Author Topic: Maxton weather  (Read 5423 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Maxton weather
« on: October 25, 2008, 05:57:29 PM »
The weather channel says tomorrow is going to be dry. Does anyone know if they got to run today.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline krusty

Re: Maxton weather
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 06:42:52 PM »
Glen - I left a little after 3pm - track was pretty well dried, but the wind was picking up and no runs had been made. I think there might be some 'weepers' on the track surface that might have made it dicey to run. Hope they got some runs in after I left. Tomorrow looks good.   vic

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 06:55:28 PM »
Vic, thanks :-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 08:14:32 PM »
We had about 3 hours of runs.  228 is the fastest car so far.  I do not have details - other side of the pits getting ready to pull ours up to the line in the morning

Joel
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 09:23:24 PM »
As Joel said, we did get in about three hours of runs.  Here's the Mustang that went 228 -- nice run, but he was trailing a smoke screen as he went though the lights.

I don't know what the problem was, but when he was in the pits again the crew was not scrambling to fix anything (as far as I could tell), so I guess whatever it was -- it wasn't big.

Here are some of the other vehicles:

This is Shiphteey (I think that's how Ali wanted me to spell his name) and one of his bikes.

It was a weekend for light blue leathers:

...and light blue bikes:

And here's the winner of today's "unusual engine" award:

Front cylinder pumps air...

...through this PVC arrangement of plumbing, part of which function is to be a reservoir for the pressurized charge.

And here's the bike and rider pushing through the pits.  I didn't ask if he had got a run in -- but the bike ends up being a 650 cc, and I hear he gets about 5 pounds of boost out of the system.  I'll letcha know tomorrow about his speeds.

Anyway, we got in runs from around 3.30 or so until 6.05PM.  You can see some shadows in the photos -- it was nice later in the day.  73F temps, not much breeze, and what there was was pretty much from the tail.

Tomorrow's forecast is for fast runs starting about 8AM.  Nancy and I are going to make some runs on our bikes -- but I'll try to get some posts in during the day to let you know what's what.  Later, and everyone have a good night.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 02:04:21 PM »
Mark DeLuca ran 206.8 twice to up (just) his all motor naked motorcycle record. New bike only it's second run. Steve ran 226 naked with a turbo for three records then Bill Warner ran a 238 on his to show us how it really is done. He is the King.  :cheers:  Nice weather today. Enjoy the off season everyone.   

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 09:15:53 PM »
Mark DeLuca ran 206.8 twice to up (just) his all motor naked motorcycle record. New bike only it's second run. Steve ran 226 naked with a turbo for three records then Bill Warner ran a 238 on his to show us how it really is done. He is the King.  :cheers:  Nice weather today. Enjoy the off season everyone.   

Your team ran well Charlie!  :wink:
After many years of racing at the same venue I finally stalked them this year to get to know them!
I'm glad I did as they are top notch gentleman and it was truly my pleasure to have become friends with them!
The new bike is a beauty and we look forward to watching it progress next year!
Congratulations on a successful year for your team!
Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 09:48:57 PM »
Nancy and I have found a nice Patel motel here in Rocky Mount, NC, having left Maxton around 4.45PM.  Here's a little bit of what happened today -- and a promise (from Debbie) that she'll get the run information up here tonight or tomorrow. 

first of all, two cars and zero bikes got their riders/drivers into the ECTA 200 MPH Club this weekend.  Dennis Bovey (was that his name?  I asked him twice -- should have written it down, hey?) drove that sharp blue Mustang (photo above) into the club with a 228.65, he told me.  I hear last month he ran a 199.98 or so -- and this month figured it all out and bumped that speed about 30 mph!  Remember I mentioned some smoke out the back end as he went through the lights?  He said it was a bit too much boost -- lifting the heads just enough to let some coolant move into the exhaust tract.  They did blow a boost hose off later, but no damage.

And the other fella into the Club?  Did I take notes?  Do I have a photo?  Well, no, although we were discussing how photography seems to have taken the back seat this weekend.  I know I didn't take too many shots -- just Nancy at the line on our bike.  We'll see what others post here.

Todd Dross set a naked record on Debbie's bike -- in the 190's.  I see Larry Forstall posted about the riders in his stable (well, not really, but he knew their speeds so that's the line I'll use), and Bill Warner's 238 is a big number (not his fastest, but he doesn't have all that much that he HAS to prove here at the end of the season.  The blue gym outfit he was wearing yesterday was sharp, though.

Our ZX15R made one good pass -- 187.23 on its first-ever run.  Nice strong motor -- but with some shifting issues.  Nancy couldn't get it out of first gear on her run -- made a nice 84 mph pass in first, though. 

Oh, yeah - that Harley with front cylinder pumping, back cylinder firing?  He ran 75's.  Shiphteey turned in some fine numbers on his '04 Ninja 250 -- best one I saw was 112.6.  Not bad for that little bike, most of which run about 10 mph slower.

Look for the run logs and records as soon as Deb gets 'em in form good enough to post.  Hey, she might put them on the home page, even. 

That's it for now.  Gotta recharge the batteries in this laptop.  Good night, all.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 12:09:53 AM »
Well we are back home after a couple of minor issues on the road.  A strap coming loose.  A pickup bed cover having issues.  Traffic outside of Richmond Va, etc..   Still we made it back in once piece and with about the same driving time as going down.  This was the best meet we have had so far.  We made more than 1 run without breaking something.  We managed 3 runs on Sunday.  I was in line for a 4th when the meet closed.  We did not run nearly as fast as we wanted but with putting a new clutch in on Friday and still making it down to run our own personal best and not break anything was AWESOME.  A big thanks to Terry for letting me drive his truck and up my license!  His generosity is what this sport is all about!  My wife took a few pictures so I thought I would share some.
Joel

Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

LittleLiner

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 01:29:49 PM »
Dennis Bovey (was that his name?  I asked him twice -- should have written it down, hey?) drove that sharp blue Mustang (photo above) into the club with a 228.65, he told me.  I hear last month he ran a 199.98 or so -- and this month figured it all out and bumped that speed about 30 mph!  Remember I mentioned some smoke out the back end as he went through the lights?  He said it was a bit too much boost -- lifting the heads just enough to let some coolant move into the exhaust tract.  They did blow a boost hose off later, but no damage.

Jon . .  let me offer a little help here on the details. . . the owner driver is Steve Benyo and the team is the Team Saline Centimark Mustang out of Pittsburgh, PA.  I don't know Steve personally but we have two mutual friends including Randy Cooper who does the video work for the team.  The team has a web site at http://www.landspeedmustang.com

Check out their video from speedweek.  They set a record at Speedweek but missed the red hat because of the class minimum in the two club.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 03:13:18 PM by LittleLiner »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 03:28:17 PM »
Benyo, yeah, that's what he told me.  I apologize for my misspelling, but not for getting the basic stuff right -- that he got his green hat.  Again, our congratulations.  And thanks, LL, for the fix.

Okay -- Todd Dross talked as he and Debbie were leaving Maxton a few hours ago.  He's not feeling well, and Deb is sicker than a dog - so while she got the data from the weekend's racing collated and on the ECTA site -- it's not here yet.  But -- believe it or else, I think I can post a few links here so you can find the results without too much more hassle.  Here, for instance, are the new records:

http://www.ecta-lsr.com/events/2008/Records1008.php

Here, for those of you that pay attention to the points chase, is the updated point listing:

And if you want the full log of runs -- go to this page and download all of the data for yourself (I don't want to put a 100k file on here, taking us so much space that others might want to use.).  Here's the link to the ECTA page:

I hope this will keep you satisfied for a while.  And I hope Debbie stops throwing up soon -- can't be too much fun for her (or Todd!).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 03:32:29 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com