Author Topic: Studebaker classes  (Read 5748 times)

Offline Gentry

• New folks
    • http://www.autoinstruments.com
Studebaker classes
« on: April 10, 2004, 11:33:00 AM »
Anybody know what a good class for my '53 Studebaker Pan Am racer might be?  Bone stock body - car really, I'll repower for Bonneville.

Can I run a 259 w/turbo in "Blown Gas Coupe" "E" engine class?

I see a turbo Avanti set the record in D/CPS, but I don't see an "E" or a "B" engine even listed.  Does this mean these engine classes are open?  I need to order a rules book, but what are my options in E/CPS?  Does "Production Supercharged" mean my '53 can't run because it didn't come with a supercharger?

Thanks,
 Gentry Zentmeyer
 Here's what I do:
 www.autoinstruments.com
 classics@autoinstruments.com

dwarner

Re: Studebaker classes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 12:55:00 PM »
Gentry,

Bonneville records are listed if a record exists. This is to save some space in the rulebook. If an engine class is allowed for a given body configuration and no record is listed then that record is open. Two consecutive runs to produce an average will give you a record no matter what the speed. In other words, there are no BNI minimums at Bonneville for an open class. The Bonneville 200 MPH club however does have a set of minimums for open classes.

In your case the Production Supercharged class(x/PS) is allowed engine sizes from C thru J. There is no AA thru B classes. The reasoning behind this is that it was determined that larger cubic inch engines are extremely rare in the production classes which were supercharged. At this time no one has presented any facts to dispute this.

If your Studebaker did not come with a supercharger as an O.E.M. item then adding a turbo will put you into a Blown Gas Coupe class(x/BGC). Adding a supercharger is one of the criteria moving a vehicle into the Gas Coupe classes. The current E/BGC record at Bonneville is now 187 mph.

You are right that a rulebook and access to this message board is your best bet in deciding which class you want to compete in. The 2004 rulebook is now available on the www.scta-bni.org website.
 Although the shopping list indicates a 2003 book in fact clicking there will get you a 2004 book. I'll have Ed fix that when he returns from vacation. The people on this message board are some of most experienced and friendly I have found. The combined years available here must number in the hundreds.

Thanks for your question, welcome to the world of LSR,

DW

Offline Gentry

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 01:13:00 PM »
DW,

Thanks very much for the information.  It sounds like I've got to run in the Classic Blown Gas Coupe class.  I don't know if I'm reading this correctly, but in the SCTA Bonneville records, it seems to show CBGC with E engine recording a 152.351 record.   This car is from Geisler, Vail, and Banks.  Is this correct or is the record 187 mph?

In the CBGC class, this is for unmodified production car bodies on gasoline, but with a turbo or blower added?  My car fits this criteria?

Thanks again,

Gentry

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 01:41:00 PM »
Gentry,

That was a test to see if you can figure out out convoluted class system - LOL -

No kidding, I made a misteak. In my haste I skipped over the Classic part. I should know better because I was involved with that deal from the beginning. You are correct, your '53 will run in the Classic Blown Gas Coupe class(x/CBGC)class. The record is in fact 152+.

Sorry for any confusion.

DW

Offline Gentry

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 04:48:00 PM »
Thanks, DW.

We're knee-deep in putting this car together for the Pan Am race.  If you'll give me an e-mail address or tell me how to do it here, I'll send a couple pics.  Neat car, very professional.

I appreciate your advice regarding the Bonneville classes.  What other classes can a mostly stock '53 Stude run in?  I see some "Modified" classes but until my rule book gets here it's hard to tell much from the SCTA site.  I know the best thing for me to do is read the book, but I'm just killing time on a drizzly Sat afternoon talking about LSR cars.  Living in Martinsville, VA doesn't put me in much good company unless I want to talk about NASCAR.  No, I don't.  F1, Vintage Racing, Carrera Pan Am, Bonneville, love it.  Please make NASCAR go away....

Gentry

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 03:06:00 AM »
You guys need to check out http://waitz.dnsalias.org/Salt2Salt.html  For another Stude being built.   RF

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 10:34:00 PM »
Gentry,

There is a Classic Production class for your Stude. The engine must be equipped as O.E.M.

You can email me at dwarner@electrorent.com. I'm there from 4AM to 12:30PM PDT.

DW