Author Topic: My 55 Studebaker build called "It's about time"  (Read 22937 times)

Offline LIGGAN

• New folks
Re: My 55 Studebaker build called "It's about time"
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2008, 01:14:13 AM »
What are you doing for the front end?  Stock 55 Stude or going with the 53-54 style?  My 55 has no good front sheetmetal, save a hood with the typical kinked rear corner.  Therefore I am going with a fiberglass 53 style front.  My build is for gas coupe class, so I will need to open up all the grille openings and also make the hood opening.  I can run an air dam from the front bumper outer profile straight down.  That's it for gas coupe, no spoilers or spill plates or top chops.  Basically a stock body (and frame!!) with an engine swap.

Your chop looks nice so far, post up some more pics when you get a chance.
I would have liked to run gas coupe....but I had already done the mustang II front clip a few years back. So that would have put me in altered....then I saw Hooley's chop and decided to go for it.
I have all the 55 sheetmetal...my hood also has the kniked rear corner....but a few years ago I found one without the knik. My gandpa has a 55 president with a mustang II front clip and a big block 454 with tri power setup on it....I left all my front end with him....he likes haven extra stuff around....never know when some idiot down here in so cal could hit. I plan on runnin the fiberglass frontend....make it all one piece...easier to take on and off

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2008, 12:22:58 PM »
  Having spent eleven years trying to change spark plugs and adjust valves while leaning over the front fenders on my Stude, I agree with the one piece removable front end idea.  Unfortunatly for me, I basicly built the front half of the car with eveything from the air dam to the bumper to the core support, to the fenders, to the inner fender panels all bolted into one integral mass.  Ugh!.......boy, to start over with a blank sheet of paper.  That's why I recomend to all you newbies to go to Speedweek and TALK to the owners and drivers of EVERY similar car and get their opinions before you build yourself into a hole.
  The School of Hard Knocks can be very expensive.  When I finished my build, I had a pile of uneeded and unuseable parts worth over a thousand bucks.  Changes are immenant, so try to plan ahead.
  If I was to start over, I would put a lot more emphasis on serviceability and redesigning the door x-braces to be removable............lifting a four speed Lenco over the water tank and door braces really suck.............. also, I cannot remove the heads with the motor in the car...........ugh..........Bob
Bob Drury

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2008, 03:14:32 PM »
What are you doing for the front end?  Stock 55 Stude or going with the 53-54 style?  My 55 has no good front sheetmetal, save a hood with the typical kinked rear corner.  Therefore I am going with a fiberglass 53 style front.  My build is for gas coupe class, so I will need to open up all the grille openings and also make the hood opening.  I can run an air dam from the front bumper outer profile straight down.  That's it for gas coupe, no spoilers or spill plates or top chops.  Basically a stock body (and frame!!) with an engine swap.

Your chop looks nice so far, post up some more pics when you get a chance.
I would have liked to run gas coupe....but I had already done the mustang II front clip a few years back. So that would have put me in altered....then I saw Hooley's chop and decided to go for it.
I have all the 55 sheetmetal...my hood also has the kniked rear corner....but a few years ago I found one without the knik. My gandpa has a 55 president with a mustang II front clip and a big block 454 with tri power setup on it....I left all my front end with him....he likes haven extra stuff around....never know when some idiot down here in so cal could hit. I plan on runnin the fiberglass frontend....make it all one piece...easier to take on and off

My understanding is gas coupe can use a different front suspension, such as Must II based, but you have to still use the stock frame.  In other words, no subframe clips.  I am leaning to a dropped solid axle conversion myself.  Simple and effective.  The Jaguar front suspension is also a candidate along with the Must II style.  No firm decisions yet.

The plan to make the front end removeable for servicing is a good one; I will make mine removeable.  The better we all discuss and plan, then hopefully we have less do-over in our builds.  I guess I should start a build thread soon for my project.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2008, 08:56:12 PM »
38chevy,,, yep start a build page,,, looks like there is 3,4 or 5 of us all doing a Stude at the same time and from near abouts the same starting points... Ligg has the Chop done and getting with it....Snap seems to have a good plan and I have the basic car onsite, have the motor that I want to use done and in another car, but have yet tobegin any thing except the research on suspnesion, chassis and cage...

I wish us all good luch and great builds... do a post so we can all follow each others build up.

So far there is 38Chevy, Ligg, Snap and Myself. who else is embarking on new Stude LSR project ??

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline will6er

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2008, 11:32:50 PM »
Greetings All-

I am starting a '53 Studebaker. I hope to be ready for Speed Week 2010. If the market rebounds, it may be sooner.

Just yesterday, I came across some info on front suspensions for Studes.

Slick Street Stuff
865-525-6151
309 E. Anderson Ave.
Knoxville, TN 37917

slickstreetstuff@bellsouth.net

It does look "slick", as the name implies.

Hope this helps

Will6er

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2008, 01:14:51 AM »
Greetings All-

I am starting a '53 Studebaker. I hope to be ready for Speed Week 2010. If the market rebounds, it may be sooner.

Just yesterday, I came across some info on front suspensions for Studes.

Slick Street Stuff
865-525-6151
309 E. Anderson Ave.
Knoxville, TN 37917

slickstreetstuff@bellsouth.net

It does look "slick", as the name implies.

Hope this helps

Will6er

You have any pics, link or a description of what this front suspension is?  Inquiring minds want to know......
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2008, 05:10:12 AM »

Offline GH

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2008, 10:21:32 AM »
I was able to run in the classic class when the engine was mechanical injected but could not run classic when I went to efi.