Author Topic: Motorcycle Front Wheel Size  (Read 14409 times)

Offline Roland6250

• My Powered Streetluge Project
Re: Motorcycle Front Wheel Size
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 09:34:52 AM »
For those who did not get a good look at the 1200cc Harley Davidson Powered Streetluge the rear power pod detaches from the Streetluge.  What I was thinking about was building a streamline motorcycle front end and attaching it so I can run as motorcycle at events.  Being on the east coast that would allow me to run at Maxton and if it happens Loring.

The issue is I would like to run a small wheel on the front so it is easily enclosed.

Does anyone have info on the five inch wheels they run on the sidecars?

Offline Roland6250

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 10:01:36 AM »
Jonny Hotnuts

The Yellow streamliner I was talking about is the one built by Team Bullett

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 10:32:20 AM »
Roland, Top Fuel and then all the other RED ran little front wheels for a while.  Those can still be found, the tires can go 300 for a second, although several LSR folks have used them successfully on the salt.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline willieworld

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 11:21:13 AM »
roland     i have some wheels and tires that you are asking about---but im not sure you understand--if you have a motorcycle it has to have a minimum 15 in front rim--unless its a streamliner then you can run any size--the street luge that you saw ran at the bub meet-- you dont want to run a little tiny wheel like that ---im suprised that he got to run ---before you decide on wheels go to the track and look at the surface you might be shocked--------just some thoughts ----i know bob but the street luge would not be allowed to run ar a scta event and i dont think a ecta event either because of the front wheel size   
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

dwarner

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 11:59:55 AM »
Willie,

Roland is the guy that runs one of the street luges. he has run at Wos for a couple of years so he is familiar with the track surface. Runs well in excess of 100MPH. Check his avatar, photo of the Harly engine he ran this year.

DW

Offline willieworld

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 12:16:55 PM »
then he should be familiar with the rules  --build a  bike roland maybe you could do a sidecar and race me when you do i have some wheels --they are dragster wheels  5 in  good to 300 mph     willie buchta
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 12:23:20 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Roland6250

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 12:28:43 PM »
Willie can you send a picture of the wheels you have and where they can be purchased?

Offline willieworld

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 12:34:09 PM »
roland i will send you a pm  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

McRat

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 12:46:48 PM »
I have a new 18" O.D. x 4.4" wide business jet tire that is 190mph FAA rated at 3550lb that I accidently bought.  I thought they meant 18" rim, but it's about 12" rim.  Yes, I'm dumb. :-D  It can only be mounted via a split rim though.  The bead on the tire is uber-stiff, it doesn't bend, and it's 10ply.  For sale cheap, $75.

So much for the infomercial, but I do believe that aircraft tires are something that needs serious thought.  They are come in hundreds of sizes, and are extensively tested at very high loads and speeds.  Plus they are less likely to fail by FOD or sliding sideways.  Seems "LSR Racing Tires" don't have as much luck in those areas.  But they are $$$ and require custom rims.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 12:48:39 PM »
ya know Willie those tires areint the greatest thing you are hoping they are.... you probably haven't seen one explode or better yet, you probably haven't seen a tech inspector cringe when they see them... definitely OK for a side car wheel but pretty scary as a steering tire
kr

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 01:00:26 PM »
oh yes those air plane tires have been very very throughly thought out... your kinda new to this lsr thing but believe me its a been there done that kinda thing.... those digger tires that Willie loves are originally air plane tires... Oh yeah... 10 ply's, really cool... I've even got some 14 ply 215 knot rated skins.... hey go ahead and pick that 10 plyer up...ohhh... yep pretty heavy ain't it.... probably ok for a 190mph skip but the weight will throw itself apart on the long course... the plys are there to keep the thing from popping when the bird is slammed to the deck.... we need thinner skin with less ply's to shed heat but a really really stiff bead to keep it from lifting from the rim
kent

Offline willieworld

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 02:25:11 PM »
kent the tires that i have arnt airplane tires --these tires are goodyear eagle frontrunners made by goodyear for rear engine dragsters---the top fuel guys went back to a 17 in wheel not because of a tire problem but because of a staging light problem---the taller the tire the more roll out the more headstart you get at the starting line--i have seen dragsters go over 300 mph many times with no problem--and lsr cars and bikes over 250mph with no problem ---i know you will say that drag racing and lsr arnt the same and you are right drag racing is much harder on tires than lsr is ---maybe some one could do some testing  i will donate the tires and rims  ---just got off the phone with nate jones he said he can test the tires to 250 mph will send them to him in a couple of weeks when we go to el mirage   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 02:55:14 PM »
Willie
those were originally a goodyear aircraft tire that Don Garlets had goodyear remove the aircraft lettering on the sidewalls to use for drag race application... yes the larger tires have a bigger roll out and they don't pop..... yes the tires are good stuck way out in front of a digger that has the tire in the air for 6 seconds...but what do ya think happens when ya try loading em up and run 5 miles with em....
 I believe Hartman on his lakester was the last person to find out the hard way... but hey you go ahead and run em Willie, just be carefull recomending possible unsafe things to some one who might kill themself with your advise..... again, safe stuck out on a side car but not safe as a loaded tire..
Kent

Offline willieworld

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 03:22:42 PM »
i never reccomended anything--i said i had some tires --someone asked about some small tires for a luge that ran below 150 mph --if you are going to put words in my mouth at least get it right  -- willie buchta

thats don garlits
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 04:04:33 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

McRat

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 03:25:27 PM »
oh yes those air plane tires have been very very throughly thought out... your kinda new to this lsr thing but believe me its a been there done that kinda thing.... those digger tires that Willie loves are originally air plane tires... Oh yeah... 10 ply's, really cool... I've even got some 14 ply 215 knot rated skins.... hey go ahead and pick that 10 plyer up...ohhh... yep pretty heavy ain't it.... probably ok for a 190mph skip but the weight will throw itself apart on the long course... the plys are there to keep the thing from popping when the bird is slammed to the deck.... we need thinner skin with less ply's to shed heat but a really really stiff bead to keep it from lifting from the rim
kent

The 18" dia tire is 12lb unshaved.  300lb of weight deflects it less than 1/2" uninflated.  Whether it would hold up at 300mph, I do not know.  I'm not a mathematician, but looks like about 8,000g's of force will be applied to it at 300mph at the circumference.  Assuming my math is close, that means the tire loading is not even significant, it's all RPM.  So testing could be done unloaded.  Mount and pressurize, then put it on an engine stand with blast shielding, take it up to 6000rpm which should be 330mph (doing the math in my head).  If it lets loose, it will make for great YouTube footage.  If it doesn't?  I'd trust it.

The Phoenix ran aircraft tires up to 280mph successfully under huge loads if my info is right, and it was most likely about a 80lb tire.

Yup, I'm a newbie to LSR.  But that doesn't mean I don't need tires.  The only LSR tires that are weight rated for my truck are now discontinued, hence my searching of aircraft catalogs and other alternatives.  It's mainly a sport for lightweight vehicles, so I just have to get creative.