Author Topic: Melting fiberglass  (Read 6351 times)

McRat

Melting fiberglass
« on: October 15, 2008, 02:38:11 PM »
header wrap???  I noticed I started to melt the fiberglass header wrap on my up-pipes.

What else would you use?

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: Melting fiberglass
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 03:42:47 PM »
Thermo Tec makes header wrap that is good to 2000ºF
http://www.thermotec.com/exhaust-insulating-wrap-graphite-black.html
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

McRat

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 03:49:48 PM »
Thanks!

Offline John Burk

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 04:05:52 PM »
McMaster has 5000 deg carbon fiber tape - $3.50 or so a ft for 2' wide .

John

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 05:43:33 PM »
Most header wrapping tape is made from a woven ceramic fiber material; it should definitely NOT melt!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

McRat

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 05:49:58 PM »
Yeah, and neither should inconel. :-D

The header wrap that melted was Moroso, IIRC, and it is white.  I assume it's fiberglass but maybe not.  When it melted, it left a black glassy residue on the pipe.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 06:06:44 PM »
Here's a link to a manufacturer of ceramic fiber.

http://www.fiberfrax.com/files/Fiberfrax-Woven-Textiles.pdf

I don't know if anyone uses this particular brand of fiber in their header wrap but unless it's a crappy substitute it should be reasonably close. They recommend an operating temp of up to 2300F-- and its melting point is 3260F! Maybe Moroso is foisting off cheaper stuff?

McRat

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 06:23:53 PM »
Hmmm...  Dunno.  I'll see if there is another package on the shelf.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 06:37:14 PM »
Inconel melts at about 2500ºF. If you are getting over 2000 on the pipes you need more than pipe wrap!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

McRat

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 07:10:30 PM »
It's actually common to see EGT's past 1800°F (where most gauges stop) with "tuned up" turbo diesels.  Normally, it only has to endure it for 10 seconds or so for drag racing or sled pulling.  But apparently LSR is not so forgiving.  That's what I have to work at over the winter. 

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 08:45:51 PM »
THis might be crazy but what would happen if you used a water injection setup on the header to lower the EGTs.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

McRat

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 09:27:30 PM »
I've thought about that, but never got around to playing with it.  I do run water injection on the front end, but what about running it on the backside? 

Problem is injecting into a 90PSI, 2000°F degree stream.  Standard water systems aren't going to work.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 09:48:22 PM »
yep you can spray water on your pipes...especially if ya like welding cracks all the time....there is thicker pipe wrap and wrap it twice.....ya also might want to open up your hot side a little to let some of the heat out....as dean alluded to if u are melting things ya better look in other places

McRat

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 11:09:32 PM »
Some of the problem is that the fuel continues to burn after the valve opens.  Diesel burns slow.  Running a bigger A/R on the turbine hsg is something I'm trying next.  But no matter what, it takes big backpressure to make big boost numbers unless you compound chargers.  As far as hotrod diesels go, I'm not pushing much boost, 45-60psi, but since it's a single charger, drive pressure is high.

Blue

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »
Some of the problem is that the fuel continues to burn after the valve opens.  Diesel burns slow.  Running a bigger A/R on the turbine hsg is something I'm trying next.  But no matter what, it takes big backpressure to make big boost numbers unless you compound chargers.  As far as hotrod diesels go, I'm not pushing much boost, 45-60psi, but since it's a single charger, drive pressure is high.
This is actually an injection and burning issue.  If the fuel doesn't finish burning before about 20 degrees ATDC, the EGT is driven by post-burned fuel and not power.  Check your injectors for proper atomization and possibly upgrade to a high pressure system.  There are also diesel additives that help atomization and increase burn rate under extreme conditions.  Some of these also decrease delay time which is risky, but allows you to go to a higher RPM.