Author Topic: material tubing thickness  (Read 28737 times)

Offline panic

• My tech papers
Re: material tubing thickness
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 05:55:01 PM »
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:28:12 PM by panic »

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 10:00:20 PM »
Willie,
I am new to tubing bending. What tool are you using for your bends? I may have a project coming up to build a frame with 1.5" OD tubing and may need to buy an (affordable) bender.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline willieworld

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 11:18:35 PM »
don--its a JD squared --the bender is great mine is 20 years old and works like new and ive made thousands of bends--the dies are sold seperatly-and are 125 to 200 dollars each ---check it out---willie buchta----------------www.jd2.com/
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 06:04:06 AM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 09:00:31 PM »
.........Oh any luck on getting the spill plate and spolier templates for me... If you get them let me know and I will send you my address and postage.........Charles

Yes he said he would be glad to make templates.  Send me an address, don't worry about the postage, remember he is a mailman,

Sum

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 10:44:24 PM »
Ecentricity: This is a term that is used to discribe the actual weld joint of the diagonal tube at the corners of the two tubes that are joined at 90 degrees. For the greatest strength of the joint and the greatest stiffness the center line of the diagonal tube should intersect at the same point that the two tubes that form the 90 degree intersect. This means that you have to fit the diagonal tube to both tubes not just one. The difference in the strength of the joint and its stiffness can be as much as a factor of three.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 12:54:45 AM »
rex     C²           willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

saltfever

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 02:12:57 AM »
rex         willie buchta

Huh? What does that mean, Willie?

Offline willieworld

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 08:41:19 AM »
c squared     cc      eccentricity       willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 09:51:20 AM »
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:28:30 PM by panic »

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 12:24:13 PM »
Ecentricity: This is a term that is used to discribe the actual weld joint of the diagonal tube at the corners of the two tubes that are joined at 90 degrees. For the greatest strength of the joint and the greatest stiffness the center line of the diagonal tube should intersect at the same point that the two tubes that form the 90 degree intersect. This means that you have to fit the diagonal tube to both tubes not just one. The difference in the strength of the joint and its stiffness can be as much as a factor of three.

Rex
That much of an increase in strength makes the additional fit-up time moot. Spreading the load across two planes @ 90 deg. seems like it will add torsional resistance as well.  Jerry
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 12:55:32 PM »
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:28:48 PM by panic »

Offline willieworld

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 02:04:41 PM »
panic--i build chassis for a living and know exactly of what you speak --the diagonal  coping (fishmouth ) into both the " main rail " and the upright--- the over all strength arnt just because of the tube placement but also because of the weld placement ---both help contribute to the over all strength----willie- i do better with pictures than words -buchta
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 02:06:29 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2008, 02:32:03 PM »
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:29:02 PM by panic »

Offline willieworld

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2008, 04:29:58 PM »
here is some information on that subject       http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3837.0.html

thanks  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

saltfever

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2008, 06:21:24 PM »
I presumed that the quality of the weld, both placement and fusion, (something I'm not competent to evaluate) would always be of greater strength than the actual tubes!!
And that is the issue. Bisecting the 90 degree angle with another tube creates very small acute angles that are very difficult to weld continuously. You have to use a smaller torch cup, maybe extend your tungsten, wrap your arms around the back side to hold the filler rod, etc. Your get the idea. A competent welder will create a quality weld. However, I have seen a wide range of fabrication skill where the geometry was correct but the weld was poor quality. I'm not recomending it, but the non-bisected strut can be welded easier with less skill. The geometry may be inferior but because of easier to produce weld integrity, the joint may be stronger. That is a poor excuse for such a joint but that is the reality of what I have seen.