Author Topic: Motorcycle CO2 Bottle Mounting  (Read 11475 times)

Offline Warp12

Motorcycle CO2 Bottle Mounting
« on: October 11, 2008, 12:42:11 PM »
Due to limited space I have had to mount my air shifter Co2 bottle externally. Will this setup pass tech? If not, what needs changed?

Thanks.

Shane

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Motorcycle CO2 Bottle Mounting
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 06:21:22 PM »
Shane,
Per the ECTA rules (relating your co2 to nitrous as they are both similiar high pressure vessels):
The main mount(bottle/clamp holder) and the fastener holding it being safety wired appear to be sufficient, the hose clamps are not sufficient as they don't comply with the rule, and the bottle valve(/regulator) would suffice as it does not need protected per the ECTA rule. Again, these are observations per the rulebook's written word if relating this vessel to that of a nitrous bottle(which as a tech is what I would do).

Personally: I don't have a problem with the hose clamps if they are stainless and you are willing to safety wire them from coming loose (mainly becasue they are only holding a 9oz(1.3lb) bottle). The regulator I'm not so happy about being out there like that (especially in a simple fall) as it is (especially the gauge) a very easy and fragile target that is capable of releasing 1200psi plus of pressure at it's recipient(s).

The whole unit looks (from the pictures) to be the furthest point out on the bike which makes it questionable on it's ability to take a hit on a simple fall over, it's possible it's not as bad as it appears in person but tucking it in somewhere may not require you to get called on it in tech or more importantly to have an issue that hurts yourself or someone else should it take a hit. I do like the fact you have the blow off disc ports horizontal to the ground btw.

Just my thoughts.... but a broader picture of the bike may lead to another member suggesting a better mounting situation (IE, under the tail, to the swingarm itself, inside the fairing, etc, etc).
Todd

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 12:58:48 AM »
If you just knocked the bike over in the pits you could break the mounting bracket and shear the regulator off and have a missile going through the pits. It isn't safe. It isn't even close.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 03:03:35 AM »
hey Dean...there talkin ECTA here..... i just might fly there...
kent

Offline Warp12

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 07:16:35 AM »
Thanks for the input, Todd. I have a few changes to make and I will post some more pictures. That is actually exactly how the air shifter kit is supplied, mounting and all. I'm not exactly thrilled with it, either.

Shane

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 08:27:17 AM »
If you just knocked the bike over in the pits you could break the mounting bracket and shear the regulator off and have a missile going through the pits. It isn't safe. It isn't even close.

Great unasked for specualtion there Dean.. care to answer either of his questions?
Todd

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 08:28:10 AM »
..... i just might fly there...
kent

We'll all be waiting at the airport for you Kent  :roll:
Todd

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 08:41:40 AM »
Shane, check out the 14 that runs there that I snapped pics of with the left side undertail bottle and valve protection mount... very stout and secure. I think it'd be well worth contacting him and seeing if you can get the measurements or a reproduction of his unit from him or his machinest. I can't seem to find a pic right now or remeber who's bike it is.. will look in my other computer when I get a chance if you don't have or remember it.
Todd

Offline Warp12

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 08:51:29 AM »
I've seen that mount, it is very nice. I found out that it is a custom fabricated piece. After this event I will likely have a swingarm mounted bottle; I have to get some welding and machine work done for that.

Shane

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 09:45:40 AM »
You Go Todd.... see you next weekend.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 09:54:55 AM »
I believe the bike you're referring to is associated with GPW from HPC rider/owner is Leslie. Shane, you remember GPW, Racheal's buddy.   :-P  :roll:

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
Great unasked for specualtion there Dean.. care to answer either of his questions?
Todd

You are absolutely correct. The question was will it pass tech. I don't care if it passes tech, it's unsafe.

as it is (especially the gauge) a very easy and fragile target that is capable of releasing 1200psi plus of pressure at it's recipient(s).

There are two ways to get through life.
1. Pure hope and blind luck.
2. Take a risk management class and learn how to manage risk safely.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 10:19:06 AM »
If you would of listened in class rather then chewing on your covers then you would of heard the part about communication skills being one of the most important parts of risk management.

Again from you.. more words with less answers.

Managing risk involves problem solving for those at risk... to do this effectivley you want to communicate with the one that has the most influence on changing that risk. In this case it would be the owner of the bike that also happens to be the one asking "What needs changed?"... it really doesn't get any easier for you to help in this case (if you have any actual answers that is).

You will find your self to be more effective if you read the other persons words and questions, more then you read your own answers.
Todd
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:30:21 AM by DahMurf »

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 07:39:04 PM »
Dean and 1212,  It seems as if your tart reply was more of a dig at the ECTA and the Question.

Now I know that in these forums the written word can and sometimes does come across to the readers much differant than the sender intended.  As a Member of the LSR Community as well as the ECTA and Soon to be SCTA, I would think we would all want each venue to succeed and prosper and be supportive of each other and lend constructive helping comments.

Not to say you meant for your comments to seem as if tech at ECTA was inferior or lax,  but some could read that into it, re read the question, then Dean's response, then 1212's (what appears to be a dig) reply.

If you read it, maybe you will see why Todd made such an explanatory reply.

Have a great evening and let's all be supportive and get along.

Charles
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 07:42:03 PM by Cajun Kid »
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 09:24:37 PM »
This has nothing to do with ECTA. They do a great job.

What I posted is true for anybody. Look at the mounting and tell me what the result will be in an accident? It is going to come off and become a potential hazard to the rider. Even if you don't leak the contents the bottle could hit the rider.

I'm just looking out for everybody because I don't want to see anybody hurt. Ever.