Author Topic: Leg restraints for motorcycle streamliners  (Read 9732 times)

Offline ironwigwam

Leg restraints for motorcycle streamliners
« on: October 17, 2008, 04:50:29 PM »
I want to add  leg restraints to my motorcycle streamliner to update my vehicle, but never got a chance to check out what the other builders are using at BUB last year. Seeing how the cockpit is wrapped for 180 degrees in aluminum, I thought of using a window net webbing as used in stock cars to cover the top of cockpit by the leg area over the steering arms.
   Any thoughts aboiut the webbing? Would the webbing satisfy "leg restraints" for streamliners?
    Rocky
    1957S/VG

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Leg restraints for motorcycle streamliners
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 05:03:40 PM »
What about funny car type leg restraints that retain lower legs and release at the lap belt
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline ironwigwam

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 05:57:43 PM »
Sparky,
  Jeez, I never gave that a thought. I'll ask Joe Timmey this week.

Offline ack

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 06:46:20 PM »
Here is what we did for leg restraints. 

Leo's crash deminstrated the need for them.

There will be some major AMA and FIM rule changes comming reguarding motorcycle streamliners.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 06:53:49 PM »
Mike, good idea. The leg restraints needed to be addressed for cars and motorcycles. Over the years nets have been allowed and approved. However the leg restraints like you have designed will help the drivers / riders legs from flying around inside the cockpit area. A net will keep them inside as well but not as well as leg restraints. Thanks for your input.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 07:52:01 PM »
i used conventional arm restraints around my ankles and an auto power twist release buckle bolted to the front floor..nothing fancy but hell strong... i think for the next build, ill have restraints sown into my suit at the knees and have restraints at my elbows, wrists, knees and ankles...
Kent

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 07:52:31 PM »
In 1998 Don Angel crashed the Vincent streamliner.  The only injuries were a bruised shoulder and his right leg, which sustained a three inch cut on the shin bone.  He reported his legs were thrown around inside the liner, causing his right leg to hit the toe release rod.  The leg restraint used prior to the accident was simple, a piece if padded tubing over the top of his legs underneath the canopy.  This system prevented his legs from exiting the streamliner, but I saw there was still too much movement of legs, so I redesigned the system.  

The leg restraints now employ wrap around velcro straps at the ankles, which affix to steel plates with half inch holes.  When the handlebars are lowered there's a mechanically operated pin which goes through the steel plates and secures the ankles from moving up and down, but still allows slight fore and aft movement for brake and throttle operation.  When the rider exits and raises the handlebar, the pin is mechanically extracted from the holes, allowing quick exit.  

After Leo's incident, I plan to improve the system even further by an additional securing mechanism for raising the handlebars.  In the event of a crash where the handlebars would be prematurely released, thereby releasing the leg restraints, wouldn't be a good thing.

Pictures of that 1998 crash are on my website, www.vincentstreamliner.com.

Max

Offline ironwigwam

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 04:41:39 AM »
Fellows,
     OK on info, I see where I need to be headed in my designing a workable leg restraint sytem that can be released when the cockpit is exited. Thanks ACK and Max for the design insights.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 09:19:32 AM »
Here is what we did for leg restraints. 

Leo's crash deminstrated the need for them.

There will be some major AMA and FIM rule changes comming reguarding motorcycle streamliners.

Thanks Mike, but I can't seem to get the file open as it says that it is damaged.  Anyone else having this problem,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 09:41:33 AM »
Good info guys, Sum, opened ok for me, here it is again
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 12:58:27 PM »
you should not be concerned with quick or automatic release but more concerned with retention, redundacy and potential failure... there have been many instances that SFI arm restraints have failed... again i have arm restraints sown into my suit and my gloves. I will add them both to my legs....
kent

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 01:16:18 PM »
Kent, Can you post a picture.  I really like your idea.  Having spent two weeks in the Lancaster hospital due to a road racing accident at Willow Springs I know first hand the failures of restrain systems and seats.

Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 02:29:03 PM »
2 weeks in a hospital is bad enough but 2 weeks with those butchers in lancaster must have been horrible....here is a pix of my arm stuff...i'll try to get a pix in the car next weekend at elmo so you can get an idea of how they attach...so what happened to you? kinda sounds like a seat failure.?....
kent

Offline ack

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 03:37:44 PM »
2 weeks in a hospital is bad enough but 2 weeks with those butchers in lancaster must have been horrible....here is a pix of my arm stuff...i'll try to get a pix in the car next weekend at elmo so you can get an idea of how they attach...so what happened to you? kinda sounds like a seat failure.?....
kent

These are the same Simpson stamped aluminum rings that were on the wrist restraints that broke during Cliff Gullett crash. Beware!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 08:35:22 PM by ack »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 03:47:24 PM »
As I recall Deist will make a "D" ring sewn to the wrist of the fire suit and a slot through the  gloves that attaches to the arm restraints. This keeps the gloves on and the arms of the suit down. Something to look into.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 04:14:11 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah