Author Topic: Sportster/Buell Land Speed Build  (Read 100148 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Sportster/Buell Land Speed Build
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 04:02:51 PM »
found this on ebay today...it would be a good deal for you east coast guys...you could probably pick it up on your way back from maxton..... i sold it to a guy by the name of Phil Palazzolo in June 07... great stuff for a HD twin....
kent

And that would be..?

J

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 04:54:10 PM »
Looks like a deal... :-D

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 04:58:10 PM »
That oughta help somebodys Harley go fast.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 07:18:34 PM »
I used to drag race a chassis that was similar but narrower in the rear with an 8" wide Firestone car slick on a 15" aluminum rim and it was rock steady at the big end when it had some air pressure ... I lowered the pressure to 10 lbs and the result was something like EJ Potter ... Not sure why centering the engine on the long axis is critical but if centering the engine is critical I will cut the mounts off and relocate if that is the case ... Joe

Offline willieworld

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 06:33:07 PM »
paul batts may of went 159 mph on a buell---i guarantee he didnt do it with a bone stock motor --ive owned to many of them to believe that ---the fastest one i owned would go 131 mph on a good day at sea level--i got a ticket on that one for 119 mph in a 65 mph zone---the record at bonneville in the PPP 1350 cc class is 152.338 mph and thats a 1350 not a 1200 ----willie dpombatmir buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2008, 02:14:20 PM »

Fab'd some motor mounts off my son in law's iron head. Used .125 steel plate. Same frame spacing as the chrome moly frame. Corresponding engine holes appear to measure the same with a vernier caliper as well.

Measured distance from lower front mount hole to rear evo mount 15-1/8.

Marked the frame. I can shorten the front mounts and relocate the engine forward as an option. Not sure yet.

Rear mount measures 9% incline from vertical. The diagonal brace tube that runs under the engine will interfere with the sump on the evo. I will have to cut it out and review other bracing options. Not sure if it is even needed as this is not a drag bike. Spoke with Dan Dunn (NRHS). Aaron Wilson runs a similar frame which didn't have the brace. I believe it was made for an evo motor. He went 169 at Bub's.  I can cut the entire rear mount arrangement off and fab up a new one or chop this one and adapt to the evo.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2008, 02:23:13 PM »

I lined the front mount hole on the engine with the hole in the mount plate. Transfered the dims to the frame. Leveled everything up and the measurements appear perfect. I will kick everything around before I make any cuts. There are a bunch of options but I am of a mind to keep it simple, get it together and then play later.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 04:41:36 PM »
The good news. I fab'd up the rear mount out of .250" steel and test fit the evo engine. The engine sits in the center of the frame exactly where Willie says the c/g of the engine is located. 5/8" to the cam side of the case seam.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2008, 05:18:05 PM »
55   i think i said 1/2 in---but 5/8 is fine --on some bikes with a wide tire kit i have moved the transmission and primary and all contents as much as 2 in to the left without any handling effects --ive also ridden my road king with more weight in one saddlebag than the other and couldnt tell the differance--when you finish the bike if it worries you put a level on the rear disc -see which way the bike trys to fall and add a little weight on the opposite side ---or put a sidecar on it LOL     willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

bak189

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2008, 06:17:16 PM »
Or you can put the NEW real powerfull Buell engine in the frame and go real fast...................
Can you tell I am somewhat of a Rotax engine fan........but it does take one out of the "pushrod class"...............................................................................

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2008, 07:25:36 PM »
One step at a time. I want to have the bike ready for Maxton first of April. Motor work is done and I am using a donor Buell S1 so I should have a rough bike ready by then. How pretty it will be is remains to be seen.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2008, 07:37:20 PM »
i like the way you did the rear mount using the stock rear motor mount--less chance of problems   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2008, 07:44:36 PM »
I will add a gusset across the top so both sides match. Now I can see that the engine is closer to center then I initially thought. It looks like the mentioned 1/2" is right on.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2008, 07:48:49 PM »
paul batts may of went 159 mph on a buell---i guarantee he didnt do it with a bone stock motor --ive owned to many of them to believe that ---the fastest one i owned would go 131 mph on a good day at sea level--i got a ticket on that one for 119 mph in a 65 mph zone---the record at bonneville in the PPP 1350 cc class is 152.338 mph and thats a 1350 not a 1200 ----willie dpombatmir buchta

Willie... I'm looking forward to what exactly your "guarantee" includes?

With the exception of the ignition and the pipes, I'll not only gaurantee he did it on a bone stock motor (including clutch, stock carb and rocker boxes never been removed), but am also willing to put my money, my reputation and my proof on that guarantee.  With that in mind, what is it you'd like to offer up with such a strong statement you made there (don't ask for the proof unless you want to offer the other two items up in return).

You having "too many of them to believe it", only means you couldn't do it... nothing more. 
Study the bike and the man - before you judge the feat,
Todd

PS: the P/PP-1350 record at Maxton is over 158mph... neither of which have any relativity to their modified class records.

Joe, sorry to sheet on your thread with relative facts... you've done awesome things in the 1000cc class and i'm looking forward to the same from you in the 1350 class as well. Missed you in Maxton this meet. And I'm guessing you no longer need the items we discussed earlier?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 07:56:47 PM by narider »