Author Topic: My 55 Studebaker build called "It's about time"  (Read 22941 times)

Offline LIGGAN

• New folks
My 55 Studebaker build called "It's about time"
« on: October 10, 2008, 02:48:46 PM »
It's time to start my build..........o.k. maybe I should start over and say..........it's time to start again on my build....for the third time! I bought my studebaker when I was 15...had all the time...just no money....at 18 ....I had some money....did a mustang II front clip...then went braindead for the last 14 years. For some reason I could never bring myself to sell the car...I've owned it over half my life and have never driven it.(I know how sad and stupid that sounds)  Anyways.....I'm alittle older...and hopefully alittle less stupid...and with the group of friends and family I have now....it's about time I get off my a$$ and get this thing started.

The plans as of now are...chopping the top (after seeing Hooley's stude)...so that buts me in competition coupe...One of my best friends owns a machine shop and after looking over an old rule book wants to build a 302 SBC....so it'll be in D/GCC. Here's a pic of the car as it sits as of yesterday.....hope'en to start the chop this weekend.....so I'll post more pics and updates as soon as I can.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: My 55 Studebaker build called "It's about time"
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 03:39:30 PM »
Hey Liggan, it looks like a good winter project to get started with. As you know you will lots of help on the web site. At least you are close to a bunch of good help and supplies down there in So Cal. Keep us up on the build.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline snap daddy

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 04:21:13 PM »
Cool, another Stude!  We finally get to start on ours tomorrow - hopefully it'll run next year in D/CBGC, also with a 302 SBC (+turbo).
Maybe we can have parallel Stude build diaries through the winter.
Good luck!
Speed Wobble Racing

Offline mkilger

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 05:33:18 PM »
Liggan, looks good so far,Iam in Riverside too let me know if you need a hand going  the chop, have a sheet metal shop we do lots of chops and custom metal work aka Kilgers Kustom Metal.  We have a fuel roadster that we are building and a streamliner  in the shop right now. (909-888-9045 Mike

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 07:10:06 PM »
Hey, Liggen,

It IS about time (money, too). :-D

If the rest of the car is as straight as this appears to be, then half the battle is won.

Chop it low and make it go!

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline comp

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 02:15:41 AM »
 :cheers:waiting to see

Offline Bob Ragsdale

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 10:36:41 AM »
Think long and hard before you chop the top on your stude.  It is much more competitive in classic class as what the classic class was started up for.  Check out the competition in cc.  Can you imagine if one of the 300+ mph camero or firebirds with a few modification decided to run cc.  If you don't have the full front clip it is available in fiber glass and would be legal.  In classic class I have held the E blown gas record currently hold the D blown gas record for 5 years and have qualified on several occasion 4 mph over the C record.  Again think long and hard you can always make changes to the engine size or make but its hard to unchopp the top.      :-)

Bob Ragsdale
#745 - 200 MPH member

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 11:48:26 AM »
Think long and hard before you chop the top on your stude.  It is much more competitive in classic class as what the classic class was started up for.  Check out the competition in cc. ................Again think long and hard you can always make changes to the engine size or make but its hard to unchopp the top.      :-)

Bob Ragsdale
#745 - 200 MPH member

I agree if you want to be competitive in comp couple a stude is not what you want.  We found a niche and jumped in there, but the niche is going away fast.

c ya,

Sum

Offline LIGGAN

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 03:29:45 AM »
Mr. Ragsdale and Sumner.........thanks for the info.......But like your post said....you can't unchop a car..........it's already done.....I should say that its been started....The car really is more for myself and friends to have some fun......don't get me wrong.....a record will be the goal for El Mirage.......but we are lookin more towards the journey....like tonight.....havein afew beers,with all my buds, workin towards the goal.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 10:08:32 AM »
Bob, I thought in Classic the top could be chopped 3 inches ?  I run Classic Gas Alt
E/CGALT  with my 33 Ford Vicky (sedan)  Is the chop allowed because it is a pre 1948 ? 

I have not started work on my 53 Champion yet and will post pics soon...

I for sure want to run E/CGALT  with the Stude too !   

SUM,  if in E/CGALT  I can run a rear spolier  how could I get cardboard templates of Hooley's rear spoilr/wing assembly ?

Thanks

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 03:49:14 PM »
Cajun, I will jump in to this discussion.  A chopped top on a 53 Stude puts you in comp coupe.  I don't believe the spoiler on Hooley's stude would be legal in Altered Coupe.  Check the rule book, and you will see what I mean.  You need to decide whether you want to build one or the other.  They are two very different animals, and don't innerbreed easily..................Bob
Bob Drury

dwarner

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 04:10:33 PM »
2008 rulebook, page 64, paragraph two.

Only pre-1949 bodies may be chopped in the Altered classes.

DW

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 04:21:22 PM »
DW,, thanks  I thought it was 48 or 49 and back that can be chopped... That is why I was able to Run CGALT and still chop my 33 Ford 3 inches...

Hmm  so to run my 53 Stude  in CGALT  I can not chop the top... oh well, at least as I read it I can modify/stregthen the frame/chassis/suspension...

That's what I will do..

Thanks for the clarification DW.

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 04:46:27 PM »
...........  I don't believe the spoiler on Hooley's stude would be legal in Altered Coupe.  Check the rule book, and you will see what I mean.  .....................Bob

I though that with an altered that a spoiler with spill plates was legal.  Gary Hart runs one in AA/BGALT..

......................... but is not running in "classic" if that makes a difference. In the altered section, page 64, it does say "A non-stock spoiler is permitted as defined in section 4.CC.6", but there again I get confused on how "classic" works.

Hey Bob how about sending me some pictures of your car, so I can add them to my site under....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bville-cars-1/bville-all%20numbers.html

.......... thanks,

Sum

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 04:53:51 PM »
As I understand it, in Classic  the "altered rules"  are the same as in any "altered" class...

Not sure, bit would sure like clarification before I start on any spoilers....

We now know Chopping a 53 is NOT allowed in Classic (only pre 1949's in Classic can be chopped a Max of 3 inch)

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT