Author Topic: Modified sports C5 corvette  (Read 21250 times)

Offline javajoe79

Re: Modified sports C5 corvette
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 12:06:58 PM »
 I wasn't planning on moving the engine back or lowering it. I think with the trans in the back, it helps out the traction issue. However, we may move it back, keep the C5 torque tube, and use C6 rear suspension for a slightly longer wheelbase.If I lower it much from stock, the bellhousing and or flywheel will stick out below the plane of the bottom of the car. I want a complete belly pan with no interruptions so I can't do that.

I have asked before but if anyone has roll cage pics, I would love to see them. I have quite a few but I could always use more. I am planning on a funny car style cage but any cage pics would be nice.

bvillercr...
 How much fuel does your car use on a run? Start up + warm up + full run? Our goals are to eventually run a motor with similar power as yours so I would like to figure out how much fuel I need to carry. The vette usually uses two tanks, one behind each seat. I would like to run one cell on the passenger side. The smaller the better for packaging.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 01:56:45 PM »
Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  We figure it takes about 1 gallon per mile including warm ups.  Hope this helps. :cheers:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 02:27:36 PM »
Java, read the rule book on tank location. Pg.30, 3.I fuel systems. As I read it the fuel tank must be isolated from the drivers compartment. Do you plan on a sealed fire wall behind the drivers compartment.
Just wondering.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 04:27:10 PM »
Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  We figure it takes about 1 gallon per mile including warm ups.  Hope this helps. :cheers:
Thanks. So do you use at least a 6 gallon tank? I guess the stock tank is about 10 gallons. So I should be able to easily fit a 6 or 7 gallon tank in the same spot. Now to find an off the shelf fuel cell that will fit back there. We have done the custom bladder thing from fuelsafe before but it costs ALOT.  I sent you a pm by the way.

Java, read the rule book on tank location. Pg.30, 3.I fuel systems. As I read it the fuel tank must be isolated from the drivers compartment. Do you plan on a sealed fire wall behind the drivers compartment.
Just wondering.
Yes I do. I have read the book but don't know if a bladder is required, maybe I missed that part. I will have to check in to that. Anyone know?
615-210-1605

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2008, 05:33:32 PM »
Java, check with Jaz products, they make all kinds of fuel tanks.
www.jazproducts.com
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2008, 09:52:32 PM »
we have 20 gallon tank, a little big but it's large enough if we ever descide to run fuel

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 12:50:39 PM »
Yes I do. I have read the book but don't know if a bladder is required, maybe I missed that part. I will have to check in to that. Anyone know?
I don’t think that a bladder is required but if you are going to have a fuel tank anywhere near the driver compartment I would go overkill and do anything to prevent getting burned up. Even though it would be adding weight to the rear wouldnt putting a cell where the spare tire went or in the trunk be an option?
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 07:53:43 PM »
Even though it would be adding weight to the rear wouldnt putting a cell where the spare tire went or in the trunk be an option?
I thought about that and we have a cell that we could put there but I would like to keep the tank in front of the rear axle for the reason that you mentioned. I have to look around but I think that an off the shelf formula car bladder might work. The ones that are wedge shaped are what I am thinking of. Once I am further along and know how much room I am dealing with I can decide on a tank or fabricate one if no bladder is required.
615-210-1605

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 07:54:31 PM »
we have 20 gallon tank, a little big but it's large enough if we ever descide to run fuel
Good point on fuel.
615-210-1605

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 01:26:26 AM »
Here are a couple pictures of our cage with the lateral head buffers on.

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 03:55:33 AM »
Okay........ I just gotta ask, how do you pull those handles if your helmet is right next to them?
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 10:22:19 AM »
Those push fire buttons are not normally there.  We had to detach them to get our blown inter-cooler out.  Good eye. 8-)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 10:41:17 AM by bvillercr »

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 10:50:20 AM »
 Do you not run windows? I see the window net latch so I was wondering.
615-210-1605

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 02:05:54 AM »
 So alot of the cars I see have the exhaust out the side. I guess that is better for aero. Eventually I will do it that way once we go turbo but for now, with an na motor, I would like to use headers that I have, with turndowns to the underside of the car. Will that be ok? From an aero standpoint? It will be loud, no louder than out the side or anywhere else but as far as I can tell there isn't a sound limit.
615-210-1605

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 08:54:11 AM »
Read the part that says exhaust can't be aimed at the salt again. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O