Author Topic: Steering setup  (Read 5554 times)

Offline Superfast Matt McCoy

• New folks
Steering setup
« on: November 16, 2008, 06:13:48 PM »
On a streamline motorcycle, do I need actual handlebars or can I use a steering wheel?  For that matter, can I do something where I have two levers not connected to each other that ride along linear bearings and each attach to the wheel through rods and linkage?  Something like this:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Steering setup
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 08:30:30 PM »
Section 7.H.14 of the rulebook addresses steering for streamliners - and while it does discuss handlebars and doesn't talk about steering wheels, I'd say you'd best ask the M/C committee for a strict ruling.  Just 'cause it doesn't say no isn't good enough for my tastes.

Steering controls are mentioned in a few other sections of the M/C rules, and in each case it talks about handlebars, not a wheel.  Again -- since a 'liner is a one-off I'd ask for input from the top of the pile of motorcycle inspectors and rulemakers.  Check with Tom Evans or Van Butler.  And don't forget the easiest way - go to the SCTA website (a link is on the home page of this site) and click on the request for rule interpretation (I forget the exact wording -- Dan Warner knows and posts it frequently).  That's your best way of getting a request into the rulemakers.

Speaking of that link -- I'll ask here and also go directly to them - I wonder if SCTA would allow me to put the link to the rules on the front page of landracing.com.  It might help generate a better conversation between seeker of knowledge and the rulemakers.  Dan, or anyone else -- let me know what you think of the idea.

Oh, man, I just noticed that you've asked the question in the Bub's topic, and since that event runs on AMA rules (or FIM, if that's the record you're after)  -- it probably would be best for you to ask AMA or FIM for what they'll allow.  Sorry for the confusion.  I won't erase what I've said -- my questions and comments still have merit in general.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 08:32:25 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jdincau

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 09:22:59 PM »
You might want to do a full size mock up of that system before you commit to it. My brother was going to use a handle at each side with links in bearings on his streamliner (car). In the cad design and in theory it was great till he was strapped in. He couldn't do it with just his wrists and the belts kept him from using his shoulders. Think 7 point harness and arm restraints. He re designed with a steering wheel.
Jim in Palmdale
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Freud

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 09:53:37 PM »
Take a look at Mannings 'liner. I don't think it has handle bars. I think there is a control on each side and when one goes ahead the other one goes back.
Other people have paid more attention to it than I have.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 09:55:18 PM »
FWIW, I thought one of Dennis Manning's liners used joystick steering.  Best to learn from others than repeat the whole learning process.

I second Jon's comments "it probably would be best for you to ask AMA or FIM for what they'll allow."

My understanding of the rules is that this would prevent you from running under SCTA, which seems like it would limit your track time, so might want to look into that and consider that as well.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 10:53:13 PM »
Manning's liner does have joy sticks....your linear bars will work, in theory... if you don't have to move your arms...dincau is right as soon as your strapped in you'll see you wont be able to move your shoulders and elbows. Jim your brother is gonna have problems... i did the steering wheel thing on the Harley bike liner in 02 and it failed miserably...i guess it might have worked if i had never ridden a motorcycle or bike in my life...ya see once you've counter steered a bike anything else will feel really really strange...remember those banana seat stingrays with the steering wheels in the 60's....yep just imaging that kind of weirdness laying flat on your back strapped in with a three layer smow mobile suit and helmet on
kent

Offline jdincau

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 11:16:10 PM »
Kent
   My bro's is a car streamliner not a bike. I was just using his expierience to comment on the idea.
Jim
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 11:42:26 PM »
Dincau...
yep a steering wheel will work good in a car  :-D good thing he thought of it  :-o  hey ya comming down for the SDRC banquet thingy?
kent

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 09:17:34 AM »
I think I would submit a design using the Morse Push/Pull if that is what you want to use.  While this is in the Bub section and using Morse would be legal there, I think you could and should submit a design to the scta and show how it is as strong and reliable as a rigid rod that might impale you during a crash....  :|
Good luck with your project, it is not easy to design and build a special construction project, persistence helps.  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O