Author Topic: material tubing thickness  (Read 28731 times)

saltfever

Re: material tubing thickness
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2008, 06:40:44 PM »
It's something I wrote,download it from "Formulas".
Mr. Panic, thank you for doing that. Very nice.

You say to subtract 0.750" from total length for the pushrod. Just checking here. . . the pushrod is the diagonal and the .750" is because of the loss of material in the fishmouth area?

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2008, 07:46:19 PM »
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:29:24 PM by panic »

saltfever

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2008, 08:07:53 PM »
I'm glad I asked.

What do you suggest to use as a total length for a fishmouthed diagonal? The the longest part of the tube or the shortest distance between the two fishmouthed ends?

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2008, 11:18:45 PM »
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:29:37 PM by panic »

saltfever

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2008, 12:23:16 AM »
Sorry, I don't feel competent to answer a fabrication question - not enough with experience. Design is my stronger card, feeble though it may be.
Your sincerity is much appreciated. :wink:  Great spread sheet . . .many thanx

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: torsional resistance
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2008, 11:33:46 AM »
I`m thinking more along the X-axis. W/ the diagonal tube coped into the 90 deg. joint any twisting of the rails would put the diagonal into a compression/torsion load. J.B.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2008, 02:05:51 PM »
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:29:51 PM by panic »

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2008, 02:09:43 PM »
One of the difficulties in fitting brace tubing is getting the tube to fit snugly against the other tube without gaps.
I found this program that lets you put in the tubing diameters and angle, then prints an accurate cut template for the tube.
Tubemiter

Text Instructions

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

saltfever

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2008, 04:13:20 PM »
More complex version also posted to "Formulas", comments and error-debugging welcome.

Thanks for the good work and the update. That is a pretty sophisticated sheet from someone that is supposedly "learning" the software. :wink:

Any chance you could do a bolt strength calculator for tensile and shear? 8-)

Offline Geo

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2008, 10:33:45 PM »
Rex brought up this, new word to me, with willie providing the correct spelling,  :wink: resulting in a afternoon of reading white papers i.e. "Buckling of Imperfect Thin Cylindrical Shell under Lateral Pressure".  :roll:

A number of thoughts on what eccentricity is from http://www.bendtooling.com/e-k.htm, Rex and myself.

eccentricity – The deviation of the center point of tube’s inside diameter from the center point of its outside diameter; normally in tube milling the permissible level of eccentricity is specified by a wall thickness tolerance.  This applies to the tube wall being thick and thin resulting in the strong (thick) portion of the wall weaving back and forth as you travel down the length of the tube moving the center of strength as you travel down the tube as compaired to the center of the tube.  Not something we worry about but the well drillers with a ten mile pipe do worry.

Rex's great description of the center line being offset from the right angle shared endpoints or vertex of the angle.  The problem is creating an offset of the diagonal tube centerline or new ray to the angle, eccentricity, creates a lever from the right angle vertex to the offset ray point making it easy for the diagonal tube to break the joint.  Eccentricity force increases for compression loading.  You should make a complementary angle i.e. 58 deg + 32 deg from the original 90 deg angle.  panic can you draw this?

My definition of eccentricity can be applied to an X joint of verticle angles made in the bracing with one long tube and two short tubes and the definition is the offset distance between the two centerlines of the short tubes.  Either (1) the offset centerlines with parallel planes like the two rails of a railroad track or (2) non parallel centerlines creating two angled joints or knee joints.  panic can you draw this?  8-)  Would an offset less than the thickness of the tube wall be OK?

The two main parameters that control the static strength of un-stiffened knee joint under compression loading are the joint angle and the diameter thickness ratio.  It is found that the joint strength is more sensitive to a change in joint angle.

My understanding is the joint should be directly across to make a straight line rather than making two knee joints or railroad track centerlines of the two short tubes. 

To change the topic slightly back to the fantastic program by panic, thanks!  Will the length of the tube change the force applied to the joint with shorter tube applying less force to the joint?  Meaning we should keep the tube length short for this additional reason.

And just another term to think about: flattening – The reduction in the diameter of the tube as the lengthening outside radius pulls inwards while being stretched between the clamp die and pressure die.  Reduction is mitigated by reducing drag at the point of bend.

I am changing a few of the tubes I have to make the cage stronger after this great thread!

willie can you tell us more about the gusseting?  Every joint?  Outside like the rule book shows or inside at the center?  How big should they be?

Dean, thanks for the TibeMiter program by Giles Puckett of AU  :-D

saltfever brings up an important fact about welding skill and equipment.  I think the cage should be made correctly with some additional money spent having a pro weld the few joints that cannot be done buy the crew.

Geo

Offline willieworld

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2008, 11:22:45 PM »
geo  i can tell you everything i know but its all theory --i will be glad to do some testing -- let me know what you want done --tube size-angles -gusset size and placement   let me know  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Geo

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2008, 08:49:20 AM »
willie,

Would you do some of your welded tube joints with gussets to show us a good way to do it and have you tested any like you tested tubing previously.  TIA

90 degree, 45 degree, 30 degree.  How about an offset X joint.  1 5/8 inch .120 because I am a car guy  8-) or any tube just to show us what happens and to keep the tester, you, safe.  Is there a point, angle, where gusseting is needed or not needed?

I do better with pictures than words too.  :wink:

Geo

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2008, 11:05:29 AM »
Outside dia.       Advertised wall        Actual wall          At the bend outside
1 1/2 od                 .083 cm                 .083                 .081

1 1/2 od                 .125 dom                .126                 .122

1 5/8 od                 .120 ew                  .118                 .115

1 5/8 od                 .125 dom                 .126                 .123

1 1/4 od                 .134 ew                   .124                 .122

Straight section was sonic checked, outside of bend was sonic checked.
Some tubing not as advertised(nominal wall thickness). The smaller the radius on the bend equals the thinner material on outside of bend.
And the more degrees of bend the thinner material on the outside of bend.
This is just some testing I did today on a few random pieces of tubing I had around the shop. They are not all exactly the same bend and each tube size is different and some of the radius are different. But I think you get the idea.
If you need any testing in particular done let me know.
Willie Buchta

Offline mkilger

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2008, 11:35:29 AM »
We were told at our LSR meeting that SCTA bought a sonic tester, Elmo next weekend sould be interesting. Hope they use it.

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2008, 01:00:32 PM »
 :-D Do the rules permit us to use a smaller diameter and wall thickness for the struts and  diagonals between the top frame rail and the bottom frame rail or would these items also be considered part of the "FRAME" and therefore have to be the same size as the top and bottom frame rails? :? :? :?

Terry  :cheers:
If I had it all to do over again...I would!