Author Topic: 63 TBird Seatbelt/Harness Question.  (Read 4049 times)

Offline FishPie

• New folks
63 TBird Seatbelt/Harness Question.
« on: October 25, 2008, 03:56:44 PM »
I went to watch the Sept meet and decided to bring my 63 TBird to the show next year.

I have no doubt it will do 125mph, maybe more. The old TBird only has a crappy 2pt belt and it's a hardtop, so I think a 3pt mounted to the roof is not the answer.

I'm thinking that a 4pt rollbar is needed. Then we can put in a 5pt harness.

What do you think?

Rick Fish

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: 63 TBird Seatbelt/Harness Question.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
Fish pie, I assume you are talking about El Mirage. First get a rule book and read it several times. You will need a approved race seat, seat belts/harness, roll cage, fire system etc. All things must be covered by the current safety rules. SCTA, & ECTA safety rules are basically the same in most cases. You didn't say where you live or where you wanted to run. If you are in California you can get a lot of build help and have your car looked out by an inspector most of the time. If not local you can get tons on help on this web site. Welcome to LSR, enjoy your trip into a new world .

:cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 05:19:36 PM »
.........I have no doubt it will do 125mph, maybe more. The old TBird only has a crappy 2pt belt and it's a hardtop, so I think a 3pt mounted to the roof is not the answer...........

Don't forget you are doing this in a mile and your gearing has to be on.  I found that to be a problem with my setup running in the 130 mph club deal at WOS.  I was geared to low for 3rd (ran 125 in 3rd 500 rpm past my peak HP) and too high for 4th (overdrive -- 118 mph).  Sure the truck will run over 130 if I had say 1 1/2 to 2 miles in overdrive as it was pulling overdrive, but not in a mile.

Glen I think he is talking Maxton as the question is under ECTA, but regardless a rule book would sure be in order.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 05:25:57 PM »
Guess I should read the small print as well Sum.  :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 07:46:31 PM »
Welcome aboard, Rick.

I concur - get the rule book.

My first car was a '62 T-bird - never raced it, but I think that body might have some advantages for an LSR car - it's slick, it's got some heft, and you've got great options in the production classes as far as an engine is concerned.   

Do you intend to run at Maxton?

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline FishPie

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 09:51:36 PM »
I guess I wasn't clear.

Yes, I went to Maxton in Sept. just to visit. I live in Saratoga NY. I had such a wonderful time there and I want to play. I've been trying to think of a suitable car, and I think my 63 TBird is a good candidate to learn on. Highway cruiser, big 390.

I'd like to go to Bonneville someday. Gotta start somewhere, gotta learn the game. Like not bragging about how fast your car is. Checked my speedometer today with GPS. Speedo reads 20% high. So the old 390 at 4000 rpm should be 100 mph. The 390 runs out of steam at 4200 rpm. I have another 9 in center section with 2.50 gears out of a Lincoln.

So the question is about making my TBird pass inspection seatbeltwise. A 2 pt lap belt isn't acceptable. I was thinking about a 4 pt rollbar to mount a 5 pt harness and provide a headrest. I have read the rule book and this seems like the only solution. Is there a simpler way to cure this problem?

Thanks..FP

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 10:04:29 PM »
I do think that the factory seatbelts in the Thunderbird will be enough if you keep the speed under 135 at Maxton.  Helmet, long sleeved shirt and long pants, factory seat belt -- gets you a 135 sticker and permission to go up to that speed.  Get out there and make some runs -- you'll get the fever quickly enough.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

LittleLiner

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 02:06:23 PM »
I went to Maxton in Sept. just to visit. I live in Saratoga NY. I had such a wonderful time there and I want to play.

Hey FP!  I think you were one of the guys that rode along with me during driver orientation, (If not, then there were a bunch of folks from Saratoga that weekend!)

Rather than run the Bird would you consider buying my Beltway Bandit Suzuki Swift?  I have the inter-cooler pipe issue solved. I am pretty sure I want to finish the Gas Coupe so the Bandit needs to go.   Lots of records for the picking!  Send me a pm, ASAP cause I have a guy looking at the car on Saturday.      Art