Building a boat with a 302 sbc (could change) and would like any info specifically about higher rpm operation.

Online SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 08:17:11 PM »
I was refering to LSR engs.---HOT boat engs are a lot like LSR engs  need lots of top end power for much longer than the drag strip.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline promachine

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 02:59:37 PM »
I hope your not planning on putting that C/F engine in a roadster. :-P
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline Racerboy

• Ken Pike
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 01:18:51 AM »
After the last race I would change classes if I had a roadster. 249 on the first pass. Hold on when they get that thing to run.
I am building a comp coupe

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 01:32:41 AM »
ill tell ya right now..... ya cant get the MPH without the RPM...
kent

Offline Racerboy

• Ken Pike
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 01:44:07 AM »
My 360 makes 760 hp at 7800 now with the sprint car cam in it . I am sure we can get the job done with some tuning. I can always spin it faster but I dont think we will have to. I have my 410 making 890 hp at 7900