Author Topic: Steam Powered Land speed and Water speed Record Attempt Machines  (Read 3828 times)

Offline Windy

• New folks
I would like to find any information and technical drawings of any steam driven Land and Water speed record attempt machines since the Second World War it is mainly turbine or piston engines that interests me. The Barber-Nichols, British Steam Car Challenge and JDM steam hydroplane I have some details about. It is the less well-known attempts I want to research. Especially their steam generation and control systems, any information would be gratefully received.
              Windy UK.
I used to sprint and drag race blown 650, 750 and double engined triumphs in the late 60s to mid 70s. Best s/s 1/4 9.59sec 156mph terminal. 1974 on my double engine Triumph at Elvington. 207.9mph was averaged over the flying 1/4 mile one way. A few years later I finished riding bikes but still get a thrill when there are speed events. My intrests now are wild life (nature), fishing and making model steam driven 122+mph National record holding hydroplane. Can not keep away from speed related things. Hoping the British Steam Car Challenge eventually gets a crack at the World record. When riding the big Triumph it was always a dream to have a go on the salt flats i.e. Like Bert Munro. Unfortunately it was not to be. I wish all competitors and supporters all the best in what they do.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
Re: Steam Powered Land speed and Water speed Record Attempt Machines
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 10:48:54 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Windy I cant really help but nice to see another Brit on the site.
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 01:55:17 PM »
Windy

I am sure that I should know you from sprinting/NSA events - cannot place the naqme fully.

In the time scale you defined I would guess that apart from the Lear steam turbine project - that morphed into the Barber Nichols motive power I recall - then the only wheel driven UK project was Peter Pellandine with his kit sports car (the Pelland Mk II).  Did make it to TV but failures of gaskets blighted his trials.  It did make the Elvingtom Records Meeting for a one way run not backed up.  I doubt that there will be any more projects other than those you listed.  Of course there may be US contributoprs who know of others over there.  Where is Jack Dolan when he is needed?  What about Australia?

My Metisse effort was fitted with a "steam" rocket (more correctly a hot water rocket).

The Steam Car Club of GB and the Speed Record Club may have information in archives to help your research. 

With your expertise and knowledge why not contact Gabriel Uttley (if you have not already done so) as he has a World Outright Motorcycle project underway in your locality and see if you can assist him.  You may then get to the BUB meeting at Bonneville, if Verneul Pan remains damp under foot!

Welcome to the site - and do not forget to remind our friends whenever you can that the record cars and boats you may be interested in have set International Records! (LOL).

Malcolm UK 

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Windy

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 04:27:12 PM »
Hello Malcom, Paul Windross is the name, when sprinting my nickname was Windy. My bikes where more junkyard creations but with a bit of initiative and plenty of nitro you could work wonders with them old Triumphs. Introduced myself to Gabriel and he had to remind me of an Audi engined monstrosity that I built, less said about that. Great to think a local lad is doing something I would have loved to have done. Got as far as making a scale model of the shell. As a newcomer to the internet and Landracing.com its opened a lot of doors for me and given me back that spark I had when riding fast machines. If you can get an old MCN 1973 article by Jim Reynolds on Garden Shed Record Buster it might give inspiration to outrite speed competitors with limited facilities.  I remember a mention of Peter Pellandine in my local paper, great to live near Elvington one of the premier speed record places in the UK that is unless some residents stop it being used. I ramble on a bit, but blame my age. Signing off, Windy   

I used to sprint and drag race blown 650, 750 and double engined triumphs in the late 60s to mid 70s. Best s/s 1/4 9.59sec 156mph terminal. 1974 on my double engine Triumph at Elvington. 207.9mph was averaged over the flying 1/4 mile one way. A few years later I finished riding bikes but still get a thrill when there are speed events. My intrests now are wild life (nature), fishing and making model steam driven 122+mph National record holding hydroplane. Can not keep away from speed related things. Hoping the British Steam Car Challenge eventually gets a crack at the World record. When riding the big Triumph it was always a dream to have a go on the salt flats i.e. Like Bert Munro. Unfortunately it was not to be. I wish all competitors and supporters all the best in what they do.