Author Topic: Motorcycle CO2 Bottle Mounting  (Read 11477 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Motorcycle CO2 Bottle Mounting
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 09:58:05 PM »
well its no dout that dean and i think the mounting is unsafe and wouldnt fly if i were teching it... so the question here is do you think its safe todd?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 10:18:37 PM »
I agree with Dean and Kent, looks like a single bolt attachment. The hose clamps will allow the bottle to detach on impact. The one photo looks like the foot peg might be pretty close as well. We had a car at Bonneville one year that got upside down and the fire bottle came loose and was flaying around the inside of the car still attached to the hose. It was held on by hose clamps and slid out of the clamps on impact. The driver was lucky this time but it beat the crap out of everything it hit.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 11:20:36 PM »
Just knock the bike over a few times and a few times at speed and see what happens..if the owner would not submit to that then mount it safely.. :cheers:

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 11:24:21 PM »
What bike is this on..?  Is it on a ZX12?  If so use a smaller C02 bottle or pressurize the swing arm (welding it up) and use a standard air shifter and refill it after each run.

Case solved and safely as well.. :cheers:

J

PS, just about any bike can have the arm welded/replaced and used as a tank for the air shifter..

John

racin jason

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 11:39:23 PM »
Ok fellas.

I would prefer to see any presurized vessel within the frame/ subframe rails. That being said i would mount the bottle infront of the rear wheel with a bracket that would support the bottom of the bottle and not allow the bottle to slide down if the clamps let go. With the extensions in your pic there is plenty of room to do a nice neat install.

Presto problem solved.  now back to the verbal jousting.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 12:04:47 PM by racin jason »

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 07:39:50 AM »
well its no dout that dean and i think the mounting is unsafe and wouldnt fly if i were teching it... so the question here is do you think its safe todd?

No that is not the question here Kent, read the first post again. That is your question, and after the fact... so in answer to that, I of course (as you can see in my first response) do not think it's a safe installation. But I also don't think one liners making the member or the organization look incompetent is a way to solve it or answer the question at hand.

John and Jason both utilized common sense responses that will progress the member's (and other's) understanding, rather then deter him from bringing his questions to this forum in the future.
Todd

Offline Warp12

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 08:51:58 AM »
For those of you who posted with the intent of helping, I appreciate it.

Shane

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 10:29:27 AM »
Hey Todd! My response was for Shane, not you. My initial response was because you said, in part:

it's possible it's not as bad as it appears in person

I felt your response left room for leaving the cylinder where it was, and I responded accordingly.

I didn't offer an alternative because I'm not familiar with the bike.

I don't mind being yelled at by you. You sound just like my wife! I'm left handed, an engineer, and very logical. After re-reading this post I know that sometimes the logical needs to be softened somewhat.

But this is a safety issue. Not a "will it pass tech" issue. There is a significant difference.

I know that mounting a pressurized cylinder safely is not in the area of expertise for a lot of people. Fabricating mounting brackets is also something that can be difficult if you don't have access to a machine shop. I've seen some of the "baling wire specials" at all kind of racing venues.

I'm certainly not dinging Shanes expertise, or anybody else. I think Shane did the best he could. I don't hear Shane complaining. We offer advice in the hopes that everyone can benefit from it, even if the listener doesn't want to hear it.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 11:50:15 AM »
Well said, thanks for the curteous reply Dean.

Trust me, I don't have thin skin, but many people in this venue do... and I don't want to see ALL of them run off. Shane knows like most at Maxton that if the understanding and especially the effort is put in up front, I'm the first one to offer solutions and many times the tools and materials at the track to make it right and get someone safely down the track for the weekend.
BTW, I don't have a reputaion of being a pushover in tech, but I also have never kept one person from running on the track that was willing to do the work to make their bike safe.
Todd

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 03:19:10 PM »
Dean, great follow up.

I have no problem with a logical up front answer to any question (even if I don't like the answer). I have no problem with a little dig  or verbal sparring every now and then either.

My post was to clarify intent and help the person get his question answered and let all parties know that what we intend and what we post "sometimes" gets lost in the translation.

I have read many of your posts and replys and believe you are a knowledgelbe and stand up guy and really look forward to hearing from you.

Glad you sent a clarification and all is good,

Safe and Happy Racing to all....

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Warp12

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 04:01:17 PM »
Just an update. I moved the bottle and made some changes as suggested here. Below is an outline of what I did, in case it might help anyone with a ZX-14 who is looking for a better spot to mount a bottle:

I am running a Catalyst step seat at the dragstrip, and I called it into duty for the mile. It is hollow underneath and gives some room for mounting. I also ordered some smaller 3.5 oz. CO2 bottles, figuring they would be easier to deal with:

I cut a bracket from a piece of scrap aluminum:

Instead of stainless hose clamps, I used heavy exhaust clamps. These are much more secure. I drilled the mounting bracket accordingly:

Here is the spot where the bracket will mount:

I removed the seat latch and attached my new bracket assembly solidly to the subframe:

Here you can see that the seat provides plenty of clearance and coverage for the bottle and regulator assembly:

There are a few more things to do, but I think this is much improved from a safety standpoint. If any of you have a ZX-14, you might want to look into the Catalyst seat for added room.

Shane

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 06:30:43 PM »
Warp, nice work and good pics.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 08:32:29 PM »
Nice fix, now I feel better for you. Good luck on your runs. :-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline shiphteey

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 10:09:08 PM »
Shane, looks good.  You bringing rain tires?  I'll have to ask Rick if he has any spares from Daytona...haha.

A.
Gemini Motorcycles
229.6 mph at Loring
201.957 mph 2-way average @ Bonneville;
203.85 @ the Maxton Mile
207.2 @ Maxton -- NAKED
200.2 mph @ TX Mile
195.6 mph on GPS @ the 9/10ths
9.4 @ 157 in the 1/4

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013