Author Topic: The Fjastad 777  (Read 2421 times)

Offline krusty

The Fjastad 777
« on: October 13, 2008, 08:17:27 PM »
We're going to build a new GRMR and I'm trying to package everything . I really like the new 777. In looking at this car (in photos only, sadly, as I didn't get a chance to look at it at Speedweek), it appears to be coupled pretty closely engine to rear. Does this car use a transaxle, and if so,what one? Any driveline details would be greatly appreciated.   thanks, vic

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: The Fjastad 777
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 12:02:50 AM »
Hey Vic, here's a couple of shots of 777 during construction.

Roys built a race car or two....
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline krusty

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 09:29:34 AM »
Mike - thanks so much for the pics, lots of good info there. The short-coupled trans to diff is what I have been thinking of doing (who needs a tailshaft @ Bonneville?). Any more info on trans supplier and coupler? thanks a lot, vic

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 10:24:31 AM »
That looks like a Jerico with a Mark Williams coupler. The liberty box can be configured the same way, and I am sure others also could also be done the same way. If you run a suspension the whole system needs to pivot like its done on Roy's car.

The other option is a transaxle.  This is a Weismann unit similar to the one used in AL Teague's car.  It is  designed to lower the engine in the car and take 1500hp.  You don't have to run a transaxle as a "IS" set up.  It can be bored through and splined  and then use standard axles like Al did.  This one is going in a friends roadster with front and rear independent suspension.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 11:04:30 AM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline krusty

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »
Maguromic - Thanks for the response.  Not going to pay the big $$ Weismann thinks they're worth. Got plenty of experience with the 5 speed when I was  wrenching in Trans Am ('85 through '93  for me; I've seen you refer to your  being in the series, too - we might recognize each other if we met...); it's a good piece and wears well but got replaced with a Hewland where possible. The tailshaft-less Jerico is more my speed - I think it can be coupled with a sprint car ball or Porsche CV and a short slider to the pinion shaft without floating the entire drive package. I'm just looking for ways to keep that package as short as possible (and keep suspension) within "reasonable" dollars. Jerry's not too far from the shop and MVE is nearby in Mooresville, so I've got access to some resources. We do need to meet @ Speedweek and tell stories about road racing.    vic