Author Topic: crazy diesel to gas motor question  (Read 5033 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

crazy diesel to gas motor question
« on: October 21, 2008, 12:52:56 PM »
THis is a question that is a bit left of center but I was wondering why a guy couldn’t take a small bore diesel motor…..lets say something like a 3.0 and make an awesome blown gasoline race motor out of it.

It would seem to me that you could destroke the motor (leaving the deck height the same) to lower the CR and allow the motor to run higher RPM and convert the injection to run gasoline.

Recently I seen a diesel motor taken apart and it had huge mains, cylinder studs, bearing journals and massive thickness between the cylinder walls. I got the idea that you could convert this to a high boost (30+ psi) gasoline motor with a few mods. It seems to me that the nature of a diesel motor would allow for much higher boost than a standard gasoline motor and the potential for making higher HP based on other motors of like displacement.

Is this idea crazy?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 12:54:53 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline gearheadeh

Re: crazy diesel to gas motor question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 03:36:18 PM »
From the stand point of the block ,yes it is very strong and heavy....but that's okay for b,ville.I.M.O. you would be hard pressed to find a cylinder head for a  diesel that would support high r.p.m. valve train and or would have ports thats flowed much air! . Also the crank is very heavy and would have to be lightened. Not to mention custom rods and pistons if this thing is gonna rev past 3000 rpm.That and the flywheel would be good as a ship anchor!. :-)
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 05:38:06 PM »
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:21:27 AM by panic »

McRat

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 05:48:20 PM »
It's been done a few times.  I hear of one that's based on the 7.3L Ford V8 that runs methanol at ~15:1 compression with huge boost.  2000HP? sled pulling engine.

Newer diesel engines run aluminum 4v heads, roller cams, solid lifters, and fully counterweighted, forged, nitrated crankshaft (Duramax for example).

Big boost for a diesel is 100+ PSI running compound chargers.  I run just a little boost, 40-60PSI depending on what I'm doing.  I only rev to 4500 so far due to turbo size and electronic issues.  Hopefully by SW 2009, I will get it up past 5000.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 05:50:46 PM by McRat »

Super Kaz

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 12:07:13 PM »
I have my 2003 6.0 PSD motor with about 20k miles on it. I blew a headgasget ,and replaced the 2003 motor with a Brand New 2006 I bought off ebay{Big Mistake :x} now I have this Spare 6.0 PSD Motor sitting on a trailer in my gargage :-o!Ford has a $3000.00 core charge +$13,995.00 for a new 6.0 Motor. The Injector's alone are another $1500 core charge+$$$$$ for stage 1 or 2 Sticks! 8-)
I also have the stock main wiring harness+ a spare,2006 stock motor mounts,and 2006 Turbo system with full exhaust manifolds,and rebuildable Turbo.
The heads are off the motor and taken apart,but everything should still be there :wink:?
It's a Great Starter Project PM me if interested?
Thanks,
Kaz.............

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 01:28:46 PM »
You might be out of synchro -- looks like you wear a different outfit for riding the bike and driving the truck.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Super Kaz

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
You might be out of synchro -- looks like you wear a different outfit for riding the bike and driving the truck.

I do yard work and sleep in my Leather's Too:evil:!

Offline jl222

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 03:01:34 PM »

New gear for bull riding :-o

JL222

McRat

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 04:25:27 PM »
There are two kinds of 6.0 Powerstrokes, those with a blown headgasket, and those awaiting parts. :-D

Super Kaz

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 06:20:13 PM »
There are two kinds of 6.0 Powerstrokes, those with a blown headgasket, and those awaiting parts. :-D

that Bitch has Cost me $$$$! Now I'm on the 3rd Motor and 6th ATS Billet Race Transmissions and Convertor's ,and 60,000 miles later :oops:!I Went ARP Head Stud's and New Style Gasgets ON BRAND New  2006 head's and the 03 Turbo.This  Just after I Blew the end Tank off the stock intercooler Racing John Noonan back to Vegas!I had No Cell service. That made for a Long 350miles Tow home at 25mph on the shoulder of the road back form Bonneville!Got a Trick New $1700.00 Intercooler and the Headgasgets went the next week:-o!
I did allot of BETA Testing for Edge Box and ATS ON THE 6.0!
I even had 100% Methanol injection on her back in 2003{511rwhp 903rwtq on stock turbo 6.0}:evil:! Now I can't afford the Renegade Totterhome anymore so I'm back racing out of my 1 and  Only Truck................
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 06:22:31 PM by Super Kaz »

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 06:45:05 PM »
WOW Kaz, Fords and HDs!!!
I can imagine why anyone would willingly put themselves through so much pain...... :-D
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Super Kaz

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 02:00:31 AM »
WOW Kaz, Fords and HDs!!!
I can imagine why anyone would willingly put themselves through so much pain...... :-D

Must be the 1/2 Polish 1/2 Italian combo :oops:! I Do $tuff the Hard way thats for sure :wink:.....

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 03:25:44 AM »
GASKET

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 03:46:41 AM »

that Bitch has Cost me $$$$! Now I'm on the 3rd Motor and 6th ATS Billet Race Transmissions and Convertor's ,and 60,000 miles later :oops:!I Went ARP Head Stud's and New Style Gasgets ON BRAND New  2006 head's and the 03 Turbo.This  Just after I Blew the end Tank off the stock intercooler Racing John Noonan back to Vegas!I had No Cell service. That made for a Long 350miles Tow home at 25mph on the shoulder of the road back form Bonneville!Got a Trick New $1700.00 Intercooler and the Headgasgets went the next week:-o!
I did allot of BETA Testing for Edge Box and ATS ON THE 6.0!
I even had 100% Methanol injection on her back in 2003{511rwhp 903rwtq on stock turbo 6.0}:evil:! Now I can't afford the Renegade Totterhome anymore so I'm back racing out of my 1 and  Only Truck................

Kaz,

It was "Hardley" a race..I made it back to Cali before you made ith the 3-4 hours to Vegas.. :wink:  More like a slaughter.. :evil:

However I will admit his truck (foad) fdd over all day was quick over a short distance just not fast over long distance as a Durablemax.. :-D