Author Topic: '53 Stude CBGC is underway  (Read 15765 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: '53 Stude CBGC is underway
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 04:51:01 PM »
Willie.

All I have is  1 5/8 and 1 3/4   .120 DOM  .. I will use the 1 3/4 for the Stude... If Nominal .120 is the rule then I am OK.. ( I agree with you and Sum and the IHRA)  but if for some reason they check in the bend, both the main hoop and the halo bar will have 90 degree  bends in them..

How thin would  1 3/4 .120 DOM  be if was bent 90 degrees ( would madrell bends  thin out material less ? )

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 05:02:10 PM »
charles if you have dom tubing it is within .001 of .120 wall thickness --the electric weld (  E W ) in .120 can be as thin as .115 (that is the thinnest ive found ) thats called nominal wall thickness --E W is a much cheaper material but does come in .134 wall nominal thickness (in a few sizes ) and is usually well above .125 wall thickness --the rule book lists minimuns you can always go larger if you want  --willie buchta

a bend will stretch the material on the outside  --i dont think manderal would make a differance but might even make it worse -just a guess
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 05:06:57 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline snap daddy

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 07:30:31 AM »
Sum -
IIRC: If I Remember Correctly   :wink:
We'll have to do some more thinking about trans choices...thanks for your input.  The idea of using the lockup in third is intriguing.  The funny thing about all this is the jerico I'm hoarding in my garage!  Tempting, but it's destined for my 66 Nova stock elim. NHRA car.
Charles - FYI, the kit we are using is .134.  Nice hijack of my build diary!   :cheers:
Bob - We spoke with a gentleman who had a maroon '53, BFALT I think, who recommended the straight axle...I think it had a 5" drop or so, with parallel leafs.  He recommended it due to fewer problems with alignment; we liked it because it's CHEAP!!  :-D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:41:44 AM by snap daddy »
Speed Wobble Racing

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 09:52:44 AM »
Snap,  Sorry for the HiJack,,, hmm I did it unarmed :evil:

I am very interested in your build,,, If you can keep us posted and plenty of pics.

I too was given the same advice about the dropped straight axle and parallel leafs.

Good luck and keep the Diary Up !!!

Charles "the hijacker"   :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:54:47 AM by Cajun Kid »
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 09:58:29 AM »
.........  The funny thing about all this is the jerico I'm hoarding in my garage!  Tempting, but it's destined for my 66 Nova stock elim. NHRA car.............

IIRC (  :-) ) during speed week you probably won't be running the NHRA car and it won't mind giving up the Jerico for a week  8-) ,

Sum

Offline snap daddy

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 11:13:22 AM »
Sum -
AAAAAA!!!!!  Now my only excuse is the gearing - 3.19 first gear.  No! No!  No!  Gotta get the Nova done!
Thoughts on the toploader idea?

Speed Wobble Racing

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 11:20:20 AM »
Sum -
AAAAAA!!!!!  Now my only excuse is the gearing - 3.19 first gear.  No! No!  No!  Gotta get the Nova done!
Thoughts on the toploader idea?

I have had no experience with a toploader, sorry.  What are your HP goals?   I would suggest a transmission that would take at least 60% of the HP you anticipate if it was used in a drag strip application and you would probably be good on the salt since the shock loads are less.  I doubt the Muncie we were using would handle 600-750 HP on the drag strip with a car that could hook up, but we were ok with it at b'ville, but we only ran it about 6-8 runs.

Sum

Offline snap daddy

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 09:40:57 AM »
Time for an update now that I have something to update with...the cage showed up and Dave bought a pretty nice tubing notcher, seen here:  http://www.vansantent.com/tube_notcher.htm  We got the car moved over to where the build will be taking place -
a friend's spare garage, that has (almost) everything we need: room, power, compressed air, tools, stereo, fridge, toilet, etc.  Kyle, the owner, even showed up with an Econotig while we were working!  The 'almost' is the lack of heat, but there's a gas line there so we're hunting for free heaters. 
Saturday, we got the doors and hinges off.  Sounds simple, right?  No.  It sucked.  We prevailed, however, and moved on
to eliminating the rusty floor.  Dave (bless his heart) spent about an hour with the cutoff wheel and now it's gone.  This car has some
rust issues, to say the least!  It's strange, though, because all the outside sheet metal is great.  Maybe a P.O. put new quarters on it at some point.  I spent some time looking over the frame, though, and it looks to be solid.
Anyhow, with the floor gone, it's a lot easier for me to visualize what we need to do for the cage, new floor, and rockers.
The rockers were so rusty that I can't even tell what the inner / outer originally looked like and how they joined the floorpan!
We have a pretty good idea of how it's going to look, though - we're thinking the inner rocker will be a piece of 1" x 3" tube...
then the new outers and the new floor will weld right to the inners.
Next time, the body comes off so we can blast the frame.  Another good thing about the garage - we can sandblast right next to it in the yard.  Gotta beat the snow!

We've been tossing other powerplant ideas around, too...those LS Chevies are sooo nice.  A 4.8L from a truck would be a decent basis for a 'D' motor, I think.  That would allow us to run EFI, right?  That would be a little more turbo-friendly than a blow-through Holley, I'm thinkin'.  The rulebook says 'OEM' Efi is allowed in Classic category...has anyone pushed the definition of OEM in this situation?  How much of the system would need to be GM standard issue?  Hmmm....
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 09:51:41 AM by snap daddy »
Speed Wobble Racing

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 10:14:26 AM »
The way I read the rule OEM EFI is was it available on the year the body was manufactured.  Just my take on the rule.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

dwarner

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 10:40:14 AM »
"has anyone pushed the definition of OEM in this situation?  How much of the system would need to be GM standard issue?"

All of it with nothing additional.

DW 

Offline snap daddy

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 11:48:28 AM »
The way I read the rule OEM EFI is was it available on the year the body was manufactured.  Just my take on the rule.
Dan, is this the case? Or is it referring to the engine?  Thanks
Speed Wobble Racing

dwarner

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 01:24:18 PM »
The car and the year it was manufactured.

I tossed a gentleman from impound a couple of years ago using EFI in a Monza in Classic Category. He came back in '08 with the EFI, ran in Modified Category got a red hat.

DW

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 01:36:27 PM »
..................  The rulebook says 'OEM' Efi is allowed in Classic category...has anyone pushed the definition of OEM in this situation?  How much of the system would need to be GM standard issue?  Hmmm...

Good to see you working on the car!!

The OEM EFI would have to have come stock in the car of that year not from the engine that was swapped into the car, unless I'm wrong,

Sum

Offline snap daddy

• New folks
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 10:17:05 AM »
Dan and Sum -
Thanks for the info...I guess that's good news - we won't have to add EFI to the long list
of things we need to learn before our first attempt at the salt!  I'm going to do a little
research on the LS-style 4.8L, maybe we could do a blowthrough Holley on one of those.
Speed Wobble Racing

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 10:34:54 AM »
You will need to go with a little larger bore to be able to use the Great place to start 6.2 heads mild porting ---375 cfm---2000 cheaper than the LS7 heads
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!