Author Topic: ESSFire.com product review.  (Read 2120 times)

McRat

ESSFire.com product review.
« on: October 15, 2008, 07:48:10 PM »
Before Speed Week, I had called ESS to get a fire system.  I told them I was doing, told them I needed a 5lb (suppressant weight) system, and asked if it was SFI.  They answered the question "Yes".  I get the product, then read the label, it was not actually 5lb, but a few ounces under.  I noticed the bracket was bent a little and wiggled on the bottle.  I assumed that is how it was supposed to be.

So I called and told them it was supposed to be 5lb minimum and SFI labeled (it wasn't).  I was in a time crunch, so I ordered the next size up, and shipped the first unit back.  I get a call and I'm told that the unit was damaged in shipping, and I would not be credited for the return.  So I told him to ship it back.

Today I open the box (cleaning up), and the "5lb" product appears exactly like it had when I shipped it.  Except he drained the bottle, and included a container of concentrate with it.  Apparently his "shipping damage" meant he sent a me a damaged one to begin with.  The box was intact, with no noticeable mishandling. 

When the "10lb" kit arrived and did have some box damage, because it was soaking wet on one side.  I weighed the bottle, checked for leaks, AOK, and installed it. 

It was not as well made as my engine kit (Safecraft).  The fittings were lessor quality, cable shorter, etc.  But it was complete and workable.

For quality, I'd give the kit (10lb) a 3 on scale of 1-10, with 10 being perfect, and 5 being average.  Obviously the 5lb system gets a 1.
For functionality, I'd give it 3.  The way the cable actuates, is primitive, kit is not long enough to rear mount, and some of the nozzles are mis-machined and need cleanup with small file.
For customer service, I'd give them a 2.  Product was delivered promptly, but apparently QC is poor as well as packaging.  Return policy was unacceptable.  5lb product was misrepresented, either intentionally or unintentionally.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: ESSFire.com product review.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 07:53:19 PM »
Pat
Joe Timney, Deleware chassis has complete fire systems and is a Bonneville racer as well. Look him up in the rule book, great guy to deal with.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

McRat

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 07:56:41 PM »
Pat
Joe Timney, Deleware chassis has complete fire systems and is a Bonneville racer as well. Look him up in the rule book, great guy to deal with.

Well, I'm set for now, but thanks.  I'm running the 10lb AFFF for the driver, then another 10lb halon for the engine.

Figured I'd post my experiences for others.  ESSFire is in the rulebook, that's how I came to call them.  Just picked the first one that caught my eye.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 10:04:41 PM »
i just looked at there ad page 188...what does it mean  "unpressurized untill needed"?

McRat

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 10:42:13 PM »
The main bottle holds a water+AFFF agent mixture.  Piggybacked on the bottle is a CO2 cartridge.  When you pull the cable, an arm punctures the CO2, which flows into the main bottle, then propels the agent out the neck to the nozzle ports.

Offline Geo

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 10:58:09 PM »
When I went looking at fire suppression systems I was told the tech guys want a bottle with gauge to see if it is ready to expel the suppressant.  Unpressurized until needed would not work.

Can anyone in tech tell us that it must be one way or either would work?

I have two 10# bottles.

Geo